What are these?

FLighT

Actually, they are salmon farms... The farmers build pens out in the sounds and lochs so the salmon are kept in place, but are in their natural salt water environment... I've been on tour boats around Oban and other North Western Scottish locales... 

Yes they be fish farms they have them all over the BC coast as well... For good or bad I don't know but personally I refuse to eat farmed Salmon so go from there. Sorry for the soap box but very touchy subject to me.  

Dreamer

Cool, I've seen them before in England and Wales (I think) and felt they weren't there by mistake, but I just could not fathom an explanation. Maybe we need a little Fish Flow there to go with.

I've got a 30 pound King on my living room wall I caught a few years back on Lake Michigan. I do like salmon, on the wall or on my plate. Thanks.

I've been a fly fisherman all my life. I've caught everything from salmon in Oregon and steelhead in California coastal rivers to golden trout in the high Sierras.

But nothing on my wall and I don't eat the fish I catch. If I want fish for dinner I'll eat farm fish purchased at the supermarket.

I'm a catch and release guy. Wild game fish, especially trout, are too valuable a resource to use only once.

I don't mean to be critical here, just my personal philosophy. I'm sure Isaac Walton kept the fish he caught.

Noel

No I haven't. I've never even caught one. My fishing has been restricted to the salmon and trout family.

I prefer to wade streams and rivers and fly cast. I lose interest very quickly sitting on the shore of a lake or in a boat unless that boat is floating down a river like the Madison or the Yellowstone or the San Juan. I like the constant change of scenery when wading or floating.

I especially like to read a river or stream and figure out where the trout might be lying or feeding. And after a fish is hooked figuring out how to make the current work to your advantage.

When fly fishing you're constantly in motion.

Noel

Inland fish farms raising stocks in man made fully contained pens are a necessary part of fish production and a viable means to put fresh fish on the shelves. BUT what my concerns are is how the industry is regulated.  I have lived on the BC coast since birth and witnessed first hand on how the industry has impacted the  coastal way of life. Inlets and bays closed off non geographical spices raised improper farm placement to ensure proper excrement evacuation. The government has allowed fish farms when and where ever they could set up. Now that Peru and Ecuador has set up Salmon fish farms but in a more uncontrolled fashion selling the same fish at lower cost  farms are shutting down and cases of opening pens to mix with wild stock and not to mention clean up. I personal enjoy fishing for salmon and only eat what I catch myself I fish the inside and the fish stocks that I utilize are hatchery raised and do not impact the wild stocks.

Again sorry for the soap box but like I said touchy subject 

Regards Dreamer

Inland fish farms raising stocks in man made fully contained pens are a necessary part of fish production and a viable means to put fresh fish on the shelves. BUT what my concerns are is how the industry is regulated.  I have lived on the BC coast since birth and witnessed first hand on how the industry has impacted the  coastal way of life. Inlets and bays closed off non geographical spices raised improper farm placement to ensure proper excrement evacuation. The government has allowed fish farms when and where ever they could set up. Now that Peru and Ecuador has set up Salmon fish farms but in a more uncontrolled fashion selling the same fish at lower cost  farms are shutting down and cases of opening pens to mix with wild stock and not to mention clean up. I personal enjoy fishing for salmon and only eat what I catch myself I fish the inside and the fish stocks that I utilize are hatchery raised and do not impact the wild stocks.

Again sorry for the soap box but like I said touchy subject 

Regards Dreamer

I try to buy wild caught whenever possible.  I prefer to support a real honest-to-God fisherman out there killing himself to earn a buck, and you get a better qualify hunk of fish -- largely for the reasons quoted here.  Not going to take a militant stance on the subject, just that is my preference. 

Yep, gave up fishing when I could no longer buy dynamite! >:D:wacko:::)>:D:lol:

They don't have that in the Bass Pro Shops in FL?

Going to do a bit of fishing off the dock in Galveston TX this weekend.  Damn sure no salmon down this way, but still a good way to spend a couple hours.

Love salmon and trout, farmed is about all we get in Australia, unless you go catch it your4self, which my arthritis will not allow

See there Cathy, I'm not the only one that needs dynamite!!! ???:-X>:D::)

Archived