NZTG (Tauranga) to NZGB (Great Barrier)

jpreou

I've been on a 'road trip' in the Alpha (sorry complete lack of pics so far; just been enjoying the trip and not worrying about photos!).

So far I've flown completely VFR from Milford to where I am today (Great Barrier). Waikato Aero Club, whose Alpha it is, have a lodge available to members on GB so it makes a

useful stop as I trek around NZ.

So far I've been NZMF (Milford Sound) - NZHT (Haast) - NZFH (Fox Glacier) - NZHK (Hokitika) - T003 (Cronadun) - NZKM (Karamea) - NZS2 (Port Hardy, overfly after I didn't pre-

flight and discovered it was a water aerodrome!) - NZPP (Paraparaumu) - NZPM (Palmerston North) - (Napier) - NZGS (Gisborn) - NZWK (Whakatane) - NZTG (Tauranga) - NZGB (Great

Barrier) via the Cuuvier (CV) NDB.

Its been a long trip over almost as many days as you see destinations. Over the last few legs, since my Saitek Radio Panel arrived, I have been supplementing my VFR flying with

VOR, DME and NDB navaids which has added another level to the sim experience. Its been a lot of fun. I'm planning to continue 'oop norf' and then back to Hamilton to complete

my NZ tour (even though I didn't cover a lot of the South Island). After that, I'm taking an RV from NZ to Aus VFR with Navaids; going to try and avoid using GPS; should be

challenging.

Anyway, some pics from this last leg...

Dawn at Tauranga.

001hgo.jpg

AirNZ flight gets out before me...

002qmc.jpg

Looking back as I make my turn off the departure.

003yzp.jpg

Tracking past Waihi Beach.

004rnf.jpg

... and past Pauanui (I think I spelled that right!)

005cy.jpg

Hmm, slight bridging issue! Actually I found one or two anomalies like this. Back near Waihi Beach there is a building embedded in a bank / cliff!

006mpf.jpg

Overflying the Cuvier Island (CV) NDB. I'm a long way out in a single!

007yta.jpg

Approaching Great Barrier.

008zyl.jpg

On finals.

009yan.jpg

...and parked for the night. Quite a long flight and a lot of over water. Good to be back on land and looking forward to sightseeing the island and checking out the WAC lodge.

010unx.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Archived