An aeroplane with a history.

VH-KDK

CF-CPP is a Douglas DC-8-63/F delivered to CP Air in 1967. It was then leased to UTA as F-BOLJ in 1973 for 10 months returning to CP Air as C-FCPP until 1983. It then passed to Worldways AIrways in Canada until 1990. It was re registered N783AL and had several owners before acquiring reg N819AX in 1995. ABX operated it until 2009 when it went to Ghana as 9G-AXD with Meridian Airways whose 3 DC-8s have an average age of 44 years! Apparently it is still active today but for some reason the airline is on the EU blacklist.

1.Zx1ho.jpg

2.fpEH3.jpg

3.9OaQT.jpg

4.KMst.jpg

5.GvOix.jpg

6.ZLzTg.jpg

7.DNz8.jpg

8.E0tOe.jpg

Very nice shots with beautiful lighting. Thanks for posting those nice old colours of CP Air. Western Canada has had many different big airlines that had financial difficulties because at the time, the central government was protecting Air Canada at all costs. One of the nicest company ever, named Wardair, disappeared because Max Ward could not get the international routes needed for expansion, blocked by the central government. Today, you see Westjet doing very well as a western Canada company, because it does not have to fight constantly with the government anymore and is developing the routes needed for sound business.

Great pix of an historic jet airliner!!!

Its now nearly 36 years ago when my dad took me on a trip to Nassau/Bahamas. The airline was called Air Bahama and it was actually an DC8 like the one on the screenies. I saw a DC8 4 days ago departing Patricks AFB when we enjoyed Cocoa Beach/FL :) I didnt know that they still fly.. 

Great shots Martyn.It has definitely been a long time since I've seen the DC8

Very few flying today.

Very nice shots with beautiful lighting. Thanks for posting those nice old colours of CP Air. Western Canada has had many different big airlines that had financial difficulties because at the time, the central government was protecting Air Canada at all costs. One of the nicest company ever, named Wardair, disappeared because Max Ward could not get the international routes needed for expansion, blocked by the central government. Today, you see Westjet doing very well as a western Canada company, because it does not have to fight constantly with the government anymore and is developing the routes needed for sound business.

Good old government. I can remember seeing Wardair  727 CF-FUN, Cy Becker, at Gatwick some 40 years ago. I just don't know why that has stuck in my memory though.

Aaah. What a plane to fly in! You could stretch your legs even in the cattle class... Good old times, I guess! :)

Super shots these mate.

cheers

Iain

Great pix of an historic jet airliner!!!

Its now nearly 36 years ago when my dad took me on a trip to Nassau/Bahamas. The airline was called Air Bahama and it was actually an DC8 like the one on the screenies. I saw a DC8 4 days ago departing Patricks AFB when we enjoyed Cocoa Beach/FL :) I didnt know that they still fly.. 

Well I think there are less than 15 flying today so you were very lucky. I used to see one every other Saturday at Princess Park in Melbourne when watching the football. It was an Air New Zealand Freighter and that would be in the late 80s. Go Roys!!!

Beautiful shots of that great plane. Great lighting in these.

A bit noisy wasn't it ? ...long time no see Cheers

Eh? ....what? ....sorry?  Can't hear you because of the noise. Is that why the EU ban?

Thank you gents for the kind comments.

Archived