PDMG J41 or Feelthere Embraer 175/195?

Benny

Hey guys, with all those regional size airport it's time for  a regional plane.

After some research I ended up with those 2.

Those 2 are in my price range, anyone of you guys have experienced those bird? 

It look like the 175 eat less runway for shorter take off.

I'm no cold and dark lover also. But I read they can both load ready to take off.

Any comment or other suggestion would be appreciated.

Ben

Out of those two, the J41 for sure.

The J41 is / was a great addon but its 2009 roots and FPS intense nature does not make it a huge plus in FTX regions.

My personal choice for a regional aircraft in 2013 would be the Majestic Dash 8 Q400. It really is excellent and light on FPS to boot!

(plus you are from Montreal so how can you not go with Bombardier? ;D )

Ha ha ha. Yea, your right. Work for them for 6 years. That is some years ago.

The DASH 8 was on my list. You are confirming what was my first choice anyway.

On top you say it's easy on FPS.

Thanks for your comments.

Have the J41 don't have the FeelThere Embraer, but correspond often with a friend who has one and he has had loads of frustration with it.  A lot of it having to do with the FMC.  By the way, you must start the J41 cold and dark by the procedure, and you have to do it exactly right or the engines won't start, or worse will catch on fire.  It's a great airplane and have really enjoyed flying it in and out of FTX Southampton and Cardiff (as well as several regional FTX default airports, e.g., Cambridge, Biggin Hill, Leeds Bradford, Blackpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh...)

Q400.  

The J41 and its engines have given me some spectacular fires and black smoke!  

Not the models fault, just my stupidity, but the Q400 is the common turboprop in QantasLink, so it makes sense to me.

What "FPS intense nature" are you referring to? I can park amid all the statics at Bozeman and have a solid 30. Can hardly complain about that.

I find it gets bogged down pretty easily in high detail areas / cities, but as always Bruce, I'm sure you are quite right......

Either way, it's certainly not in the same league performance wise as the Q400

By today's standard, my FSX computer is low spec, but I have no trouble with the J41 and my Orbx airports. I love flying the J41 in Brindabella colours from Canberra to Tamworth. Or Qantas colours (ficticious) Melbourne to Launy.

I dont own the other, so can't comment.

Happy flights!

I bought the Q400, so far it's ok no more, not worth 60$. It as close to no external view and for me who like to film and take SC it's a big deception.

The handling feel very real (my instructor was a Q400 pilot, had the chance to fly in one), the animation and detail are not of today standard. 

Landing gear is fast like the real plane but no sound almost. The engine sound is great but louder then the real thing.

I hate starting engine, waste of precious time on my side. We should have a choice of doing so or not with every paid addon. For those who have hours in front of them and like cold and dark cockpit good for you.

Anyway, without any reading they where ready in 3 minutes. It look pretty nice with the Quantas livery.

The VC is nice but not out of this world (but it's complete and everything seem to work) and no better then some older plane. FPS are as stated, very good in general.... so far.

Still, this thing is not a WOW like the buggy ::)  Airbus V2 ver 1.15 from Aerosoft. (this one is a hate and love relationship)

But the Q400 is made for short runway so I'm happy on this side. It stop on a dime with effective reverse engine.

I will report more later

Ben

"the animation and detail are not of today standard"

Really? If thats how you feel then fine, but I think its right up there as one of the best at the moment. Also think the VC is great personally.

"the animation and detail are not of today standard"

Really? If thats how you feel then fine, but I think its right up there as one of the best at the moment. Also think the VC is great personally.

Well. let me test this one a bit more.... ::)  It was late yesterday and I was tired.

Maybe I had to many...few beers >:D

What is sure it look bug free and good on FPS. And one of the best as to plane reaction to stick input.

A lot of bigger plane feel unreal as to pilot input - pane reaction. (reacting to fast), the feel of inertia is not really present.

Not the case with this one. Same goes for landing.

Ben

The Q400 is, hands down, the best regional turboprop on the flight sim market. Period. Well worth the $60. Realize the flight dynamics are coded outside the confines of FSX, so you get no FSX limitations on turboprop realism. And when the Pro edition is released later this year, you'll have shared cockpit and HUGS.  The Feelthere E-jets are not bad, though, and I think is one of the best regional jets package out there right now, along with the ERJ v2.  If you're patient, the greatly anticipated Aerosoft/DA CRJ700 will hit the market - in fact it is slated to be released this year. I'm really looking forward to that one.

Oh, forgot. The Razbam Metroliner III is going to be released this month. Another greatly anticipated turboprop.

Todd

If you're patient, the greatly anticipated Aerosoft/DA CRJ700 will hit the market - in fact it is slated to be released this year. I'm really looking forward to that one.

Oh, forgot. The Razbam Metroliner III is going to be released this month. Another greatly anticipated turboprop.

Todd

Thanks for your feedback. But no more I will buy a fresh product from Aerosoft. I'll wait tat bugs are fixed.

I updated their Airbus X V2 1.15 a few days ago and they mess it up.... again.

Good I was able to go back to 1.10.

I purchased both.

Currently out of the 2, I only have the JS41 installed.

But then, I like realistic flying, not "Start with the engines running and apply full throttle axis and pull up" type flying.

JS41 has some fairly realistic engine management stuff that is required, and this is remembering that you're flying 2 garrett geared engines. They will quite happily respond to control inputs that result in their own destruction.

If I was asked to place my favourite addon aircraft for FSX in a list, the Majestic Q400 is easily top 3. The other 2 fly at FL370.

Thanks for your feedback. But no more I will buy a fresh product from Aerosoft. I'll wait tat bugs are fixed.

I updated their Airbus X V2 1.15 a few days ago and they mess it up.... again.

Good I was able to go back to 1.10.

Well, I'm not a tubeliner person, so I can't speak for the Airbus.  Also, don't forget, the new Twin Otter is getting rave reviews. I don't own it but it's a very popular add-on and most people really like it.  I think making a good Airbus is a challenge for just about everyone.  So, I wouldn't judge Aerosoft on the Airbus alone. Also remember, Digital Aviation is creating the CRJ700, not Aerosoft. Aerosoft will be the distributer and provide support. DA has made some very good aircraft, from what I understand.

Until then, get the Q400. Also remember, the Q400 works in P3D and is allowed to be used in P3D. So, should you ever decide to move to P3D v2.0 when it's released, both Feelthere regional jets products and the Q400 will work (based on what I am hearing, all addons that work in P3D now will work in v2.0), whereas you cannot legally use any PMDG product in P3D. 

Todd

I thought i would revist the Feelthere 175/195 the other week, everything going fine until i enter the flight plan, on the first waypoint i entered it wanted the coordinates for the waypoint even though i was using an updated nav database. I dont know if that is normal or not for the aircraft or a bug but that with its poor quality cockpit, no paint kit, no updates as i believe it reached its EOL 3 years ago was enough for me to remove it asap again.

Well, I'm not a tubeliner person, so I can't speak for the Airbus.  Also, don't forget, the new Twin Otter is getting rave reviews. I don't own it but it's a very popular add-on and most people really like it.  I think making a good Airbus is a challenge for just about everyone.  So, I wouldn't judge Aerosoft on the Airbus alone. Also remember, Digital Aviation is creating the CRJ700, not Aerosoft. Aerosoft will be the distributer and provide support. DA has made some very good aircraft, from what I understand.

Until then, get the Q400. Also remember, the Q400 works in P3D and is allowed to be used in P3D. So, should you ever decide to move to P3D v2.0 when it's released, both Feelthere regional jets products and the Q400 will work (based on what I am hearing, all addons that work in P3D now will work in v2.0), whereas you cannot legally use any PMDG product in P3D. 

Todd

Hi Todd. As a customer  and not a beta tester I want a product to work, not perfectly is ok with me but somewhat work. I don't care if it's an Airbus software for FSX or a coffee machine.

Lately I have a small problem of elevation in Queentown, I ask here for some help and I got it (fast on top). It's not fixed fully but it's a good patch. Perfect support from ORBX.

The Airbus V1 never worked on my computer, I could never finish one flight, could not save a flight could not do much... It was a disaster for me and of course my rig was the problem (Aerosoft words). Fine, deleted the thing and use Quality Wing stable 757.

Same goes with the Majestic Q400, it work perfectly. If for any reason I'm not fully satisfied with this product it won't be because it's not working as advertise.  If I think it could benefit for more external view it's my thing. But never I will blame Majestic for that. To be honest I love the bird more and more.

We the customers at some point have the right to critic. I try to do it the right way, a positive way but sometime I fell. (like my critic on Stewart).

Back to the sim with the Q400. ::)

I'm with you ftp2etc.

I know this forum is careful about how other products are named, but some criticism is reasonable if reasonably expressed.

I wasted my money on the Wilco CRJ Next Gen v2.0.  It is buggy beyond belief.  But I am having a hoot with the Feelthere Embraer 175/195 v2.0 which has been well tested and is well made.

The Airbus Extended v2.0 is still buggy and touchy.  I happily fly the BBS 318/320 and their A330.  Not as sophisticated but at least working.

The turboprops are a matter of choice, the PMDG J41 is brilliant and complete, the Majestic Q400 the same, and although I do not have the Feelthere Embraer, as long as it is not a Wilco version it should be no problem.

The PMDG 737NGX is a benchmark of course, although regretfully I cannot install their 777.

And I should have mentioned the iFly NGX, with a HUD for all of the larger 737s is excellent.  The iFly, BBS and Aerosoft all have P3D installers which is great for me.

For smaller GA Carenado has a great range, with P3D installers, as do many other favourites like the models from A2A Simulation,  and a large number like the Milviz models install and fly brilliantly.

There is so much well made aircraft and scenery available, that I hope the rush to market publishers discover that in the end the market judges with its feet.

Just to add to my saga:  I am sure that you must think I am some sort of simming St Paul, but I lack his piety and insight.

The Feelthere Embraer is great, but the VC textures are old and tired, and in that way it really detracts from the overall enjoyment.  It is really only the 2D panel that is updated to support the HUD.

Well, spend 2 hours with the Q400 yesterday filming in Canberra, steady 25-30 FPS wile FRAP is running. That is pretty amazing FPS.

Landing, this thing must be one of the most realistic plane to land that I own. If you are slightly to slow just before touchdown your cooked, it's also the first plane that as to be trimmed constantly on the rudder, the dynamic (I did some reading outside the flight sim community) of this plane make it somewhat unstable at landing (rudder wise), i said somewhat!

I would have think that that big high wing would have floated for ever on landing.... not the case. Keep some power.

The engine sound are out of this world. So far not a single glitch with the plane.

Ben

ftp:  yes the Q400 is a beauty, and it shows the benefit of having been built primarily for the commercial training market ..  and we enjoy the spin-off.

I mentioned the Aerosoft Airbus Extended as having problems.   I simply have not solved the problem of making my hardware throttles work.  Judging by the forums dozens of others have the same problem.  I hope they come out with a patch or a hotfix real soon ..... Otherwise it is a F2/F3 power management which does work on the airbus as only at the call 'Retard' (which my grandkids believer refers to me) do you need to use F1.

PS with the Q400 the wing-loading is high, hence the smallish float.  That is, the weight of the aircraft expressed as kg per sq cm, or metre, is high reducing its float on landing once power is removed.

Archived