PAKT - Severe Bumps on Sloped Taxiway

cfelix

When exiting the runway at PAKT (either end) there are a couple of severe bumps at the start of the down-slope that cause a lot of front tire smoke. This is especially noticeable on heavier aircraft such as the NGX. Is there a setting change to address this?

Had a go at it - noticed a very minimal transition "bump" in one place, actually. If I wouldn't look for it, wouldn't have noticed it... No diff with 10 - 5 - 2 mesh settings... Seems like the transition area between the curve and straigh part of the taxiway? I would say barely a frost heave :)

Do you have the latest PAKT patch installed? Are you running Pacific Fjords package? Very recommended - didn't see it in your sig.

We should have Russ comment on this.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Charlie,

sorry I'm not sure what the issue could be as I do not experience the problem you mention, make sure mesh res is set to 10 mtr and texture res to 7 cm, also if you have any 3rd party addons disable them for this moment to check if they do not have influence on this particular problem you have, if that solves it , then start re-enabling the other addons one by one and check till the problem re-appears, if that's the case then it is most likely that you have found the culprit

Hi Charlie,

I believe that bump is something that Russ took a long time trying to adjust. It's basically where two levels join in the model and is near to impossible to get perfect. It isn't so pronounced in the smaller aircraft, but I have the same issue with the NGX.

I am using the 10mtr and 7cm settings. I took a closer look at the events leading up to the "bump" and this is what I saw:

1 - The front wheel lifts above the taxiway:

Posted Image

2 - All three wheels are above the taxiway:

Posted Image

3 - The front wheel drops to the surface:

Posted Image

Hey guys,

This is something i spent a long time trying to resolve, but in the process introduced a whole heap of other 'surface tension' issues and so went back to the bump.

This airport is not like others, you are not taxi-ing on terrain as you are at other airports, you are instead taxi-ing on a giant model, the same way buildings are made. The surface of the airport model is so complex because of the elevations, that it makes the calculation of the hard surface (the hard surface is a seperate model that FSX uses to compute what model surfaces will support your aircraft) very difficult. Initially the user aircraft would simply fall through the surface in many places. I'm reluctant to tweak it further due to it's unpredictable nature.

Russ.

I feel moved to comment on the air of openness and understanding which has been evident on the discussion of this topic and of the YBAS textures in another thread. Without any sign of defensiveness, the developers have openly explained the problems they faced and how they worked to overcome them. The result is understanding and acceptance on all sides. I am proud to belong to such a community.

I also noticed not really a bump, but a change in angle as you descend or ascend the ramps. Originally I actually put this down to being extraordinarily realistic, and assuming that the real airport had these very slight differences in angles along the ramp. It would be a hell of a concreting job if there were no slight angle differences in the real world! Awesome airport, and another example of ORBX treading where no one else has.

Scott

Archived