Two questions

NoLonger

I read the manual but couldn't find the answer to the following questions:

1. Fixed elevations: will they fix default FSX/P3D elevation problems or only FS Global mesh elevation problems? If the latter is true, what if you don't have FS Global mesh? Will the fixes be skipped or disabled?

2. Roads: can they be disabled? I remember reading it's all or nothing without an interface to select things but maybe the roads can be disabled in the Scenery Library? Or isn't there a seperate entry for the roads? I am thinking about getting Vector for the waters/coastlines only but I wonder if that will work.

EDIT

Oh wait, one more: did anyone already check how much of the VAS Vector uses?

To answer question 1 myself, I read this in the manual:

"

"Orbx has also partnered with PILOT’s who have released a download version of their worldwide FSGlobal2010 Mesh product, called the “FTX Editionâ€. This is the mesh product Orbx beta testers used when testing Vector and although it is not required or mandatory, it’s a quick solution to provide a worldwide mesh which you can purchase and download from the flightsimstore.com – this is a ~24GB download though so be aware that’s a lot of data!

Vector also works perfectly fine with FSGenesis and a myriad of other freeware meshes available. The most important thing to remember is that Vector corrects all airport elevations to their real-world elevations. This means if the mesh you are using is not accurate, you may see plateaus or trenches at airports. The best way to solve this issue is to invest in a global mesh product that provides the most accuracy."

So there is a huge possibility that when I use default FSX/P3D mesh a lot of airports suddenly will be on plateaus or trenches and the only way to 'solve' this is to buy a mesh addon for another 60 euro's...?

So there is a huge possibility that when I use default FSX/P3D mesh a lot of airports suddenly will be on plateaus or trenches and the only way to 'solve' this is to buy a mesh addon for another 60 euro's...?

Certainly looks like the only way to fix these plateaus caused by default mesh is to blow another 60 odd euro's on a mesh product.  I wonder if I can force FSGlobal 2008 to install into P3DV2 :lol:

Hm, well, in that case, I'm out. It also seems impossible to disable the roads somehow so I am out anyway. I also read that the FS Global mesh only offers rather low res mesh in Norway where I spend most of my time (while there is brand new free high res mesh available right now), so FS Global isn't a solution for me. This means I will focus on FTX regions from now on. I might buy one or two while they are still on sale (SAK for instance) and just hope they will be made P3D 2.0 compatible soon! ;) And then the wait will be for FTX Norway!

Certainly looks like the only way to fix these plateaus caused by default mesh is to blow another 60 odd euro's on a mesh product.  I wonder if I can force FSGlobal 2008 to install into P3DV2 :lol:

I am going to give FSGlobal 2008 a try. I just need to fine it first .  :)

If this is the reality - this is really deceptive marketing.

http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=2712&osCsid=h21eqhvj8hd67hahqj51gqdeq6

FTX Global VECTOR is designed for FTX Global BASE and requires that product to be installed also. 

Not a word about required mesh........

Hello,

Thought you could choose if you wanted to correct the elevations or not, as if you don't own any mesh product and you don't need/want to fix the elevations or that would mess up the scenery. So, can you choose at installation?

Thanks

So, can you choose at installation?

In another topic it was posted that you can manually remove the elevation files: there is no option to do this during install or to take care of this with FTX Central or whatever, but in the end you CAN disable the elevation fixes if you want to use default mesh. In that same post however it was also said that not only the airports have been fixed to fit with FS Global 2010 but of course also the waters are sculpted around FS Global 2010 mesh... so without FS Global 2010 you may get waters running up the hill and other errors. So imho FS Global 2010 is mandatory after all to completely enjoy Vector and this should have been communicated. But right now FS Global 2010 isn't even mentioned on either sites (Orbx and FSS).

In another topic it was posted that you can manually remove the elevation files: there is no option to do this during install or to take care of this with FTX Central or whatever, but in the end you CAN disable the elevation fixes if you want to use default mesh. In that same post however it was also said that not only the airports have been fixed to fit with FS Global 2010 but of course also the waters are sculpted around FS Global 2010 mesh... so without FS Global 2010 you may get waters running up the hill and other errors. So imho FS Global 2010 is mandatory after all to completely enjoy Vector and this should have been communicated. But right now FS Global 2010 isn't even mentioned on either sites (Orbx and FSS).

This is not as once was stated on this same forum. Anyway if the mesh (better if the FS Global ones) can fix original FSX elevations problems all is good, but if for Vector to work and not "mess up" FSX elevations then the FS Global mesh (or any other) are mandatory that's not good at all. This need to be clarified asap.

Ciao

I re-installed FSX without UTX and GEX just to be prepared for OrbX products. I did buy Vector but after reading your posts I may wait forever before installing it. I'm really not in the mood to buy yet another mesh product just to make Vector work the way it should be. Like Andy stated above "This need to be clarified a.s.a.p.".

This is the first product I have ever bought from Orbx that I am initially disappointed with. Like Jeroen, I too would like to disable the roads, as IMO they are far too wide and 'in your face.' However, as others have stated, the mesh issue is a big one. I never intended to blow a load more cash on mesh. If the elevation data cannot be removed and we have to live with all these terrain anomolies, then... hmmm.... as Andy said, this needs to be clarified.

BTW: This is what JV said... There will be an option at installation time to optionally install the corrected airport elevations. This allows people using default mesh only to use Vector without any plateaus or troughs.  I have to say, I missed this one. So there is a way to address this issue...

Archived