EU England...wish list...ongoing

Capt Pugwash

My wish list is as follows:

Accurate beaches and cliffs (all cliffs I have seen are draped in the texture from the adjacent land rather than a specific cliff texture).

Correct tree types for large forested/wooded areas (not nearly enough pine trees).

Narrower roads.

Accurate rivers (many are a series of ponds/small lakes rather than a continuous river).

More accurate placement of towns and villages.

More villages (many are missing or merely hamlets).

More bespoke objects such as large power stations or dominant buildings (some large power stations missing entirely).

As Shaun intimated it would be useful for someone to collate all observations/wishes to date so we don't repeat ourselves (or others) and the devs have something a bit more cohesive to work on.

Regards,

Chris

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about all those north sea oil rigs.

The north sea, all the way up from Yarmouth, Cromer and further up is peppered with these oil rigs. Would be fun to make a few missions to these with a heli.

And dusk, dawn and night will look awesome with those burners lighting up the sky

I am really looking forwards to purchasing their first EU Eng airfield

By the way...can you get a decent Cornish Pasty in L.A. ??? or do you have them flown in???

Ref the Airfields, without a doubt, I really look forward to that also.

A decent Pasty in LALALand? Hmm I did think of starting a franchise but people around here a little too vain and worry what they look like too much to munch on a meat and potato pie frequently! But damn I miss them!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Holy Cheese, I noticed the lack of churches in EU England, apart from really big things like cathedrals. At first I was relieved. Default FS always managed to plonk churches, synogogues and mosques in very farmable fields. However, it's not really England without a village church, and the names of some villages underline this, "Steeple Barton" or "St. Somebody-in-the-Swuff".

Yes, accurate models of every quaint church would be nice, but I found also that if, against advice in the manual, I cranked the autogen to max, smaller churches appeared. I guess the thing is to make a call on heavy agn vs. churches, unless of course some patch makes the churches pop in at lower settings.

Also there's a few nice church models available if you want to do your own, for instance in the UKVFR libraries which will also give you shops with red phone booths and pillar-boxes.

Stately homes - I am making do with a mix of stuff from FS9 and FSX third party designers. Search the usual suspects (AVSIM/Flightsim.com) for -

- Andrew (or Andy) Ford's Horton Tower & Hardy Monument for FSX

- Chris Brown's various halls and buildings, all I think for FSX. Some have photo tiles which don't exactly colour-match FTX terrain but that couldn't be helped, FTX EU wasn't around! Also a couple might overlap a road - if they are in a built-up area - but I've found nothing to make me discard them.

- Justin Wilmott's Stanton Drew Stone Circles and church and Pensfield Viaduct, close to each other. Apart from the small toll house on a nearby road, they sit very nicely in FTX England scenery.

- Paul Smith's Broadway Tower - no problems at all!

- Simon Swallow's Titchfield Abbey & Hospital of St Cross

There are surely more, but these are ones I am satisfied enough with to keep in FTX England (until of course something better appears!)

I find that Stonehenge, Glastonbury Tor tower, and Ribblehead Viaduct, all available around the place, are not needed as they are in either FSX or FTX. I'm also wary of the ANO and Satanic Mills (chimneys) sceneries I once favoured, as they often double up.

As for North Sea oil platforms, I was very happy with the ODG group's sceneries in FS9 [ http://www.fs-odg.com/ ]. Has anyone tested them in FSX? They should be far enough out to not have issues with FTX England.

Also there's a few nice church models available if you want to do your own, for instance in the UKVFR libraries which will also give you shops with red phone booths and pillar-boxes.

Stately homes - I am making do with a mix of stuff from FS9 and FSX third party designers. Search the usual suspects (AVSIM/Flightsim.com)

As for North Sea oil platforms, I was very happy with the ODG group's sceneries in FS9 [ http://www.fs-odg.com/ ]. Has anyone tested them in FSX? They should be far enough out to not have issues with FTX England.

Somebody on another thread had a great idea, us Brits should collectively start something like OZx for the EU England scenery...UKx...???

There are so many 3D objects already made for the UK by a host of different guys, that it really needs "pulling together" into one site (UKx) and then I am sure other talented beings would add to it with requests from us EU England users for specific items like Bridges and famous landmarks.

This would then allow us all to "populate" our EU England sceneries with what each individual desires rather than attempt to add a huge amount to the whole of the package and drag the FPS to it's knees...

Just need somebody to collate all the hundreds of objects previously made and make a website like OZx.....simples :-) or is it???

Somebody on another thread had a great idea, us Brits should collectively start something like OZx for the EU England scenery...UKx... ???

There are so many 3D objects already made for the UK by a host of different guys, that it really needs "pulling together" into one site (UKx) and then I am sure other talented beings would add to it with requests from us EU England users for specific items like Bridges and famous landmarks.

This would then allow us all to "populate" our EU England sceneries with what each individual desires rather than attempt to add a huge amount to the whole of the package and drag the FPS to it's knees...

Just need somebody to collate all the hundreds of objects previously made and make a website like OZx.....simples :-) or is it???

As i am not living in England i have just been reading through this interesting thread so far - because as a "non-local" i could not really add anything "very constructive" here yet so to speak.

But i really like the idea of an "EU-ENG 3D-Object-Lbrary" - also if it were payware! - provided by ORBX itself.

Simply because - only in my opinion though:

If ORBX heads further into Europe (which i really hope will be the case as soon as possible), adding more and more adequate and proper "local 3D-objects" rather than "autogen-objects" may become inevitable somehow, due tho the fact that there are just so many castles, churches and other uinque landmarks to be found literally everywhere in Europe. And as many of them are also quite often used as "navigation-aids" while flying under VFR conditions it would be just to great to have as many of them available within the flightsim too.

For EU-England now - ... and for all the other ORBX EU-sceneries yet to come later! :)

But:

Back to topic though now:

England!

Hi,

Can anyone please explain where we can find these objects. Also, can we edit them and how do we place them?

Is there any sort of editor to alter the ORBX land class to make it more suitable to our own locality? For instance, and I want to remove several corn fields villages that in reality don't exist and I'd like to add a few roads, can this be done?

Thanks very much for any light you can shed in this area.

Phil

I like where this conversation is heading.

Years ago there was a site of freeware sceneries which were compiled on a site called UK VFR Addons. All the scenery was sorted by county or something. Most was for FS9. That site is down now but some or a bunch of the original sceneries are likely still available somewhere. I downloaded a lot of it for my FS9.

Most if not all of the imbedded objects are usable or convertible to FSX. The issues would be to coordinate compiling these objects in a manner that duplication is avoided. That placement is done to be compatible with FTX not other scenery addons. That permissions to use the objects is obtained.

Here is one such site where you can pull down stuff to use to enhance your FTX base.

http://www.shepsshed...utogentrees.htm

Before you guys plough too far down the road ..

I'll have a think about how we can create some infrastructure to allow FTX EU customers to publish free "plugins" for FTX EU through an Orbx controlled site. In that way we'll have a coordinated system of plugins which have been vetted and approved and which don't cause our staff a lot of technical support.

I may also then need some volunteers to act as 'gatekeepers' and library managers. We may even make this a turn-key installer scenario where we have regular releases of groups of plugins in a volume installer.

To that end, we might look at releasing some sort of freeware library of objects which can be placed using tools like Instant Scenery 2

This won't happen overnight, it will take some management discussion and also logistic planning, but I think it's been long overdue.

I'll have a think about how we can create some infrastructure to allow FTX EU customers to publish free "plugins" for FTX EU through an Orbx controlled site. In that way we'll have a coordinated system of plugins which have been vetted and approved and which don't cause our staff a lot of technical support.

I may also then need some volunteers to act as 'gatekeepers' and library managers. We may even make this a turn-key installer scenario where we have regular releases of groups of plugins in a volume installer.

To that end, we might look at releasing some sort of freeware library of objects which can be placed using tools like Instant Scenery 2

This won't happen overnight, it will take some management discussion and also logistic planning, but I think it's been long overdue.

Sounds perfect JV, thanks for understanding our needs...and seeing the "bigger picture"

I feel like being a member of "Club Orbx" will pay dividends long term...Just like your freeware releases, you make gestures that build customer confidence and respect...Well done and keep up the momentum

Anything from Orbx is the perfect answer! ^-^

Meanwhile, if I do any fiddling with available libraries, I know where it all is, ready to dump when the good stuff appears. To that end I'll just point to the file "ukvfr.zip" at Flightsim.com. It's by Neil Birch, and he says that not all objects work in FSX - but enough, from my small experience, will. I think this is what other posts have mentioned. The objects are quite nice.

Did I mention there are some nice chateaux and historic structures available for France in FSX? ::)

To be fair, I did finally spot a village church, which for me appears at autogen settings of dense or over, but not normal. It's a beautiful little model. Found it flying west from Gatwick, approaching Dunsfold (the 'Top Gear' field ^-^ which has the parked 747s! ) at about N51º 7.73', W 0º27.76' near the end of a narrow lake.

Having found that, I've now spotted a couple more, but so far no red phone or post boxes. I do think characteristic spires are valid as they make decent reference points. I suppose sports stadia do to.

What about chalk figures like Uffington White Horse or Cerne Abbas Giant or the Long Man? Well, maybe not him in a family sim.

But, although I am not too concerned about details, I would like to see Brunel's Suspension Bridge rather than a default across the Avon in Bristol.

And is Conway Castle there: if it is I missed it or does it require scenery to be max-ed on both sliders?

JV's idea is good, because the POMs have got lots of distinctive buildings in their towns and villages, and also outside of course, like castles and bridges.

For instance many railway stations are as distinctive from the air as from the ground. And don't we tourists love em ... along with the Parish churches the English don't attend, but are scattered throughout the kingdom.

As everyone else is saying - beautiful scenery.

I don't see the Thames Barrage on mine, I have Aerosoft EGLC.

Along the south coast (and maybe elsewhere), the land comes up to a drop-off to the sea, but the hedges and fields just rollover the drop-off and finish at the sea. Looks strange, looks like it needs a linear texture denoting the vertical slope?

Nigel

Vancouver

ps being an ex-patriate Scot I hope you willl be producing Scotland, some great flying in the Highlands and over the islands

My only wish is that this shite gets fixed, so that it doesn't brake anything, that already works for years in FSX.

You need to "wind it in son" this thread is about giving feedback to aid the developers in giving positive customer feedback...

Not "shite" like you have just made!!!!

Merry Christmas Sir...!

You need to "wind it in son" this thread is about giving feedback to aid the developers in giving positive customer feedback...

Not "shite" like you have just made!!!!

Merry Christmas Sir...!

If I only got useful/any reply to my support question which I asked 2 weeks ago... For me this product was nothing but a collection of issues. Support not very helpful or ignoring. This is not a freeware ffs, so I treat it like a product off the shelf.

You have 2 topics one was a key problem, all sorted out, the other gatwick making your aircraft crash.

As was said turn of crash detection as its bad in fsx anyway. The only other problem I see was tagged onto the same topic about aerosoft ships, it might be a idea to make a post in the compatibility forum, then after that

Grow up

----------------------

Love the possibility of a user interface/OZx UK, working with help from Orbx sounds fantastic.

I can safely guarantee that anyone calling our products "shite" and using the term "ffs" will be ignored, if not reprimanded. Read our forums terms of use please.

This topic will be locked if people cannot ask for enhancement requests in a civil and polite manner. If you have specific bugs which are causing FTX England to not work for you then please log a separate support call.

Don't let your rudeness ruin it for others.

The idea of a UKx mirroring OZx & "linked" in with Orbx as JV has suggested is the way ahead, will take time, but will be great at the end of the day. I think what is important is that output is "approved" & coordinated in the same manner that OZx scenery is

Grow up

----------------------

Love the possibility of a user interface/OZx UK, working with help from Orbx sounds fantastic.

Why the insult? This is no Freeware here, I paid hard earned money for it, so I have all the rights to request support. I didn't get answer for a long time, so don't give me that.

Can I ask for refund? I'll be glad not to be bothered with FTX products again.

EDIT: There's no compatibility issues topic in the payware support section.

If I am not mistaken it is you who is insulting Orbx staff by calling our product shite and using demanding language like 'ffs' (yes we do know the inference).

If you have a support issue that is unanswered for a lengthy period, then bump the topic up and ask why there is no resolution yet. Please don't hijack this topic which exists to table proposed "wish-list" enhancements to FTX England.

Obviously products that you purchase from us are not freeware, and we provide support for them. If your support issue is to do with a perceived missing feature then create a support post or feature request for it. We do not provide refunds for our products since we have ample demos of large FTX region areas to try before you buy, and we also provide many freeware airports to try as well. We also provide screenshots, videos, customer screenshots, videos and press reviews for all our products. Finally you have YouTube (search for "Orbx", there are 4,500+ videos). I think there is more than enough information our there for you to make a judgement call on your purchase.

One more outburst and you'll receive a posting ban. You have been warned twice now.

Reluctant as I am to get off the thread's topic, I would just add two comments;

Fist, I am an FSX novice, having tried it, not liked it, and uninstalled. I reinstalled to try FTX EU England. Now I run and enjoy both for different reasons, but despite my inexperience with FSX or Orbx, I simply install their packages per the book, and have had no problems I couldn't solve by the RTFM method.

Secondly, having had no problems, I can only refer to friends who have commented on the amazing after-sales service they get - down to fixing roads that intrude into an airfield. I have not heard of such service from any other developer and seller of FS software.

Just one for the wish list.

In the UK many of the roads have hedges. The EU England roads have grass verges but not hedges (except the ones on the landclass tiles).

Not sure if it's feasible or would have FPS impacts but some more hedges would be nice.

Thanks

D34xxx. You're getting close to being a Troll with your grinchy commentary.

First and foremost every computer programme has to be a compromise, especially scenery and autogen which is the great resource consumer and the cause of low GPS, juddered and the rest.

Second, the other problem is expectation "creep" that puts more and more pressure on devs to include ever more sophisticated components. Two versions of FS before this one are primitive in comparison.

There has been photoreal scenery for the UK for years. It will give the accuracy you want, but at other costs. It's always a trade- off.

Ps, sorry the auto-complete got me.

FPS and juddering or judders I meant.

Ken, back in FS02 Lands End St Just was a favourite of mine, and I ported it to FS04. Sadly it just doesn't cut it in FSX, but the FTX "fefault" has a comparable look to it. Yes, one of many I'd like to see. If Orbx already have plenty to do, our next hope is that someone will come up with something compatible and of respectable standard.

Is it just me, or have others noticed a serious lack of independent third-party development, both aircraft and scenery, for FSX?

I would like to see some of the ADVERTISED GOLF COURSES!

After many hours flying over areas I know to be rich in golf courses, I have yet to see even one??

These are a significant VFR feature, and since advertised as such I would appreciate that if anyone has actually seen one they can point me to it.

Much as I appreciate the concept of Where's Walley flight sim scenery - Its not the main reason I bought EUUK.

Thanks in anticipation :)

Churches - I have had no Churches appear in EU - England, so I thought I would spend a couple of hours last night searching them out!

I started the proceedings by buying the low & slow "Bird Dog" from Sibwings

Then I went to Derby airfield "grass strip" EGBD and sat looking around prior to take off, I then decided that before takeoff I would move my autogen slider from Normal to Extremely Dense which immediately resulted in a village church appearing along side the airfield.

I then backed off the autogen by one notch and the church disappeared!

I then went to Goodwood/Chichester and turned my autogen back to full and immediately upon takeoff found two different types of church, then I backed off by one notch on autogen and yet again they disappeared, also tried this at Leicester with similar results

I am most pleased they exist within the scenery, but a little concerned that they only appear on full autogen settings.

Could it be that a lot of people are not seeing the true potential of EU-Eng because of not being maxed out on autogen?

I wonder what else "disappears" if you are not maxed out with autogen?

Is there a possible way of bringing some of the objects like the churches out into the scenery on lower autogen settings?

Whilst not bringing out so many trees and shrubbery and random housing...

Hi Shaun,

That is sort of how the autogen system works, things like the churches, lightpoles and other custom buildings place a much higher strain on the simulator, hence on lower settings they do not appear, its specifically programed into FSX to work like that

The other solution is to manually place churches by hand, but going off the sheer number of churches in England (over 47,000!), it would be a huge drain on performance, so I dont think that is something that can be done, especially in a landclass/ground texture/autogen based product

The same occurs in other regions.

Cheers

Tim

(Autogen guy for NA/NZ)

Hi Shaun,

That is sort of how the autogen system works, things like the churches, lightpoles and other custom buildings place a much higher strain on the simulator, hence on lower settings they do not appear, its specifically programed into FSX to work like that

The other solution is to manually place churches by hand, but going off the sheer number of churches in England (over 47,000!), it would be a huge drain on performance, so I dont think that is something that can be done, especially in a landclass/ground texture/autogen based product

The same occurs in other regions.

Cheers

Tim

(Autogen guy for NA/NZ)

Hi Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to explain that, I guess it is good excuse to head on out and buy a more powerful rig to allow me to run autogen at full more often with more complex aircraft...

Albeit, I was very impressed that with the bird dog I could fly with full autogen at 2500ft from Leicester to East Midlands Airport with no real impact on my frames (just the odd bit of flashing), I guess EU Eng and the bird dog are well coded products that allow for high FPS

If I was to reduce the autogen tree levels in the .CFG would this help me see all the autogen buildings but reduce the strain on the pc with less trees being processed?

I would like to see some of the ADVERTISED GOLF COURSES!

After many hours flying over areas I know to be rich in golf courses, I have yet to see even one??

These are a significant VFR feature, and since advertised as such I would appreciate that if anyone has actually seen one they can point me to it.

Much as I appreciate the concept of Where's Walley flight sim scenery - Its not the main reason I bought EUUK.

Thanks in anticipation :)

Thanks Tim I have opened a thread.

Like Ken Terry above, I'm based in the SW. Agree with him that Lands end and the corridorto the Scillies is a great area to fly in. Huge thanks for keeping EGHD (Plymouth) open in EU - all of us who have flown from this great airport and over the wonderful scenery in the SW are now fighting to try and get it reopened. The Flying School (http://www.flynqy.co.uk/) has gone to Newquay, and they are doing a great job there, but its really good to see HD open for business in FTX - hope you let it stay that way!

I know there is a huge autogen problem that has to be managed, including the tedium of placement.

But the English church is synonomous with the English village although nowadays the pub has a more devoted congregation. But the presence of the church is history but also crucial to VFR flying and training.

In the SW there seems to be some almost randomly placed yellow Norman churches or abbies but many are missing where they would be turning points. I suspect the pointed Gothic Revival spired churches of the Home Counties and the north would also be sparse in their appearance.

JV I think that your idea of a tool to allow the placement of churches and castles like at Conway which are really important to VFR flight is great; then have them uploaded to your site. I would be happier if your English team was to vet them.

castles like at Conway which are really important to VFR flight is great; .

Generally I'd agree with this but I think Conway might be a bit Welsh for this scenery???

Actually I'd love Orbx to create and add-on for Wales. Flying North West from Bristol really highlights the difference between Orb-X and the default!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived