Can we rebuild scenery without the default button

peebee

Hi my question is as above with Global installed we no longer have a Default button in FTX Central. By habit I used to change from say Oceania to default then to Europe. Or set to default and let FSX rebuild the scenery if there was a problem. Is there a way to do this now default is no more?

There is no need to do so. FTXG replaced the default FSX sceney files that made default FSX look so ugly. So the "FTX Global" button replaced the "Default" button. How to use it is in detail (with some examples) explained in the manual.

In your case it means: when you fly only in Oceania, you choose this with the "Oceania" button. When flying only outside Oceania (or any other FTX region) you choose "FTX Global".

But read the manual, it is very simple.

Hi my question is as above with Global installed we no longer have a Default button in FTX Central. By habit I used to change from say Oceania to default then to Europe. Or set to default and let FSX rebuild the scenery if there was a problem. Is there a way to do this now default is no more?

FTX Global is the NEW default, so where you would previously choose FSX default you now choose FTX Global. Simple as that. Don't know if there is a real reason to go from Oceania to 'default' before going to Europe, though... but well, if this work best for you or if you like it that way, simply treat FTX Global as if it is FSX default because it now is! ;)

Hi thanks for your swift replies.

The procedure I outlined is what is reccomended to rebuild the scenery files if for instance you had an elevation problem.

I think you may have both missed the point of my post.

Best regards

OK, so what you mean is to get back your old fsx files. That would mean nothing else then uninstalling FTXG. Unfortunately there is no uninstaller available at the moment, but orbx is working on this.

But I do not see how you can get an elevation issue with scenery files, as they got nothing to do with elevation/mesh.

The procedure I outlined is what is reccomended to rebuild the scenery files if for instance you had an elevation problem.

Best regards

Maybe we missed the point indeed but my answer "FTX Global is the NEW default" still is the answer to your question. ;)

Hi peebee,

as already mentioned by previous posters, if you want to switch to default set FTX Central to FTX Global, untick the 3 selection boxes and hit Apply,

fsX will be set to "default", the exception being that the "stock" fsX textures as they have been replaced by the FTX Global textures, will not show.

the functionality of fsX in that setting is the same as it was the stock fsX.

Best regards

But I do not see how you can get an elevation issue with scenery files, as they got nothing to do with elevation/mesh.

I don't know how either, but happened to me too.

I had to reinstall SAK and PNW after FTX Global because I was seeing mltiple elevation errors. Afterwards I reinstalled the latest ORBX libs.

Edit: I just saw Wolter's post and that is exactly what I did. (untick the 3 selections)

Anyway all areas are now working for me, including England, Wales and Scotland which I had bought but had not installed.

So switching to FTX Global and unpicking the 3 boxes. Then restarting FSX will rebuild my scenery files as it used to do if Default was selected, then you started FSX.

There's a lot of posts here on the forum where ops have reported problems switching directly fro one scenery to another and they have been advised to switch to default THEN switch to another scenery area. Or to switch to default then run FSX to rebuild the scenery files an I correct?

Ok, I've managed to sort out my elevation problem at NZMO, by copying the backup files from the scripts/au/OFF folder back into world/scenery.

I still have a problem in PNJ with the areas that should be water around CYM Chatham and the Chatham Straights being filled in with autogen trees.

peebee,

it's relatively simple, if you are in a particular region, let's assume NA, then all NA FTX elevation adjustment files in the scenery/world/scenery folder should have the .bgl extension, the AU and NZ ones should then have the .off extension.

most problems occur with installing various addons and not double checking that things are set correctly before installing, I can relate to it as with enthusiasm all want to see the new stuff asap, alas there's where things go wrong 99 out of 100 times.

Hi Wolter, as far as the PFJ if I disable Tongass in my scenery library the water in the Chatham straights and I assume in the rest of the Tongass area reappears. If I enable it again the water is covered with autogen trees. I have tried Tongass both above and below all the FTX entries in the scenery library.

Hi Holger, thanks again for that. Now back to normal with Tongass below FTX in the scenery library.

Best regards Phil

Ps to answer my original question setting FTX central to Global with the 3 boxes unticked and running up FSX will rebuild the scenery library?

Archived