AI Traffic DX10 Preview Conflict

Hi Guys,

Downloaded Australia SP4 today another sensational product thank you. I also decided to install the freeware AI traffic to further enhance my immersion. I have installed 3.2 base pack and the patch 3.21 and have tested FSX after each install. Everything seems to be working fine apart from all GA AI aircraft are displaying as solid white models.

Having reviewed other posts on this forum it appears that there is a conflict with the DX10 preview setting. I just wanted to know if there is a workaround because on my setup if I switch DX10 preview off which resolves the issue this effectively slashes my FPS from a very healthy 25 to below 10 making the sim almost impossible to use.

Does anyone else experience such a significant drop in FPS when they remove DX10 preview - I would have thought it would make the sim more efficient not less. Can anyone confirm if my only option now is to uninstall the AI traffic which is a shame as it really adds a lot to the scenery at airports????

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :wacko:

Hi there,

as it says on the little tickbox for DX10 it is a "preview mode", alas M$ didn't bother to make it fully functional, hence you will notice a number of issues with it to avoid further frustrations I recommend you to completely forget about it and use fsX with DX9 as it was intended to be able to fully enjoy all options of it.

for the latest DX9 update please have a look here => http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Hello Wolter thanks for getting back to me so promptly...the link takes me to a download option for Direct X. I have a very new rig with Direct X 11 already downloaded on a Windows 7 64 bit OS - will the download give me anything I haven't already got???

As I explained in my original post I have tried DX9 mode but this rather surprisingly slashes the frame rates I get with FSX...do you have any idea why this is?

Another thing that is confusing me is that all the AI International and internal airlines and aircraft appear under DX10 mode perfectly just as they should...are these created differently in the sim and therefore not affected by the DX10 conflict?

Sorry to throw a multitude of questions out there but its really confusing and I wonder if anyone else has experienced similar issues and been able to resolve them.

as you already discovered with the DX9 mode your FPS will take a hit, which is correct as with DX9 fsX displays all items, with DX10 it doesn't therefore the placebo effect of higher FPS

as for the DX9 download, sure W7 has DX 11, but misses a few crucial DX9 files hence the recommended download for DX9, you'll notice that it even improves the FPS a lil ;)

another thing to take into the equation is the hardware, as I don't know what your setup is it's a guessing game for me

but feel free to experiment, only we can't offer DX10 solutions or support as fsX is a DX9 based application as is the SDK for fsX, we have to comply to that to be sure that the sceneries created by the ORBX Team do work with fsX as intended

Wolter I'll certainly give the DX9 download a try tomorrow and I will also update my signature so it details my system but I must admit that I expected to see a i7 3930 OC'd to 4.8Ghz with an ASUS Rampage motherboard and 32Gb DDR3 ram provide much better FPS in DX9 mode than I am getting unless my settings sliders are set too high in FSX but I assumed the hardware could take it.

I'll do some experimenting and get back to you - thank you for your input thus far.

Uber, I don't want to jump in on Wolter's posts, but from where I'm sitting I would say that if you are experiencing frames below 10 with your system in DX9, then you have some serious issues. I never experience anything below 15 in any situation ,with the heaviest of addons. Perhaps it would help Wolter if you replied with your FSX settings, otherwise it's a bit like shooting in the dark.

Hi Howard thanks for the input any advice and assistance is greatly appreciated as I start from zero experience and there is just so much on the internet about various tweaks and so much of it way out of date. I have to admit of havinf run FSX in DX10 mode ever since I started a few months ago and have been very pleased with performance but I just wanted to get into the AI traffic to add another layer of immersion.

Wolter please see the details of my FSX settings as advised and I have added my rig spec to the signature (apologies no screen shots - I don't know how!): -

Graphics

5960 x 1080 x 32 | Antiostropic Filtering | Anti-Aliasing ticked | Global texture resolution: Very High | Preview DX10 + Lens Flare + Light Bloom + Advance Animations All Ticked

Aircraft

High Resolution 3D Cockpit ticked | 2D Panel Transparency 0% | Aircraft cast shadows on ground+Aircraft cast shadows on itself+Aircraft landing light illuminate ground All Ticked

Scenery

LOD Radius: Large | Mesh Comlexity:100 | Mesh Resolution: 10cm | Texture Resolution: 7cm | Water Effects: Max 2.x | Land Detail Textures ticked | Scenery Comlex: Extremely Dense | Autogen Density: Very Dense | Ground Scenery Shadows Not Ticked | Special Effects Detail: High

Weather

Thermal Visualisation: None | Detailed Clouds: Coverage Maximum

Traffic

Airline Traffic: 50% | GA Traffic: 50% | Airport vehicle density: Medium | Road Vehicles: 16% | Ships 6 % and Leisure Boats: 6%

In addition confirming I run a 3-monitor setup with Nvidia Surround and use REXE to provide weather and ground textures. I hope this helps put trying to ascertain why my DX9 performance is so poor. Just to not I have made no FSX.cfg amendments apart from LOD radius set to 6.0 and wideaspect = true.

Many thanks for any help out there guys,

Let's see ;)

Graphics

5960 x 1080 x 32 | Anisotropic Filtering | Anti-Aliasing ticked should be unticked | Global texture resolution: Very High | Preview DX10 forget it + Lens Flare + Light Bloom real fps killers + Advanced Animations Ticked

Aircraft

High Resolution 3D Cockpit ticked | 2D Panel Transparency 0% | Aircraft cast shadows on ground+Aircraft cast shadows on itself use only for screenies when needed +Aircraft landing light illuminate ground All Ticked

Scenery

LOD Radius: Large | Mesh Complexity:100 | Mesh Resolution: 10m 5m | Texture Resolution: 7cm | Water Effects: Max 2.x Mid 2x - High 2x as max | Land Detail Textures ticked | Scenery Complex: Extremely Dense | Autogen Density: Very Dense | Ground Scenery Shadows Not Ticked | Special Effects Detail: High

Weather

Thermal Visualisation: None | Detailed Clouds: Coverage Maximum Medium

Traffic

Airline Traffic: 50% 20-30% | GA Traffic: 50% | Airport vehicle density: Medium Low | Road Vehicles: 16% | Ships 6 % 30% and Leisure Boats: 6% 20%

In addition confirming I run a 3-monitor setup with Nvidia Surround and use REXE to provide weather and ground textures. I hope this helps put trying to ascertain why my DX9 performance is so poor. Just to not I have made no FSX.cfg amendments apart from LOD radius set to 6.0 and wideaspect = true.

to add I'd say get the latest nVidia drivers and nVidiaInspector

setup the nVidia Inspector as per attached screen, with the exception that you need to set it to Multiple Display Performance Mode instead of single screen

Posted Image

as for the fsX.cfg file, there are various, read multiple, options I'll attach my fsX. cfg file so you can compare and try out what works for you,

WARNING !! DO NOT plunk my cfg file directly on your system !! it won't work !

just open it with notepad and compare it to your fsX.cfg you'll see a number of entries that have // in front of them as I test a lot these are to render that particular line inactive

Wolter_fsx_cfg.zip

I wish loads of fun sorting it out and we'll hear all about your exploits I may assume :D;)

Wolter just thought I'd take the time to update you, you were right it was a great deal of fun sorting out the settings and I have learned a lot in doing so. I can't believe how little my GPU's must have been doing with my original setup!!! I must have worked my rig hard yesterday as after all the tinkering Windows 7 decided to blow a gasket a couple of times but a restore thankfully put pay to that : )

Can I say sir...it's official YOU ARE A GENIUS...following your wise words and generous assistance...I now have a beautiful DX9 based FSX with a stunning visual performance locked in and smooth at 30 FPS. What a difference DX9 makes. The water textures look more natural, aircraft lights operate as they should and lights appear where they should instead of floating unnaturally above or below their actual pont of reference. Then theres the amazing AI traffic all resplendent in their GA liveries, what a difference that makes...sensational. The freeware airport at Launceston is a complete gem and all for free...really spoils you and he'll do I need to save the pennies for some payware airports for Australia SP4!

A massive thank you from this relative newb who only new DX10 and the relative incompatibility that it provided. This sim really is a joy especially when operating as the software intended in association with the product Orbx provides. AWESOME.

As it took you some time to react I first thought you'd blown up the contraption :P:D;)

pleased to hear things worked out for you there and now you can start to enjoy and discover the rest of FTX land as it was intended by the Team :D;)

and yes ther are more goodies to implement for even a better ride 8)

but that's for sometime in the future when you have assimilated all of this first >:D

• 1 month later...

Uberscrew,

Not wanting to oppose the advice here but I have found DX10 to be better quality than DX9. See my post in the "compatibility " thread. What intrigues me is that I thought the white AI was a AMD versus GTX issue but apparently its not.

To run DX10 and get rid of the white AI get the program "Addon converter X" . It works like a charm for me. Who knows you may even get more FPS than now! That difference in FPS in another post in that thread seems to be a characteristic of the GTX video card. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Uberscrew and VOLTER

if you switch on previue DX10 it's normal you have PROB with your FPS down..

Why ?

because in your FSX.CFG you have a line name [DISPALAY] NVIDI or ATI CG and .0 ] .0 it's DX9

and for FSX DX10 it's the same line with 0.0 for one screen or 0.1 for 2 screen etc..

if you delete the line display CG ......... .0 ( DX9 ) your frame rate came up with DX10

I hope you that u understand

Patrick

Hi there,

as it says on the little tickbox for DX10 it is a "preview mode", alas M$ didn't bother to make it fully functional, hence you will notice a number of issues with it to avoid further frustrations I recommend you to completely forget about it and use fsX with DX9 as it was intended to be able to fully enjoy all options of it.

for the latest DX9 update please have a look here => http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=35

Hi, Wolter,

I have tried a number of times to install DX9 on my Win7 64bit but I get told I already have a newer version and it will not install.

Is there a workaround for this?

Joe.

Archived