KMZ and Google Earth

Hi All

I have this year become a convert to Orbx scenery and the Orbx way of life and have so far purchased Australia, England, Wales and now America and Canada via PNW and NRM. What I have so far until now not appreciated is how near to reality Orbx scenery is.

This discovery came about by using the KMZ files contained in the main Orbx folder and using the Google Earth program as my viewer.

I now look up an airport in Google Earth, get its code and then go to it in Orbx Scenery.

There is so much more to Orbx than I first thought and I can now say that I am living the Orbx life and finding out about other countries many things that I never knew before.

What a wonderful world the Orbx world is.

Kind regards

JFS

I had a guy in my business the other week from Portland. He was amazed at my knowledge of his part of the world. It's difficult trying to tell a mere mortal of the knowledge gained through Orbx, it's only a computer game isn't it? WASH OUT YOUR MOUTH YOUNG MAN!

I too use the KMZ files and GoogleEarth to plan flights, look up sight seeing points of interest, etc.

If you have a Google account (gmail or G+ will work) you can upload the files in "My Maps" which means you can bring them up on any computer with an internet browser--basically every computer now-- even if it doesn't have GoogleEarth installed . . . like the one at work . . . which is how I spend my lunch hour :)  

Additionally, if you have an iPad with GoogleEarth installed, once you add these files to My Maps in Google Maps, you can link your iPad GoogleEarth to your Google account and they are available on your iPad's GoogleEarth too.  (Probably the same on Android pads.)  Allows me to fly and follow along on my iPad.

All great but they never seem to have made KMZ files for Australia.  At least I couldn't find any.   ???   Any ideas?

R/ Hangar 200

I too use the KMZ files and GoogleEarth to plan flights, look up sight seeing points of interest, etc.

If you have a Google account (gmail or G+ will work) you can upload the files in "My Maps" which means you can bring them up on any computer with an internet browser--basically every computer now-- even if it doesn't have GoogleEarth installed . . . like the one at work . . . which is how I spend my lunch hour :)

Additionally, if you have an iPad with GoogleEarth installed, once you add these files to My Maps in Google Maps, you can link your iPad GoogleEarth to your Google account and they are available on your iPad's GoogleEarth too.  (Probably the same on Android pads.)  Allows me to fly and follow along on my iPad.

All great but they never seem to have made KMZ files for Australia.  At least I couldn't find any.   ???   Any ideas?

R/ Hangar 200

Wow, this is really interesting, thanks. I'll try it as soon as possible.

Hi all

Dragnhorn, boetie, Hangar200, Cesco

Thanks for your posts. Some interesting ideas here.

Hangar200, sorry but I have not found KMZ files for Australia either.

Perhaps someone out there knows different

Kind regards

JFS

R/ Hangar 200

If you download the OZx version 3.3 for Australia, you'll find a KMZ file for ORBX, OZx and Ants Airports is included with it - in the FSX\OZx\User_Docs folder. 

Cheers

Jack

• 3 weeks later...

Archived