Suggestion/request for future Alaskan regions

Just Fly

Hi there!

While saving a few bucks to get the wonderful SAK, a question came to my mind: do you think it would be possible to model the Bus 142 near the Stampede Trail? I discovered its story from Sean Penn's magnificent movie Into the Wild and I thought it would be a nice feature to add to a future Central/West Alaska region. What do you think?

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stampede_Trail

At least, I know what I'll be watching tonight...

Just Fly

Hi there,

interesting information, thanks.

Well, for SAK Jon Patch modeled the iconic red caboose on the White Pass & Yukon Route east of Skagway - http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rspicture.aspx?id=145692 - so perhaps we could include an old bus should we get around to a Central Alaska region...

Cheers, Holger

First, kudos to Holger and his gang for another piece of art. As a former long-time Alaskan pilot, it's fascinating to find so much accuracy - one small nitpick. As yet, no scenery developer has come up with a way to clear trees from approach and departure ends of airports, big and small. Microsoft default shows that, if there are any trees around an airport, they'll be clustered at the approach and departure ends. Checking out some of SAK's smaller strips, this artificially steep approach angle makes a successful landing much more difficult - not to mention getting up and over on departure.

Hi olderndirt!!

I second that request to get the ICAO's of airports that have trees on approaches/departures, they're very easy to fix. When enhancing airports I will remove trees near the airport ends when I spot the issue however one of the last additions is final land class (LC) which sometimes add trees after the major airport/airfield work has been finished. Your help spotting those airport with issues would be appreciated.

By the way, how old is "olderndirt"?

Cheers, Neil

Could I request that the Mount Roberts Tramway (cable car) be inserted in a patch for the Juneau township

in the new SAK region? I worked on Princess Cruises during 1999 and 2000, and enjoyed many trips to the summit.

I thought that a mistake was made at Skagway... back in 1999 , the airport was in a different location ( I think)

but on checking Google Earth, it is now right next to the township, and your developers have come up trumps

again. What a fantastic add on. Just love Alaska.

Cheers

Hank

Hi olderndirt!!

I second that request to get the ICAO's of airports that have trees on approaches/departures, they're very easy to fix. When enhancing airports I will remove trees near the airport ends when I spot the issue however one of the last additions is final land class (LC) which sometimes add trees after the major airport/airfield work has been finished. Your help spotting those airport with issues would be appreciated.

By the way, how old is "olderndirt"?

Cheers, Neil

Olderndirt is three score and fifteen. The first airport to catch my eye - treewise was Willow (PAUO). If that survives your scrutiny, perhaps I'm being too fussy.

Hi again,

Weeeell, it wasn't too bad but I did cut the trees on the south end so you don't have to make such a steep approach!! Next door to it however I found a floating (in the air) dock at 2X2, which I also fixed.

I'll be Olderndirt this August....

Cheers, Neil

Archived