Another Northern California question..

birdguy

How detailed is Yosemite National park going to be?  Will El Capitan and Half Dome be detailed and how about the waterfalls?  Yellowstone falls in Yellowstone National park is great.  I hope you follow up with the same detail in Yosemite.

Noel

Yes. I know Yellowstone very well from at least a dozen fly fishing trips up there on both the Yellowstone River and the Firehole. I was very impressed. I hope Yosemite impresses me as well.

Noel

Hi guys,

Yosemite and Yellowstone are entirely different terrains and should not be thought of as any way similar.  I do know that Alex is working on doing a PR of the Yosemite Valley floor but how that sheer face of Half Dome will be done I'm not sure.  I'll mention to him about the falls but vertical drops like that are difficult to make look good as PR.  If there is a way, Alex will find it.

Cheer's Neil

Yosemite is indeed on the photoreal list and I believe my coverage extends over most of the important areas. I haven't gone too in depth with the area yet though. Most work has been on the extensive photoreal areas in the northern half of the region so I am open to ideas and suggestions!

Yosemite is indeed on the photoreal list and I believe my coverage extends over most of the important areas. I haven't gone too in depth with the area yet though. Most work has been on the extensive photoreal areas in the northern half of the region so I am open to ideas and suggestions!

Alex,

I hope you consider extending the photoreal coverage of Yosemite up the Tenaya Canyon to Toulumne Meadows and the Cathedral Range.  Unicorn and Cathedral Peak are very well known landmarks of the Yosemite high country and deserve to be given the Orbx touch. 

Holger set the NCR boundaries sometime back and Lake Tahoe is actually split down the middle. FTX Global eases the transition at the border edges. However if lakes are your interest I have a handful of interesting photoreal lakes north of Tahoe and south of PNW...

Holger set the NCR boundaries sometime back and Lake Tahoe is actually split down the middle. FTX Global eases the transition at the border edges. However if lakes are your interest I have a handful of interesting photoreal lakes north of Tahoe and south of PNW...

Nice!  Shasta or Whiskytown Lakes?  (drooling)

Well the California/Nevada Stateline goes right down Lake Tahoe, but IMHO, this will look quite ridiculous if half of the area is ORBX, and the other half is just crap!

Hi guys,

actually, the eastern NCA boundary runs about 10 miles east of Lake Tahoe meaning the lake won't be "cut in half". I suspect Alex mistook the CA/NV state boundary for the NCA boundary.

Cheers, Holger

Whoops, Holger is right again. I opened GE and thought my NCA KML was ticked, was actually looking at state borders. Apologies for the confusion!

Sweet!!  That means Tahoe is in there with a few miles to spare.  The NCA border will run right up to the western outskirts of Carson City and Reno, it would appear, assuming that it runs north/south about 10 miles east of the CA/NV border.

Me again,

as for the Yosemite waterfalls I don't think they'll be implemented with dynamic effects. If you look closely at one of our existing waterfalls that has those effects you'll notice that (aside from the separate spray effect) it's a rectangular "billboard" with a texture of falling water on it. That texture gets moved downwards several times per second thus giving the illusion of a curtain of water, sort of like a short repeating movie. That approach looks OK on a wide waterfall but tall, skinny ones like those at Yosemite would look very odd. Moreover that "billboard" has to hover in front of the terrain mesh and since the mesh itself changes with increasing distance from the observer -- lower resolutions are automatically loaded which means more rounded shapes -- the billboard often gets partially buried or sticks out way too far from the rock. That's why we used static "whitewater" vector textures for tall and narrrow waterfalls in the New Zealand regions and elsewhere.

Cheers, Holger 

Hi Holger,

If NCR includes the Eastern Sierra (Yosemite) to the Nevada border does that put the string of airports south of Reno/Tahoe along CA 395(Bridgeport, Lee Vining, Mammoth Lakes, Bishop, Lone Pine, etc.) into play? Just wondering.

Hi salange,

I can only find a FSGenesis Yosemite waterfalls file for FS2004 though it may still work in FSX. Whether it fits the NCA terrain mesh is something you or others can test once NCA is available.

Only a few airports east of the Sierra Nevada and south of Lake Tahoe will be inside of NCA: looks like M45 (Alpine Co), KMMH (Mammoth), and 2O7 (Independence). Keep in mind that we're not entirely free where we place region boundaries as one important factor is the internal FSX landscape grid system (QMID/LOD).

Cheers, Holger

Archived