S43 Harvey

banjoman1960

I also have this same problem, and I was on the DTP server two days ago with another gentleman who had also just installed Harvey, so we headed over there together from Bowerman in the Real Air Scout to check it out for the first time.

We were both stunned by the FPS drop! I went from 30-35 FPS at Bowerman, to around 9 or 10 at Harvey, and VERY jerky and unflyable. That was with animated trees, short grass, leaves disabled, people flow at default, static GA very dense, Balloons enabled, VASI enabled and everything below that enabled except the BBQ.

We each switched aircraft in an attempt to recover some smoothness, and I disabled animated trees and animated birds, and I eventually reached around 12-14fps, but it was smooth. I can only imagine how bad it would've been with animated grass or long grass. It is flyable now, but I haven't exactly been in a hurry to go exploring the area more either, because it isn't as smooth and even of an experience as I'd like. I don't remember what the other guy I was flying with had to disable, but I know he had to tone things down quite a bit.

My specs are Gigabyte X58 Mother board, i7-950, GTX 460, 12GB DDR3, FSX and addons installed on a dedicated SSD, Windows 7 64bit.

At all the other Orbx PNW airports, including the most recent releases besides Harvey, I consistently get a smooth 20-30 FPS, and I fly with everything enabled except seasonal or "event" options.

If it's just a question of an amazing scenery making high demands, I can live with that. But if there is any sort of software issue causing this, I'd love to see a fix for it!

I must be one of the lucky ones. This morning I noticed that I had night enabled. I enabled day setting, which eliminates the light poles, and I can run extremely dense and still be in the twenties. If I unlock the fps they jump to the 30s. That's with a few CP settings checked off. I have not enabled everything.

This could mean that some cards and AA settings are better than others.

Hey Ralf

Try editing your cfg with this.

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=500

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=3000

[GRAPHICS]

ForceFullScreenVSync=1

ForceWindowedVSync=1

[Main]

DisablePreload=1

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33

HideMenuFullscreen=1

HideMenuNormal=1

[bUFFERPOOLS]

RejectThreshold=131072

Try them all or some of them.

Perfect suggestions Mike, i use as well RejectThreshold=131072.

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33 is the FSX default setting though, correct ?

Good to hear Ralf, that it's getting better now for you. Like i said, for high settings you need a very fast system. It also depends on how demanding the aircraft is which you are using. Harvey at moderate settings is still a beautiful place.

You are right Heiko. FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33, is the default setting.

Ralf is using: 0.25 ?

Also lowering buildings in the surrounding area with; TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=XXX, could help fps and smoothness. It is 3000 per default and that is too high for my system in the Seattle area. I use 500 and I am happy with that.

I'd also have a look at your cloud settings Ralf, these settings quoted from your cfg look quite high to me and are probably having an impact as well:

CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=5

CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3

I'm pretty sure dropping these back a notch or two will help without having too much effect on the visuals.

Cheers

Jack

Hey Thank´s All,

will try all that,i takes a lot of time,i change only one and test,before i change the next.................

@ Heiko. FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33, or 0,25? wat change that? it is the time after fsx reload texture?

i have test yesterday online at gamespy with Mike at harvey,and i have fps from 19-28,dense normal,vehicle and peopleflow on other settings at CP like it was after install. testplanes Bonanza V35 and flysimware Bell47G

Posted Image

Thank´s

Ralf

Just remove the FIBER tweak completely - 0.33 is the default setting and works best.

I would say the FPS you achieve now is o.k. for what your PC is capable to process at a highly detailed scenery like Harvey. And Jack is right, for GA flying minimum cloud draw distance is perfectly fine. I never use anything higher. Not even if i make preview or DVD cover shots...

Rule #1 - you have to understand what the tweaks are doing before you use them. Most do more harm than good.

Trees and buildings per cell and RejectThreshold are o.k., forget about any other 'performance' tweaks.

Heiko,

i have copy your post and answer in the text:

Just remove the FIBER tweak completely - 0.33 is the default setting and works best. i have not put this tweak in,i have only seet it to 25,if i change to 33 the frames drop.................

I would say the FPS you achieve now is o.k. for what your PC is capable to process at a highly detailed scenery like Harvey. And Jack is right, for GA flying minimum cloud draw distance is perfectly fine. I never use anything higher. Not even if i make preview or DVD cover shots...

Rule #1 - you have to understand what the tweaks are doing before you use them. Most do more harm than good. i make everytime a copy before i change some thing,so if it not work i have no prob

Trees and buildings per cell and RejectThreshold are o.k., forget about any other 'performance' tweaks. with only that,i get the 9-10fps and stutters and bluries??? i can´t get the frames and a smoth run with standart and low setings at Harvey,all other work with standart cfg smoth,but tweaket better???

so wat is wrong with Harvey at my computer,i think the computer must be ok???

ralf

so after that upgrades i think that it!!!

Posted Image

sorry that i was so angry about harvey,but all other work so nice,and after install it and over 10 hours trouble shoting i was very frustet.........

look at that frames,with long grass,moving cars and people,natureflow and all wat this place need,oh and dense slider at very hight..................that´s ORBX that i know from the stuff i have.

so please close this treat...........

i think it´s done!

Thank´s for all the help here,my computer and FSX is faster than before,and Harvey Field was the reason to find this......... ::)

Cheers

Ralf

Please indulge us, after 3 pages and 52 posts .... What did your PC technician find with your hardware setup which makes you smile now?

the motherboard driver need an update,so now all 4 chips work,and for the graficcard was an update for the driver to..........that´s all...........

Please can you explain further about purchasing these three DVD titles on Ebay?

Fall City Dvd (e-bay)

Darington Mun Dvd(e-bay)

Twin Oaks Dvd (e-bay)

We don't allow anyone to re-sell Orbx products on Ebay, since we only sell the *license* to use our software on a single PC of the person making the license purchase, not any transfer of media rights. The original purchaser breached his EULA by placing them on Ebay and selling them to you.

If you wish to receive support for those three products you will need to purchase a new license for them from FSS or the DVDs from one of our resellers.

Please can you explain further about purchasing these three DVD titles on Ebay?

Fall City Dvd (e-bay)

Darington Mun Dvd(e-bay)

Twin Oaks Dvd (e-bay)

We don't allow anyone to re-sell Orbx products on Ebay, since we only sell the *license* to use our software on a single PC of the person making the license purchase, not any transfer of media rights. The original purchaser breached his EULA by placing them on Ebay and selling them to you.

If you wish to receive support for those three products you will need to purchase a new license for them from FSS or the DVDs from one of our resellers.

Sorry,

i do not know that, that mean i must buy them new???

there are more than one sells from orbx dvd´s.

then i delite it from my signature,and no suport for them.

cheers

Ralf

We cannot control people selling items on Ebay, but unfortunately in this case you've chosen to purchase from a non-authorised source so we cannot offer technical support, sorry.

The same would apply for example to anyone selling boxed DVD games from EA/Ubisoft/Blizzard etc on ebay with registration numbers which have already been used. In that instance EA's servers would simply not allow the game to be registered and played, because it is already registered to the original license holder.

We provide the convenience in our DVDs of having zero copy protection. However, the flipside is that you need to purchase them from the correct resellers only :)

We cannot control people selling items on Ebay, but unfortunately in this case you've chosen to purchase from a non-authorised source so we cannot offer technical support, sorry.

The same would apply for example to anyone selling boxed DVD games from EA/Ubisoft/Blizzard etc on ebay with registration numbers which have already been used. In that instance EA's servers would simply not allow the game to be registered and played, because it is already registered to the original license holder.

We provide the convenience in our DVDs of having zero copy protection. However, the flipside is that you need to purchase them from the correct resellers only :)

OK.

like you see.i have buy all other at FSS,that´s wat i do in Future only..............

Sorry

Ralf

• 9 months later...

I might as well chime in with my 2 cents!

I have several Orbx/FTX airports and by far the worst fps wise with a simple aircraft is "Israels Farm" (WA56). When I'm flying into this area and on final to the tree lined grass strip runway (not the brown field) my fps drop from.40-50 to 12-15 fps.

I've knocked everything off in Orbx Central and still get awful fps even with 50% FSX Scenery sliders. Also I notice if I apply snow wx and fly to this location tere is a huge square section around the general area of the WA56 that shows no ground snow cover at all.....yet all other adjacent land does show white snow cover. It looks odd.to say the least.

I'm wondering if i should do a reinstall of WA56 or are my observations normal for this scenery package? I refer to the 2 issues I mentioned above. The drastic fps drop and "no snow covered ground" in a fairly large area around the airport? Thanks for any help.

Archived