How to disable PAKT

Rob Abernathy

Hi all,

Sorry to say that the ORBX version of PAKT, while beautiful, kills my framerates.   I'm trying to disable it and not have terrain problems but without any success yet.   I do have UT Alaska installed and have tried a few options with no luck.  I've unticked PAKT in the scenery library.  I've searched in Scenery/World/Scenery for the pakt files and renamed them to .OFF.   I still get an elevation problem.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I really like the scenery but with so much RTMM in the area it is unflyable.   :-(

Thanks in advance, 

Kdt1I.jpg

Hi Rob,

if I remember correctly the PAKT add-on uses a different airport elevation adjustment file in \Scenery\World\scenery. Look for "ORBX_PAKT_APX_ALT.bgl" and rename it to "ORBX_PAKT_APX_ALT.OFF" and then make sure that the PFJ version, named "ADE_FTX_PFJ_PAKT_elevation_adjustment" file has a .bgl extension (there's a backup copy in "\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.na\OFF").

Once those files are sorted unchecking the FTX PAKT entry in the scenery library menu should do the trick.

In addition you may also need to deactivate (rename to .OFF) the files "ADE_FTX_PAKT_17AK_Ketchikan_TEMSCO_heli_1m_ALT.BGL" and "ADE_FTX_PAKT_AK1H_Ketchikan_N_Tongass_Hwy_heli_8m_ALT.BGL" in Scenery\World\scenery, since they rely on the custom terrain mesh files included with PAKT.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Rob,

if I remember correctly the PAKT add-on uses a different airport elevation adjustment file in \Scenery\World\scenery. Look for "ORBX_PAKT_APX_ALT.bgl" and rename it to "ORBX_PAKT_APX_ALT.OFF" and then make sure that the PFJ version, named "ADE_FTX_PFJ_PAKT_elevation_adjustment" file has a .bgl extension (there's a backup copy in "\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.na\OFF").

Once those files are sorted unchecking the FTX PAKT entry in the scenery library menu should do the trick.

In addition you may also need to deactivate (rename to .OFF) the files "ADE_FTX_PAKT_17AK_Ketchikan_TEMSCO_heli_1m_ALT.BGL" and "ADE_FTX_PAKT_AK1H_Ketchikan_N_Tongass_Hwy_heli_8m_ALT.BGL" in Scenery\World\scenery, since they rely on the custom terrain mesh files included with PAKT.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger.  I'm not finding the file ORBX_PAKT_APX_ALT.bgl at all in my World/Scenery folder.  All the others are there.  I did however disable an addon for the Ketchikan Harbor Detail and that helped the frames a bit.   I'm going to reinstall PAKT and see if the missing file is there and start over.   I really love the airport but not the chop/chop visuals because of my system.

Be wary of any 3rd party addon that places lots of animated birds or lots of default FSX ships (these come with birds), some of these (no fault of the placer) can really shred valuable frames

Thanks again Holger and Tim.  One of our guys at RTMM had an addon for extra detail on the town side that I deactivated and got so many frames back that I'm happy to say I'll keep FTX PAKT installed!  I was aware of the birds addon discussed here at the forums but didn't install it....phewww.

Funny thing is i searched my entire FSX for the file "ORBX_PAKT_APX_ALT.bgl" that Holger referred to and it is not there.  But, everything looks good now and I'm glad to be able to keep Russ's fine work on PAKT.

Thanks again guys

Hi Rob,

glad to hear you found a solution. As for the "ORBX_PAKT_APX_ALT.bgl" file it could be that it's from an earlier PAKT Beta build and that the final installer actually uses the correct name, that is "ADE_FTX_PFJ_PAKT_elevation_adjustment.bgl".

Cheers, Holger

Archived