Southampton Aircraft crash when near runway edge

AviatorMan

I am loving this airport, but have encountered a problem:  if my aircraft gets within a few feet of the edge of the runway, it crashes.  It's not a  system crash, but an aircraft collision.  Had this same experience when Shoreham came out a few months ago, but ORBX released a file replacement which corrected the problem.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Maybe you are all such good pilots that you stay true and centred on the runway and have not had this problem.

The easiest option in FSX is to keep crash detection disabled unless you have another add-on that requires it.

You know when you've crashed!  I think the feature was put in there to discourage kids from treating it as an arcade game and trying to crash.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys...I have had the same problem since I installed FTX Scotland. I crash when hit any grass or stray off taxiway, runway, apron etc... in what seems like most UK locations I try to use. I also see some grass on the runway, taxiway and aprons. Same thing happens in my Wales...don't crash into grass here but still see what looks like parts of the default Cardiff airport and runway, taxiway and apron grass as well as position of default taxiways etc.

Since the Scotland install, I have installed Elstree (perhaps Elstree before Scotland...can't remember... and Southampton EU airports...I crash into the grass in Southampton here too. I want to leave crash detection on but don't know where I have gone wrong and what I can do to fix things? Don't know if anyone else has had this issue but its stopping me from buying and installing EU airports and NI region as I need to fix the issue before proceeding. I do not seem to have this issue in any other regions outside EU. Can anyone help please? I have not had to and try to avoid using the support section if I can. Indeed, this is my first time to ever do so as I simply cannot figure out how to fix it but its spoiling my experience and ability to buy and enjoy these great EU region EU products. :smile: Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can continue with adding more EU regions and airports.

Thank you in advance for any help,

Sid

Hi Steve and everyone,

Any idea what might be wrong? As I say, my issue is not restricted to Southampton, nor to runways only, nor to turning the PMDG too sharply. It seems to be happening all over the FTX EU airports I try...or at least most of them...including the simple upgraded EU region ones. If I hit grass, the aircraft crashes (not pc or fsx crash...aircraft collision). Also seem to see grass from default on FTX aprons, runways, taxiways (hard surfaces basically). In Cardiff...I see parts of the default taxiway etc alongside the FTX version of the taxiways). Haven't a clue what's wrong or what I can do about it to sort it out so I can continue buying, installing and enjoying FTX EU regions and airports. I want to add NI, once things have been fixed but for now, its driving me crazy that I just can't use the EU areas. Need to solve it before I can proceed with FTX add-ons or I'll just make the situation worse and it'll take even longer and be more complex for me to fix it ultimately. As I say, don't have the issue with non-Orbx add-ons or other Orbx regions in fact. Can anyone from the team help me figure out and resolve this when you have a minute please? I :( If any more information is required, I'd be happy to try and provide it. Some potentially useful information in advance:

• No changes to hardware from the outset of starting to use any FTX products
  • Always used Traffic 360 from outset prior to any FTX product - have it below FTX products...even disabled their modified airports...
  • 'Grass etc. on hard surfaces' issue only since Wales (Cardiff airport) installation. No problems noted with preceding FTX England install. Also possibly noticed this issue in Aberdeen, FTX Scotland. ?Seems to be a possible duplication/overlap of features of both Default and FTX taxiways/runways etc.
  • 'Collisions with airport grass areas' issue only noted around the time of FTX Scotland or Elstree install (this airport is my only add-on which runs very, very slowly - its gorgeous but stutters like crazy even in a Carenado C337 - have put this down to proximity to London - but unusable - all other Orbx/Non-Orbx sceneries run like a dream). First place I noted this issue was Aberden in FTX Scotland. Only other EU add-on after this - Southampton.
  • Next EU add-on waiting for purchase and install - Northern Ireland

Hope that helps but please let me know if there's any other info I can provide to help?

Thank you very much,

Sid :smile:

Hi Stan,

Thanks for your input mate!

It would be good to know if that's indeed the issue in my case and that its not limited to just EGHI as I'm totally happy to wait for fixes. It's just that I thought because my particular issue seems more widespread and not restricted to just one or two airports and there's grass where it shouldn't be in Wales, Scotland etc...that it may be a different issue or even 2 separate issues I'm having. Alongside the fact that I haven't seen more than a handful of the other guys have either these 2 problems.As I say, if I can get some confirmation that what you say is indeed the problem with both my issues (default grass displaying on FTX hard surfaces and, secondly grass collisions,) I am more than happy to wait for fixes. I just wondered if something had gone wrong with my installs that was already known about or I could correct already?

Sid,

It's a little hard to say what your particular cause(s) is/are.  I believe a number of fsx users routinely keep crash detection turned off (I know I do) so they are not going to be reporting the problem of crash collisions, i.e., you aren't going to be able to judge much by observing how many other users report this problem.  I just happened to notice Lar's response above so wanted to call that out so that you would know that your message had been at least partially received.

I would think grass-where-it shouldn't-be is a separate problem so I'd advise you to keep your oar in the water on that one.  Having browsed the forums off and on for some time, I think a lot of these sorts of issues turn out to be the result of having one or more competing sceneries on your system and fixing them is a matter of identifying which ones and then removing those you don't wish to keep or changing their order in the scenery.cfg file.   Good luck with that.  Orbx can help some with that but there are so many possibilities that their help probably will be limited.

Stan V

Hello again Stan,

Thank you for your further comments and I can say that what you say in your first paragraph could possibly be the case to some extent. As I say, I will wait and hope some kind of patch will be possible to use the program with collisions on if his is in fact the case, as I appreciate some fly with them off and some with them on. I fly with them on. I had already read Lars's comment and will for now have to presume that this is the case for my crash collisions on most FTX EU products, though I'm still a little sceptical if there's no official confirmation that this is the case for most users outside Southampton which Lars refers to.

Please keep in mind, I have previously resolved any issues I've had myself to my limited abilities, without bothering the team which I know is busy and in no way is this my intention on this my first (and hopefully last if not seldom) support issue in which I am not able to understand if I have a known problem and what to do for now on it (sit tight for a patch or implement some already known solution on what I should try).

However, on the second issue of grass on taxiways etc and seeing parts of default taxiways alongside FTX taxiways and progressive taxi leading me onto those instead, I did already consider your plausible and helpful reasoning regarding conflicting sceneries...I had this issue with default and FTX Cardiff for some time when I purchased FTX Wales and thought it might have been due to UTX Europe or something else installed in UK or Europe. For this very reason, I tried everything I could think of, I even recently started a completely fresh installation of FSX on a new 500GB SSD and deliberately didn't install UTX or any non-Orbx add-on scenery in the UK. I can say that in the UK I have no other products installed at all except EU FTX regions and airports for this very reason you kindly suggested. However, the problem persists and cannot be due to any non-FTX scenery product in the UK as there simply aren't any that I have installed. Like you say, perhaps Orbx can't help with it all, I do appreciate that, but I'm sure there could hopefully be some input as I now only have FTX products sceneries installed in the UK. I'm not a continuous problem poster I assure you. This is the first I have ever posted in the support section but I'd simply like some help in trying to understand and solve either of these issues (such as try reinstalling something or changing some scenery order for FTX products etc...or something else I don't know) or to be told these are known issues for which a solution is not yet available but is being worked on for a later date. That is all I am asking as a loyal and supportive customer of this great and very talented, busy and professional team. I am not demanding anything...I am not requesting help without making an attempt to search forums or trying to help myself first...that's not me...I am only asking for help and from your last post I do think you understand that...thank you for that and your attempts to help and your wishes for me to resolve my problems with FTX EU installations, sincerely. :smile:

I would only ask a member of the team for, when they have a little time to do so, to help me out a little with something I didn't already try so that I can continue enjoying and adding to my FTX EU sceneries without compounding my problem and the solutions by doing so? I know they are busy and don't expect an immediate answer and I will be patient and understanding in this light. Its only right o do so. Thank you again for trying to genuinely help me Stan and for your fair and balanced understanding as well as reasonable logic with potential solutions. I should have mentioned I tried that but still have the problem with only ORBX UK addons installed alone for UK. No UTX...no Heathrow...no UK2000...no photo scenery...nothing else. Only wonderful Orbx scenery...Just want to buy and add more as soon as possible.

Hopefully, the team will see my request for help in the next couple of days and offer some support. I don't mind waiting sensibly and reasonably at all. Any help when you can team? :unsure:

Thank you and best regards,

Sid

Archived