C182RGII - HD REPAINT AND VC - Now available!

John Venema

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anxyous, these are VERY high resolution texture tiles, WAY higher than any commercial texture product for an aircraft, so to tame the texture lines you need to set your AA to "supersample" which will include the texture in it's algorithms, not just the model. You can do this from your NVIDIA or ATI control panel. It will cost you some FPS but that's the price you pay for super high detail.

Russ.

Russ, i run 8x Quality AA with transparency Supersampling and with Gamma correction. I sent Butch some comparison pics already and i am sure now this paint is the only one in my (huge) hangar which don't get AA. It's very obvious in the 'select aircraft'  preview window as well. Something makes it different, but i don't have the smallest idea what... It's only the blue stripes, the blue top of the cowling and the blue wing tips, nothing else.

Good evening ladies (sue) and gents,

I'd like to make this clear... 

The difference is this paint has challenges that are outside those of any other paints prior... the scheme does not run horizontal or vertical to the template. I'd prefer not to talk shop but in this case there is no other way to explain this.

The scheme (paint lines) run at an angle to horizontal and vertical and because pixels (and I do mean pixels) are square and are best represented in a straight line. If you try and run them at an angle, unless you have the HP to run sufficient AA to kill the jaggies, they will bless you with their presence.  :'(

Here is a sample of a screen shot with 'combined' AA setting.

http://www.aussiex.org/ozxrepaints/butch/2008-11-15_23-51-48-109.BMP

Here is a sample of a screen shot with 'multisample' AA setting.

http://www.aussiex.org/ozxrepaints/butch/2008-11-16_12-50-59-312.BMP

These are unedited screen shots directly from FSX 'V' key and demonstrate that unless you are prepared to 'take the hit' by running a substantial amount of AA you will have to be satisfied with some jaggies. 

This production, interior and exterior will push the hardware envelope substantially and I have to advise everyone that this is will tax existing gear to an extent not done before.

That unfortunately is simply the way this works...

Chalk and cheese really.

Butch

I can only echo everyone's sentiments on a fantastic job well done guys.  One complaint though, I think you left a tube of super glue lying on the pilots seat, because I can't seem to get out of the dam cockpit!!!

Cheers

Robert

One complaint though, I think you left a tube of super glue lying on the pilots seat, because I can't seem to get out of the dam cockpit!!!

:D rotflmao :D

here one from this end to add to the collection :D

click on screenie for larger image

Posted Image

again kudos to Russ and Butch for their excellent work

Okay, this is strange.  I have an 4 year old system, and with this new HD work, I actually get better FPS than the default textures.  I loaded all of the interior textures on several other paints that I have, and see that same thing.  Not sure how this is possible, but again, amazing work. 

Thanks again.  :o

PERFECT ! I can run 8xSQ combined without any FPS loss at 1920x1200 - this 280 GTX just rocks... The latest nHancer seams to work very well, i stand (sit) corrected  ;D

Even at this distance the lines are smooth. Perfect, really...  Gosh, now i can enjoy this fantastic paint, now i am happy  ;D

Thanks again for your great comments guys, I am just glad you are enjoying it. 

I could have sworn I responded to this earlier... must have hit preview

Man, those shots look just awesome... hey Heiko, eh, did you need me to beta test your 280? I am volunteering  ;D

My thanks to Russ and Butch as well.

Russ you did tell me it would be better than your previous.

You are correct, love it.

Butch, great paint job. I know my engine has already 26 hours on the clock.

As proof look at the oil stains coming out of the engine panels :D

Thanks again guys.........

Trevor

Hi guys,

I am envious of the results you folks are getting with nVidia cards. I have tried everything but there seems no way to enable supersampling with (the latest) Catalyst 8.11 drivers for my ATI card. Is there an equivalent of nHancer for ATI?

Cheers,

Noel.

VW get rid of the Catalyst Control Centre and Drivers entirely and then install just the ATI driver by itself and then use Ray Adams Tray Tools.

They are all you need.

I had a Readeon X1600 before buying a nVidia with the new build hardware and it worked for.

Great to hear everyone having success with this upgrade! I started the cockpit about 4 months ago, so it really is a mass of work to get to this standard. For that reason there probably wont be many (if any) more in the pipeline. Thanks for all your comments.

Russ.

Hmm, RATT did not help, as it has the same options as the ATI driver. RATT was also unstable and gave me the dreaded BSOD in short order.

According to some websites, the ATI driver settings are supposed to give pretty much the same effect as supersampling AA. But not in this case apparently. Those jaggies just won't go away...

Cheers,

Noel.

The Carenado 182RGII appears to have the texture files in bitmap format (DXT5).

The HD files are also in bitmap format (DXT1).

All my other FSX aircraft have texture files in dds format.

The HDVC works fine, with no sign of jaggies in the VC view.

However, I get jaggies in spot view with the Carenado 182RGII, whether I use the default paints or the HD repaint.

I DO NOT get jaggies with other FSX aircraft that have textures in dds format

This suggests that my ATI graphics card does not properly display textures in bitmap format (I've tried all possible settings).

Is it feasible to change bitmap texture files to dds format? Or would that degrade the quality?

Cheers,

Noel.

Just wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I am having with th 182 hd textures.  Everything seems fine with the exception of the vc tectures.  The exterior is incredible, the guages look fine but the panel and cabin textures are blotchy.  I have enabled hi res 3d cockpit, global texture is at max, highest aa and anti alliasing but still no joy.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have never adjusted the max texture load in my cfg! i am sure that is a restriction placed on environmental and terrain textures, the high resolution cockpit textures have allways shown up as HD. I would be interested to see a screen shot of this problem, it sounds like really low mips are being forced, but i specifically created all the interior textures with NO embedded mips, so possibly it's a GPU hardware mip due to low system resources. Nothing like this was reported during the beta phase so i would be interested to see screen shot neckbone.

Cheers,

Russ.

WOW....thats really bad!

Thanks for the shot neckbone, looks like either a hardware enforced mip, or a filtering issue. I do not have my FSX drive in at the moment so cant replicate the problem this end. Can you list the specs of your computer including graphics card and system memory please. Also could you include a similar screen shot but from inside a standard 182 livery (carenado standard cockpit)

Cheers,

Russ.

Archived