Waco

Flew into Stark's today after not having visited for a while and noticed I have a problem with some of the trees. I've attached a screenshot below. Only seems to be in the Fall and Winter seasons; Spring and Summer are ok. I reinstalled 7S3 and the patch 7S3.130, NA Patch 004 and the latest libraries but it didn't help. I also recycled to default and back to NA. Haven't noticed this at any other airports. I'm not sure what's gone wrong and can't seem to resolve the problem.

Edit: Did a little more research. The problem actually starts in December; October and November are ok.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have this same problem. Discovered it two nights ago but didn't have time to troubleshoot right then and so hadn't posted here yet. That would've been November still though.

Incidentally, that was on a clean install of FSX with only Orbx software installed, including all your currently released northwest USA airports, PNW, PF and NRM.

I just reinstalled Windows and am slowly rebuilding my FS scenery database with only the sceneries I'll actually use. I have FSX on it's own dedicated SSD and love the new load times!

All this just to point out that it probably isn't an issue with a conflicting scenery, because I hadn't installed any.

I have given Bill Womack a heads up on this. You haven't installed any replacement tree textures recently at all?

Nothing but Orbx sceneries and no replacement tree textures. No need, I only fly in Orbx land.

Those trees all use the same texture sheet, which is clue 1. The winter variant of that texture, for some reason, reads as 513KB on my system, while all the other seasons are 683KB. That was clue 2. Although the files all open and read the same way in ImageTool and the models all look fine in my model viewer, clearly there's something about that one file that was unusual. I just generated the DDS version again from my original PSD file, and it's now the same file size as the others. Let me do a little testing with this new file and if it looks like it works then I'll let you try it out.

thanks,

Bill

The new file worked a treat Bill. Trees look great, no leaves as expected. Nice!

Doing a little more research I notice a problem with different trees or bushes in the screenshot below in October and November. September and December are ok.

Posted Image

Yep, I see the problem with the files. The fall texture for that set has the same smaller filesize. Interestingly, this doesn't seem affect most systems. I thought at first it was an nVidia vs. ATI thing, but you've got the same card I do. Maybe a driver version issue? Regardless, it seems like regenerating the two offending DDS files from the original Photoshop masters does the job, so I'll consider this one solved.

There are a couple other things I'd like to upgrade and patch in the next Stark's version, so I'll add these files to that list.

thanks,

Bill

Okay, an update for anyone who's following this post: I located two texture sheets in the 7S3 install that have suspiciously small file sizes. Those seem to be the ones that a few people are having trouble with. We've tested and determined that on at least one system, replacing the textures with newly regenerated versions fixed the problem. I've got a few other fixes and additions in the works for Stark's, so I'll roll this update into it for distribution soon.

thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,

I just flew into Stark's and I also have the same problem. Can I also get the two files that fix the issue as 7S3 is looking might ugly this time of year with those black curtains?

Stiletto2

Rather than send out files on an individual basis, it'd be a whole lot more orderly for us to wrap up the fixes into an installer. Give me a few days to put it together and get it tested, and we create a fix that works for everyone.

Thanks,

Bill

Rather than send out files on an individual basis, it'd be a whole lot more orderly for us to wrap up the fixes into an installer. Give me a few days to put it together and get it tested, and we create a fix that works for everyone.

Thanks,

Bill

Ok, great! Thanks.

Stiletto2

Archived