Jeff's Round the World with ORBX (016)

jpreou

Leg 16 - Jeffman (WASS) to Ratulangi (WAMM)

Made the move from Papua New Guinea (West Papua) to Indonesia, on a dawn departure from Sorong/Jefman overhead Babullah (North Maluku islands, Indonesia) and on to Ratulangi, nr Manado  (North Sulawesi island, Indonesia). Total flight time some 3¼ hrs or so.

Leaving Jefman at dawn; what a sky!

rnip.jpg

cff2.jpg

nzc8.jpg

Settled into the cruise at altitude witha  tailwind and my normal 145kt - 150kt cruise is pushed to 190kts over the ground! However, in short order it got pretty bumpy, so I reduce power back to around 160kts or so and climbed to 9500ft into cleaner air; still making good time though :)

tklr.jpg

It's a beautiful day

1e87.jpg

Finally, some humans!

7zpr.jpg

Overhead at Babullah

r703.jpg

lrnr.jpg

Weather is closing in again

uzuy.jpg

Approaching Ratulangi I'm going to need to slide underneath this gunge

oqez.jpg

Joining the downwind for 18

pqt3.jpg

I take an extended downwind, since there is no other traffic, just to overfly this little settlement to the north.

zttf.jpg

The approach is a little tricky; there is a rise just on finals which means you have to hold some altitude and then drop in; I was a little long on the approach for this one, but that's a looong runway for an RV, so no problem.

fohh.jpg

Short finals

0yxm.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Thanks Guys, I was really quite pleased with those first two. Sometime; just sometimes, I manage to capture something a little better than my normal average fair! :)

I didn't make Taiwan this evening, but leg 17 is posted and I think I've improved the night shots a little with post-editing (a tweak to brightness and contrast)

Thanks for the kind comments. Very much appreciated.

I'm enjoying this tour. I can stay a little lower for the next few hours as I trek up the Philippines and then over to Taiwan. Hopefully I'll be able to grab some reasonable shots of the scenery, if only this incessant cloud and thunder activity would take a hike! :)

Cheers

Flying in that part of the world means you're going to deal with frequent heavy weather, so I'm not surprised hearing you about turbulence and CB's. That's what is magic with real life weather, the experience is even more realistic. Great story and captures. I'm following the trip.

Archived