Yakima Scenery maybe?

AndreaD

Hi all, I was wondering about this airport. I believe it is within the borders of CRM, a scenery that I do not own (yet). Maybe you are considering releasing it in the future?

It is an interesting airport both because of its geographical location and for a quite convoluted LOC/DME-BC circling approach to runway 09 (longer than 7000', suitable for 737's i think)

Tnx, bye

Andrea

Yakima is in a mountainous area and in addition directly to the northeast of the city is the Yakima Training Center. What goes on there is sort of a mystery and as you drive the interstate highway there are signs all over the place telling you that "Deadly Force is Authorized for Trespassers". I think that might also be a factor in a convoluted approach to the airport as I'm pretty sure flight is restricted over the center.

Weirder and weirder ...spud really got my attention here... I remember seeing those signs (and some big dangerous-looking guys actively supporting them) around the White Sands on my way from Las Cruces to Alamogordo....

Well I might have a look at CRM of course; was just wondering whether there is any plan for a dedicated effort to this airport...

Bye

Andrea

Oh and btw..... what about North California and related airports? Because when THOSE come out, I know I'll break the piggy ....

Hi Andrea

There are over 450 revised airports in CRM, you can't go wrong is getting it.

Northern California is next after NZSI which is due later this year. I got a jump on the rest of the team while they've been doing NZSi and am way ahead on the airports.

Cheers, Neil (the CRM and NCA airport guy)

So we are looking at a 2012 release... Ok, out of curiosity, does that WA stand for Western Australia or Washington state?

And while I wait, I could buy CRM..... Did you do Yakima?

Another thing: Have you thought of Orbx sceneries as a teaching aid for geography? It would be awesome at high school!

Hi Andrea

There are over 450 revised airports in CRM, you can't go wrong is getting it.

Northern California is next after NZSI which is due later this year. I got a jump on the rest of the team while they've been doing NZSi and am way ahead on the airports.

Cheers, Neil (the CRM and NCA airport guy)

Hi Andrea,

The WA is for Washington state, Lynnwood is about 15 miles north of Seattle.

Yes, Yakima was done as well as ALL the rest of the airports in the CRM area. My task on our team is to revise the airports in a region to a "default" level, ie; rwys, taxiways, aprons accurately placed, most buildings depicted with as close an object as we have in our ORBX libraries, static a/c and vehicles added at appropriate locations, lighting and misc "clutter" added for interest, etc.

Other teams or individuals do the highly detailed payware or freeware airports that we offer, but we all strive to bring the most accurate rendition of the area being depicted, you won't find better anywhere (blatant advertisement!!).

The NCA airports are a 'labor of love' for me as I was born and raised in Northern California.

Cheers, Neil (the default airport guy)

Just a quick question, how far south is the coverage of "Northern California"? Because I used to live like an hour east of Fresno next to Highway 168 up in the mountains and I would like to know whether this area will already be covered in "NCA" or if it will be part of "Southern California"?

Kind Regards,

Chris

Hi Andrea,

The WA is for Washington state, Lynnwood is about 15 miles north of Seattle.

Yes, Yakima was done as well as ALL the rest of the airports in the CRM area. My task on our team is to revise the airports in a region to a "default" level, ie; rwys, taxiways, aprons accurately placed, most buildings depicted with as close an object as we have in our ORBX libraries, static a/c and vehicles added at appropriate locations, lighting and misc "clutter" added for interest, etc.

Other teams or individuals do the highly detailed payware or freeware airports that we offer, but we all strive to bring the most accurate rendition of the area being depicted, you won't find better anywhere (blatant advertisement!!).

The NCA airports are a 'labor of love' for me as I was born and raised in Northern California.

Cheers, Neil (the default airport guy)

Neil,

I would like to thank you for the fantastic job you did on the bush strips in central Idaho. Most enjoyable time I've had in flight sim in quite some time. I really liked the campers at Dewey Moore.

Oh well.... since we have "default airport guy" on this channel, I might as well ask....

What about the Albuquerque-Las Cruces-El paso-Alamogordo area?

I have an affection for that place, because I spent a month at the Uni there some 20 years ago, and I still remember playing beervolley at the White Sands, soccer at the campus of Las Cruces, a visit at the space museum in Alamogordo ....

And I have another request, but I will write it in another post.

Thanks

Andrea

Second request: ITALY!

We have a great simming community here (I am cofounder of PVI - Piloti Virtuali Italiani), waiting for a decent scenery. I believe 2 regions would fit it, with all imaginable landscapes, from Alps to Sicily and Sardinia and then you could choose among 20 - 30 airports.

And what about cities? Rome, Florence, Venice, Naples .....

Remember, there is NOTHING except for a very good freeware scenery of Tuscany and Liguria that can be found on Aussiex...

And do you know why there is nothing?

Because 2 years ago someone made a promise: they said they were developing a photoreal scenery of unbelieveable quality for all of Italy, including the whole territory and all main airports with a never-seen-before level of detail, and that it would be out in a year or so. They also produced some promising screenshots.

They added that the scenery would be given away FOR FREE!

It's hardly surprising that no payware company made an effort at Italy: why waste money on something that will be worthless in a few months?

Then time passes and turns out that the scenery won't be free at all. Nope, it will be a commercial product and will cost more than 1000 €.

Uhm...... oh no... I am being a nasty boy .... I MUST believe in coincidences, and Whitesnow, Cinderella, Santa Claus .....

Well, let's concede it was a coincidence, or maybe it was the planets. Our present situation is that we have NO scenery and even if THAT scenery comes out, nobody wants to pay that much money.

Orbx would find an excellent market here.

Unless, of course, the Fairy Godmother gives us the super duper free Italy scenery.

Just an idea.... I propose as a beta tester for Rome, Florence, Sardinia and Sicily, just in case.

Andrea

Hi Chris, Andrea

Chris, somewhere around here is a KML for the NCA area, I just can't put my finger on it but I do know that Fresno is included and the Yosemite area but the area you're talking about might be just inside or outside the area, I don't know.

Andrea, I was stationed in Alamogordo, NM when I was in the Air Force (a LONG time ago) so I'm familiar with all those places you mentioned but that area is not on the radar as yet. Unless things change, after NCA will be an interesting area called NEM, New England-Maritimes which will include upper New England and some of the Canadian Maritime provinces. Also we will be working on NZNI, New Zealand North Island and one other that's early in planning. Beyond that even if I knew more I couldn't tell you.

Let's just say I have plenty to keep me busy.

Cheers, Neil

Andrea,

You'll have to bring "ORBX in Europe" up with JV. I don't think it's completely out of the question (speaking for myself, you understand) but a whole new team would be needed. Now if a group of talented folks would be willing to work together to do areas in Europe I'm sure John would be willing to listen.

Cheers, Neil

Oh ehm .... I actually developed something for FS, but it was about 20 years ago and it was an ATC program (not an easy feat, with the resources we had at that time: serial ports, 4800 baud modems...).

Don't ask me to draw anything tho: as far as I am concerned, as a mathematician I am only interested in the genus of anything: how many holes has it got? None? Cool, then it's a sphere. One? Ok, it's a torus...

Bye

Andrea

Anyway, I want to give it a try ....

Mr. Venema? Please listen to me.... Do you think you might consider doing Italy? We have NO fsx scenery here (read whole story a few posts up) and we are an incredible simming community.

If you google for PVI (Piloti Virtuali Italiani) you'll find many italian fs fans. Tell them I sent you (I founded that association with some friends 16 years ago). Please give this idea a thought, EVERYONE would buy an Italian scenery made by Orbx! It could well be worthwhile.

Cheers

Andrea

Oh btw: I just turned Senior Member .... What do I get for this achievement? A free scenery of choice would suffice. Or the promise of doing Italy of course!

Archived