FTX global

JohnB777

Will we be able to install all ORBX airports onto FTX global directly or would we still need the regions? And if so, is there still the factor of the FTX switch being set to each region while flying in that region, Or would there be the option that we never have to use the FTX switch again?

Hi John,

See the original FTXGlobal announcement for info on airport compatibility

What is it not compatible with?

GEX - it does the same thing (replaces FSX default textures) so you decide if you want GEX or FTX Global
FScene4X - as above
Orbx payware airports - those are designed and matched to our dedicated full FTX regions for AU/NA/NZ/EU because of mesh elevation and other landscape mods

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/52819-orbx-announces-ftx-global-to-be-released-in-2013/

And the more recent update answers your second question

8. Right now when FTX Global is installed, it replaces the FSX Default and you switch to it using FTX Central. This means that until we solve technical issues around lclookup.bgl and other files, FTX Global is not seamlessly compatible with our FTX Central regions of North America, Oceania and Europe - however that is how it works right now in the alpha build but we will work very hard to remove the need to switch regions before release. If we can't solve that problem at the release, it will be done shortly after. It is in our interest, our customers' interest and other developers' interest to remove all incompatibilities but it's not a trivial task.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/58801-ftx-global-update-may-2013/

We are modifying FTX Central to allow FTX Global, FTX regions and all our airports to co-exist so you can fly between them without needing to switch anything other than more accurate autogen textures. We feel that is the best compromise between having all regions active at one with FTX Global at the same time.

Please give us the next month so sort out this solution and I am sure you will be satisfied with the outcome :)

We are modifying FTX Central to allow FTX Global, FTX regions and all our airports to co-exist so you can fly between them without needing to switch anything other than more accurate autogen textures. We feel that is the best compromise between having all regions active at one with FTX Global at the same time.

Please give us the next month so sort out this solution and I am sure you will be satisfied with the outcome :)

I see, Excellent, I'll get FTX global, then the regions and never have to mess with the FTX central switch again. Thank you!

(the main reason I didn't want the regions is because of that annoying FTX switch thing, but if I never have to use it you will have a VERY frequent customer once global comes out and the is no more switching :))

You will still need to use the switch to enable more accurate autogen for a region, but the issue of not being to fly between regions, global and default FSX will be solved.

Can this be done while flying or do we have to exit FSX and then do the switch? Isn't it possible to merge the autogen files like with the ES sceneries and EU England so we can get rid of the switcher once and for all?

Can this be done while flying or do we have to exit FSX and then do the switch? Isn't it possible to merge the autogen files like with the ES sceneries and EU England so we can get rid of the switcher once and for all?

I agree, I we get rid of the switcher, then it would be MUCH more convenient.

Sorry to burst your bubbles but we can't get rid of the switcher completely. You will be able to fly between FTX regions without any issues but we cannot provide a single set of autogen building and tree textures for the whole world without a major re-engineering of all our autogen for all regions. So initially we will use FTX Central to let you choose which autogen set you want to see when you land.

This does not impact trans-ocean or trans-region flights, they will work fine without needing to exit the sim, but you may see some slight autogen texture oddities.

Holger and I have discussed a potential future project to re-do all our autogen from AU onwards but that is a massive undertaking. We learnt a lot about making custom autogen about 3-4 years after we made FTX AU and you see a lot of this in NZ and EU, but to go back to retrospectively change it for NA and AU is a huge project, something we just don't have budget for given our current revenues.

I like the odds, 

I'm ready to see what you come up with even if there's a few blips. You and the team have proven yourselves and I'm pre-sold. 

good flights, Cal

Guesst I can live with the autogen switch ::) as long as there are no more ghost textures when I fly from a FTX region over to FTX Global.

At first when I heard about Global I wasn't too exited, but when the pieces has started to come together I'm actually really exited(I realised how much you can do with it, enhancing it with other landclass/mesh Products+I get to use alot of nice scenery I have bought before I became an Orbx customer that didnt get installed because there was only ugly default textures surrounding them )

I don't think I have anticipated anything more than FTX Global and I started back in the FS3 days . Browsing around the screenshot threads I saw Thailand and it certainly fulfilled my wishes for years now that someone , Please , improve the desert looking terrain and autogen in Southeast Asia . I have been in Thailand , RVN and briefly in Cambodia ,(USMC 67). I have always been very disappointed in the way the various flightsim versions of FS over the years have depicted this area . If Vietnam is anywhere close to what Thailand is , I will be one happy camper .

Thanks ORBX for continuing to put out one excellent product after another .

(I am getting in line with what I anticipate is going to be very long)

Rich

Archived