737-800 Cockpit part 2

tennyson

Hi Guys,

I know some of you were interested in the making of my cockpit, so I thought an update might be appropriate.

I have almost finished my MIP and will be installing my screens and testing avionics next week. My avionics PC is an 1155 Asus board, i7 2600k, 16Gb RAM and a 240gb Max IOPS drive. It has 4 individual graphics cards for my Pilots PFD's, FO's PFD's, Upper EICAS, Lower Eicas and twin CDU's.

Unfortunately the CDU bay that I made, turned out to be the wrong dimensions, so I had to tear it apart and start again. It's now re-built and CDU's and lower EICAS (10.4" screen whitch I bought from China) will be installed next week, too.

For my graphics, I have two 32" lcd's (forward two windscreens) and two 27" screens for the side windows. I bought the 32" LCD's tonight, high def 1920 x 1080 3D screens.

These will be fed by a single PC running twin GTX580's. I'll be making it from a 2011 board with the i7 3700k (or thereabouts), 16Gb fast RAM and a REVO3 480Gb drive.

The last PC in the equation is the master, I have half built. It's an 1155 Asus board, i7 2600k, 16Gb RAM and another 240GB Max IOPS drive.

I was originally contemplating running Project magenta for my cockpit, but it meant running 7 or 8 PC's, so opted for Sim Avionics and can get it down to 3 PC's (4 with the Instructor station).

It's been and will continue to be a huge learning curve and I'm gleening info from so many sources at the moment.

Will get some pics next week, when I have the MIP in place and all my avionics running.

Frank

I have just about finished the re-vamped CDU bay and will be putting the entire MIP together in the morning, including the four screens and the CDU's.

I'm also off to pick up my 2 x 3D 32" LCD's I bought on Friday, so I'll be able to hook them up and give them a run as well.

I am hoping to be be testing my avionics tomorrow, so I'll take some snaps to show you all then.

The fun has just begun,

Frank

Ok, so I took a few quick snaps.

The first one here is the re-vamped CDU bay. it's ready for a final sand in the morning and then a few top coats to finish off.

Posted Image

And here's the MIP, almost finished as well, ready to mount in the CDU bay and then have the end plates attached.

Posted Image

My MIP kit containing all of my switches, knobs and korries are on their way from Europe and should be here this week.

More pics later,

Frank

I been hard at it all day.

In between trying to fit all the power supplies and screens and cdu's in the CDU bay, I've been cooking 8 Christmas Cakes.

Finished 6 and on the 7th now, so I been a busy boy, let me tell you.

I bought a beautiful little 10.4" screen for my lower EICAS screen and had some trouble getting it going. I finally figured out that I had not connected a little extra circuit board needed for operation.

She fired up in 1024 x 768 res and looks a million dollars. I even found a 12 volt power supply lying around in my box of spares, so saved myself a few bob there, too.

Here's the little screen:

Posted Image

Here's the bay being modified for the CDU's:

Posted Image

Power packs for the CDU's:

Posted Image

And another for the lower EICAS screen:

Posted Image

That's about all I got. i'll take some more interesting pics in the next few days when the CDU bay is finished and the MIP mounted on the bay.

Frank

Nice one there Frank coming along great i look foward to seeing the upcoming shots as you progress and well done to you indeed on this build, as ive said often i take my hat off to you Emmsie would not know where to start on a project like this.

cheers

Iain

It's a daunting task, Iain, especially if you wanna use all of the new tech.

A lot of the cockpits are based on some pretty old technology, so adapting them becomes a game of trial and error.

You also need a lot of patience when things go wrong, won't fit or just will not co-operate. I've got an ex-aviation background (airframe and sheet metal worker) and then I ran my own IT company (where I did a fair amount of electronics) for many years, so it is all just calling up old skills that have laid dormant for some time.

The final piece of the puzzle is having a good partner who will look the other way when you've just spent the equivalent of a good overseas holiday, on your "obsession".

Lucky for me, I married a goddess, who never questions, but is always there to offer a hand. She says, it's my outlet and it's cheaper than me gambling or drinking and I'm always at home.....hahaha

Frank

It's a daunting task, Iain, especially if you wanna use all of the new tech.

A lot of the cockpits are based on some pretty old technology, so adapting them becomes a game of trial and error.

You also need a lot of patience when things go wrong, won't fit or just will not co-operate. I've got an ex-aviation background (airframe and sheet metal worker) and then I ran my own IT company (where I did a fair amount of electronics) for many years, so it is all just calling up old skills that have laid dormant for some time.

The final piece of the puzzle is having a good partner who will look the other way when you've just spent the equivalent of a good overseas holiday, on your "obsession".

Lucky for me, I married a goddess, who never questions, but is always there to offer a hand. She says, it's my outlet and it's cheaper than me gambling or drinking and I'm always at home.....hahaha

Frank

I imagine I see the funny side of that comment, for my wife often says the same thing, and I think to myself if only you knew. I have been following your post from the beginning.

I can see where a lot of patience is required, but you must be feeling very satisified with the results if the pictures are anything to go by.

Looking forward to more pics'. I think you said that you bought that 10.1 screen from China, I have been looking at several Electronics sites in China but i can't find a suitable screen at the moment, would you have a Link for the Site you used.

Hi Guys.

Just a quick update. I've finished the CDU bay and it's ready to be connected to the MIP.

Here's a few pics featuring the centre screen (lower EICAS):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now I can get on with testing all of the components and screens.

Will be back with more pics soon.........

Frank

Not really, Sniper.

I'm setting it up in my front room of my house (the computer room), but because I don't have to worry about projectors, there isn't the necessary space needed for that.

So, according to my measurements (and I am using the one's that most cockpit builder's use, which are taken from the real aircraft) I will only need 2/3 of the room for my cockpit.

I have pre-laid flooring (blue-tongue particle board) down on the carpet, so that I can bolt everything to the floor and not mess up the underlying carpet.

We'll see how it all pans out,

Frank

Fired up the MIP and all of the screens yesterday.

All went per advertised, but I am still coming to terms with Sim Avionics (which runs all of the avionics for the 738). It's a pretty steep learning curve, but I like the software and it's something that you can really come to grips with.

I'm heading off on holidays tomorrow, so I'll have to put my toys aside for 5 weeks.

When I get back, I'll be finishing off the glareshield and all of the switches, clocks, etc. and then it's on to the graphics.

Will post a few more pics then.

See you all,

Frank

i also take my hat off to you frank,this project is looking better and better every time i view this thread,i really cant wait for the finished result and im sure you cant wait too,best of luck mate.

Archived