Please help

Russell Peskett

It's more than likely that you have done something wrong in the install, take Global out, run your sim and make sure it is running OK, then reinstall Global and make absolutely sure that you follow the instructions.. It's still the Christmas holidays (Boxing day) in Aus, so service might, understandably, be a bit slow. Teecee.

Hi Russell.

Ensure you follow the right process.

Ensure FSX is closed.

Ensure FTX Central is set to default and *not* Europe. Then close it.

Download Global.

Unzip using a good unzip program but *not* Windows zip (it corrupts the files and this often throws the 'disk2' error you are seeing).

Make sure the unzip completes fully.

Right-click the installation file and select Run as Administrator (always a good idea, regardless of where it gets run from or installed to).

Make sure you register / activate when asked (easiest to do this online).

Let the Flight Sim Store (FSS) wrapper un-wrap the product; not the warning about *not* clicking finish too soon

(I always move the finish dialog out to one corner of the screen so I don't get confused and accidentally click it too soon)

Follow the screens to install Global all the way through to the end.

Only once you have completed the install and closed the wizard, *then* you can click the finish button on the FSS wrapper.

Read the PDF manual; take specific not of where in the FSX scenery library the Global entries should be; make sure they are!

Download and install the latest ORBX libraries (this is a 'must do' after installing just about anything ORBX); again, Run as Administrator is a good idea.

Open FTX Central (it should be v1.0 build 1040 October 2013).

Select the region you want or select FTX Global (you will probably want hybrid mode if you are not selecting a specific region: red about this in the manual).

You should be all done and you can now go check it out in FSX.

Good luck.

Hi Russell,

Most of the team is offline right now spending time with their families for the holidays so support is a little slow today.

But since you are starting from scratch on your install you can install Global first. If it is asking for a second disk ensure that the downloaded file has been extracted to a folder on your desktop.

The advice above should be very helpful as well, if you need further assistance after installing Global just let us know.

Regards,

Alex

The black buildings is a DX10 issue I believe (I don't run DX10). May or may not be fixed with "DX10 Fixer". Other people have had success with this tool. Do a search and you should find details. I believe you can get it from the Flight Sim Store. ORBX will have to comment on DX10 compatibility as I cannot remember their official stance and don't want to say something wrong here. Oh, and you would need to disable DX10 support in REX as well if you disable it in FSX. I think.

The libraries are available from the ORBX website at http://fullterrain.com just go to the Support page and they are right down at the bottom. This page will have all the updates for your products too, and it is a good idea to put those in as well. You need each update; generally they are not cumulative, so if there are three patches or updates you install 1, then 2, then 3 and then the latest libraries (again!). Generally, when install a patch or update for a specific region you should first set FTX Central to that region: if you read the instructions in the update box when you run it, that should tell you (like most people, we tend to skip past these boxes without reading, but there is good and important info in them: the guys don't write that stuff for nothing, but we all tend to ignore it!).

Always install or re-install the latest libraries after adding or removing anything ORBX on your system (unless you have removed absolutely everything ORBX, obviously).

Cheers

My god! I was using DX9 on 16bit not 32! Just changed to 32, checked some DX9 cfg tweaks and I can run the whole thing completely maxed out with full V-Sync and get solid 60fps everywhere, no tearing and no black bits!!!!

Sorry to waste your time guys, I've spent a year trying to get the DX10 settings ok, Lol (I did wonder why my laptop wasn't handling it???)

Thanks for the support though, now I know how to use the bloody thing im sure ill be purchasing more Orbx software :)

Archived