A lot of trees..way too many.

rlkjmt73

This question is for anyone.  My home town airport Opheim (S00), and surrounding area, in NE Montana, does not have that many trees as depicted in FSX/FTX: Global.  Hardly any trees at all in that area, to be honest with you.  Can someone tell me the easiest way to rid of the trees?  

It seems that after I installed FTX: Global all of those trees appeared.  However, I may be wrong.  I've done different configurations with FTX Central, for example, unchecked "Use Orbx Trees", use the "North America" only, unchecked "Hybrid Mode", etc.  The trees are always there.

If this is the new default now, then I guess I may have to create my own scenery exclusions with ADE or other scenery design programs, is this correct?

Any ideas?

ORBX.......you guys do fantastic work.  I wish I had the know how in what you're doing.  My flight sim days have gotten a lot more enjoyable.  Of course, my wife is starting to frown, as I'm buying more addons, not only scenery, but, things like TrackIR 5, Flightsim Commander, etc.  Thank goodness she bought my yoke and pedals about 15 years ago.

Keep up the fantastic work.

Rod

you could reduce the autogen trees with a little line in your fsx.cfg file

[Terrain]

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000

max number are for both 6000

play a bit with those and you should achieve a favorable result

Thanks Wolter,

I'll give it a try.

.....Rod

There was some discussion on this topic already in the forums, which I then used the results.  I have different cfg's for the FSX.CFG using the FTXGO and set up different trees and buildings amounts.   Trees are not in abundance where I live, so seeing them in all there glory, in Global, is sort of refreshing.   The lowest setting I used was buildings 500 and trees 700.  

It would have looked that way in FSX default. Well... Not the same trees. But the tile called for them so FSX dumped them there. FTXGlobal may have made them more lush and therefore more noticeable.

This is the same at some of the default airports I have intimate knowledge of as well. :)

It's your landclass's fault. FTXG made it pretty enough for you to care. ;P

C.

No...In FSX Default there were hardly this many trees. 

I changed "TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500" to "700, 100, and 45", and it didn't make any difference either.  Maybe I'll put it to zero and see what it does.

That's all right, I'll figure it out somehow.  I used Airport Design Editor a while back to fix the FSX default airport itself, and with the exclusion(s) I was able to get rid of some of the trees around the airport.  I'll just use the same exclusion, and enlarge the area.  Now I just need to fix the difference in altitude, I guess, as I have some small hills on the airport and my airplane sinks...ha.  Gives me something to do.  Thanks anyways guys.

Again ORBX, thanks for the great products.  I flew from Colorado into Utah this afternoon and the terrain looked outstanding.

Rod

Try also pulling the autogen slider back a bit.

The main issue however for your local airport would be landclass. If there are too many trees the the reason is simply that the landclass being called is likely forest, mixed forest or scrub, and perhaps it should be open fields and crops.

I think Rod is describing the landscape that exists in this part or the world (Southern Alberta and Northern Montana. Trees are very uncommon if grain farming areas. Most scenery textures show some tree lines between fields ( windbreaks) These are very uncommon here and you can often look miles away without seeing any trees. They are sometimes planted around the farm buildings but there are none between the fields. I haven't found a texture yet that accurately replicates this although some of the FSX Global dryland textures are close. I know the textures are used across Norh America so dedicating several textures to replicate this is not practical. I often have turned the autogen density down which helps but maybe in the future you could do a texture that better reflects this landscape.

Definately am enjoying FSX Global so far. A lot of areas are much improved. (Rio de Janeiro is stunning)

Thanks

Larry

I think Rod is describing the landscape that exists in this part or the world (Southern Alberta and Northern Montana. Trees are very uncommon if grain farming areas. Most scenery textures show some tree lines between fields ( windbreaks) These are very uncommon here and you can often look miles away without seeing any trees. They are sometimes planted around the farm buildings but there are none between the fields. I haven't found a texture yet that accurately replicates this although some of the FSX Global dryland textures are close. I know the textures are used across Norh America so dedicating several textures to replicate this is not practical. I often have turned the autogen density down which helps but maybe in the future you could do a texture that better reflects this landscape.

Definately am enjoying FSX Global so far. A lot of areas are much improved. (Rio de Janeiro is stunning)

Thanks

Larry

Larry....thanks for explaining this to everyone.  You're absolutely correct as the only trees you would see in our neck of the woods are around the farm buildings.  Like I stated before, not a big thing.  I don't even fly around there much as I do other parts of the US, like ID, Oregon, Alaska, western Canada, and also do a lot of flying in England.  With FTX Global, other parts of the world are attracting me a lot. 

Ah understood Larry.

When we do the USA with openLC we will be adding the appropriate farmland texture relevant to the area.

John,

Thanks a lot for the info.  Back in my little brain I knew your team would be doing something in the future, and that's why I wasn't that concerned.  Appreciate the responses.

All the scenery you have put out are fantastic.  Thanks.

Rod

Rod

Just had a flight across northern Montana and the landclass is not correct so way more trees than in reality. I Have flown across Southern Alberta and Saskatchewan and am using the Western Canada Landclass from Flight Ontario which uses dryland farm textures. Still too many trees but much better than the forest textures in Montana. If you head north across the border you may want to try this.

Larry

Rod

Just had a flight across northern Montana and the landclass is not correct so way more trees than in reality. I Have flown across Southern Alberta and Saskatchewan and am using the Western Canada Landclass from Flight Ontario which uses dryland farm textures. Still too many trees but much better than the forest textures in Montana. If you head north across the border you may want to try this.

Larry

Thanks Larry....

I'll go to Flight Ontario and check 'em out.

Rod

Archived