Trike has disappeared from start up screen

Tonyla1

I seem to have developed a weird problem with my start up screen where you click all your options i.e plane, airport etc. The box where the Trike spins around is all black. When I click to choose an aircraft, they all show up as per usual however if I click on one for details, again, all black and no plane appears.

If I choose a plane and load the flight everything is normal and the correct plane is sitting on the runway.

Does anyone have a fix for this? Its not serious enough to do a comple FSX reinstall, its just very annoying. The only changes I have recently made is using raedon pro and the sweetfx configuration manager. The sim is performing normally in all other respects.

Cheers

Tony

Hello Tony

I have seen that problem with some ATI/AMD and also nVidia drivers.
Usually when we try betas or latest RTM packages, It affects FSX and even mess up some of our video pro capture software.
(Black Magic and ForeSight boards)

It has something to do with DirectDraw, OpenGL and D3D.

Check Your ATI/AMD drivers.

Hi Wolter,

I don't use ENB at this stage. I'll check on any Vidcard tweaks and try shift +F12.

Hi Ramon, I'll check out drivers too.

The problem is more of an irritation than a performance issue, but still, I'd like things back to normal

Thanks guys

Ok, now I'm really puzzled.

I restarted FSX tonight and presto, after a week of missing Trike, there she was. This is before I even attempted any of the suggestions above. The only thing different is that I reconnected my computer earlier tonight  to an ADSL modem (after not being connected for a week). Is this a coincidence, or is something in my system or fsx itself dependent of being connected to a live modem? I can't imagine so, but it certainly is a strange turn of events.

well you know the phrase "MS works in mysterious ways" 

must admit that I also fail to see that being connected to the net or not has to do with it, although maybe you have something running around there that constantly polls for something on the net and eats up resources in the background

Can only recommend to pay a visit here => http://www.blackviper.com to kill off all not needed crapola that runs havoc on ones system

Maybe when you connected your PC to modem and if you have Windows Update set to automatic then it might have had downloaded  some updates in the background, including an ATI/AMD driver.

But as you said it makes no sense….

Glad it’s working for You.

Cheers.

I get the "black box" when my video card driver fails to start correctly... But I usualy know that that will happen when I get the according message after booting the computer. Have you checked your driver? Has that changed/updated itself lately?

Cheers

Mallard

I haven't changed any drivers lately. The black box is back again.

I'll have to confirm this when I get home from work, but it seems that after I reboot the computer and start FSX on its own (without starting Raedon pro and sweetfx configurator), then the trike is there.

If I launch FSX through the configurator then no trike. This all started happening after I started experimenting with settings in Raedon pro and the sweetfx configurator.

I haven't had my trike disappear, but I have had two black squares standing vertically and rotating with the trike.  That is strange and I don't know what causes it, but I seemed to have fixed that recently by installing the latest directX, and I actually extracted the files it asks you to extract directly in to the main FSX folder.  I think I also updated c++ runtime files.

Cheers,

Archived