PC-PILOT reviews FTX England and gives it a Classic Award

John Venema

I feel PC Pilot is a tad too transparent for me; I have never seen anything other than a good review from PC Pilot - I wonder how many advertisers they would be left with if us End Users wrote non biased reviews?

Well done though

Why Classic! It's a Platinum :D:lol: can't be otherwise.

A great example of non biased opinion - my opinion is in stark contrast

Anyway everyone to their own!

Happy Christmas all

I feel PC Pilot is a tad too transparent for me; I have never seen anything other than a good review from PC Pilot

I'm inclined to agree with you there, Andrew. Not too long ago, an aircraft was released that was described by a very well known freeware developer as ' the worst piece of payware I've ever seen'. And yet in reviewing it, PC Pilot tip-toed round its obvious faults and still managed to recommend it. Its a great magazine for tutorials - its extensive guide to the PMDG MD-11 was invaluable - but you are right, and seeking a second opinion is never a bad idea.

That said, FTX England does deserve it accolades, from whatever quarter. To replicate a small densely urbanized country such as England was an ambitious goal, and I think its been executed very well. Better than I thought possible actually, given the complexity of the scenery.

Well done Orbx - keep it going !

Actually we pulled our advertising from PC-PILOT from mid-2011 to October 2012 and during that period got some of the best accolades and awards from the magazine editors, so to accuse them of being biased to towards advertisers does not cut it with me sorry.

We are also acutely aware that a few customers who live in England aren't at all pleased with the product, and we expected that because of the lofty expectations set for a landclass based product. However the negative comments and feedback posted on our and various forums measures about a dozen people which is not even a fraction of 1% of copies sold. The continued robust sales of FTX England are all the encouragement we need. We will also be releasing SP1 before the end of the year.

I use FXS and Orbx to practice my real flying trips befroe L do the real flight. it is great to run through a flight in practice on FSX using Orbx to eance the grphics, and then do the actual flight so there are no real surpises. I have spent $1000s building a flight sim to ensure as best possible a safe real flight on the weekend, and to practice emergency procedures,

I am just wondering, did England meet the stankard of the Australian and American packages. The one thing that really concerned me in the PC Pilot review was that for VFR flying, it was in my interpretation that the review gave Orbx a fail in this area recommending another product instead. In regards to looking good, Orbx got a great review. I fly VFR and need the visual indicators. Is PC Pilot correct in Orbox failing to meet this standard, or for those using it, is PC Pilot wrong. It's great to have better visual effects, but at the cost of practising real VFR flying before a real flight, mmmm, that would be a very sad loss in quality, I hope this is not the case.

I am just wondering, did England meet the stankard of the Australian and American packages...but at the cost of practising real VFR flying before a real flight, mmmm, that would be a very sad loss in quality

As has been repeatedly pointed out, the ability to navigate VFR with Orbx products needs to be qualified. I discovered this years ago when trying to find the OZx strips in Queensland by following Google Earth - it just doesn't work that way because everything looks different. VFR navigation in FTX is possible if you confine yourself to following accurately-placed features such as the road network, terrain and towns, while not looking too closely at the details. I don't have FTX England yet but I expect this is what I will find.

As for PC Pilot, in my experience the information content of its 'reviews' is roughly zero, so I wouldn't worry.

Actually we pulled our advertising from PC-PILOT from mid-2011 to October 2012 and during that period got some of the best accolades and awards from the magazine editors, so to accuse them of being biased to towards advertisers does not cut it with me sorry.

Hi JV

But they have got some of your advertising budget back now haven't they? :-))) (Clever little souls!!)

Those that do not like UK scenery can go back to Microsoft Flight Simulator basic and they will soon come back to Orbx scenery.

Why anyone would use FSX stock scenery is beyond me. I'm not being funny (sincerely I'm not) but there are other options for VFR flight if all you want to do is a practice Nav.

Guys I haven't completely given up with England yet, indeed I spent a whole day with it on my 'Testing' rig, that has recently had a fresh install - I am very happy to report I got rid of the popping that was inside my LOD radius (by this I mean things were popping up in front of me but now they are popping in the distance as expected). I now have to find what is causing the problems on my main rig which of course I will report in the relevant place when I resolve it.

I am quite excited that I can now really start to enjoy Enjoy England when flying tube-liners in Europe - ok so it's not VFR but I have managed to make it look really nice which is great. So if I want to practice a nav I use photo and if I fly jets I can enjoy England.

Looking forward to the patch.

Archived