A 747 at YBAS and above the "Red Centre"

moonman

Hello Everyone!

It’s really been quite some time now since I posted any screenshots here – but: For good reason – at least as I think! ;)

So: Making a long story short – I wanted to become familiar with some virtual “Tube-Flying” one day, but as I was an absolute novice in flying the “Heavies” it just took me some time to get into all this stuff like Airacs, proper FMC-Programming and much much more – not to mention finally getting it all set up correctly within FSX … I reached out for and purchased the PMDG 747 as I just like the iconic and unique appearance of that particular airplane so very much! … Digging through almost every aspect mentioned within its loooooong manual then, also purchased the “Angle of Attack” Training course for it and well… finally got it up into the virtual skies of FSX one day!

And now:

I was making one final test flight from YBAS to Kata Tjuta/Olgas and back recently to check out my 747 “knowledge and flying skills”. I know YBAS is barely visited by 747’s, but its main runway is long enough to deal with it – at least as long as it’s not fully laden as far as I know. After finishing that flight I am happy to say, that I got it overall set up correctly.

Sure: I still need lots and lots of practice and sure: I messed up with some details – but … overall I feel home and confident now within my virtual 747-cockpit here – and that was what I wanted to achieve! Still far, far away from being perfect, but at least I now have some stable and reliable knowledgebase to be built on in the future … hmmm… maybe try out the 737 NGX soon? Will, see, will see!

Anyway – said enough: Let’s go now! JV's ENB settings are engaged, TrackIR in place, so:

Everyone please enjoy!

Cheers, Christoph

So: Entering the cockpit in the early morning: Let’s open the blinds here and get some light in …

Posted Image

Looking around in the cockpit and the totally empty upper deck – well it’s still a test flight, so: No PAX on board …

Posted Image

… no, no – not ours… that luggage must be for somebody else …

Posted Image

… no: Our destination is not Longreach today …

Posted Image

… Some view from above: …

Posted Image

… to the runway now …

Posted Image

…well then … lift her up! …

Posted Image

… towards Navpoint ARNTU and then climbing out up to FL180 which is enough for this first part of the flight now …

Posted Image

… be there …

Posted Image

Posted Image

.. really like it – also testing my latest TrackIR purchase now a little …

Posted Image

… back down to 6000 feet – trying out descending via FLCH … really like that “green arch guide” …

Posted Image

… testing some holding at a customised waypoint … – I actually wanted to make this holding above Uluru – but: Hell… I messed something up with my scenery-library… So no Uluru today as FSX simply did not display it :( – well: Next time again! …

Posted Image

.. but the Olgas were there! …

Posted Image

Posted Image

… now back to YBAS and up to FL210 now …

Posted Image

Posted Image

… on approach just shortly before the runway …

Posted Image

Posted Image

… 80 knots – let’s bring thrust-reverse in again now …

Posted Image

… all back home again!

Posted Image

What a fine set Christoph, and it sure does take a lot of time to get to know these biggies i have the NGX and from time to time i have a look but some times i just cant get it right at all and have not the time to study what everything does.

cheers

Iain

What a set Christoph! Really enjoyed the shots and commentary. I also need to learn to fly the heavies more but since I'm planning to work on real life ratings here shortly, been practicing a ton of GA private and instrument work. Keep them coming :)

Really great post there Christoph and thanks for sharing this with us all.

Must be a thrill when you put in all the hard work and study to get this big iron in the air finally, and to have a real understanding of the 747. As of course, this is our aim in FSX to make it as real as it gets.

Very inspiring shots and story :)

Thank You all very, very much for Your kind comments!

Much appreciated!

Great to read that You enjoyed this set here!

Cheers, Christoph

What a fine set Christoph, and it sure does take a lot of time to get to know these biggies i have the NGX and from time to time i have a look but some times i just cant get it right at all and have not the time to study what everything does.

cheers

Iain

Hi Iain!

To be honest: Although I now started to like flying some "Tubes" from time to time, I can just hardly wait anymore to enter a small plane's cockpit and enjoy some VFR flying about ORBX' sceneries again!

And I guess having these many choices is one of the great things about flightsimming! So however it's okay for each of us to fly -it's always the best way then to go! :)

Cheers Christoph

What a set Christoph! Really enjoyed the shots and commentary. I also need to learn to fly the heavies more but since I'm planning to work on real life ratings here shortly, been practicing a ton of GA private and instrument work. Keep them coming :)

Hi Eric!

All the very best to You for Your real life ratings!

If there are any news about it, maybe let us now how it all worked out!

And I have to admit, that if I was going to get me a real world PPL, I would also mainly be focusing on GA planes for sure! :)

Cheers, Christoph

Really great post there Christoph and thanks for sharing this with us all.

Must be a thrill when you put in all the hard work and study to get this big iron in the air finally, and to have a real understanding of the 747. As of course, this is our aim in FSX to make it as real as it gets.

Very inspiring shots and story :)

Hi John!

It's a thrill indeed - and some great fun too, but:

Definitely back to smaller planes now an some "real flying" ;) for a while!

Cheers Christoph

Archived