Limited NatureFlow at Skagit

Bruce Hamilton

I am waiting to download Skagit later this evening. If it's similar to Fall City then you'll find that the moving grass and trees only move in a particular place at the airport. Not all trees and grass move. I actually unticked them in the CP as I found an unacceptable framerate hit. Not quite sure I'm bothered about moving grass and trees while I'm flying anyhow ;)

Sorry to be on a downer about this new scenery, as I am really impresed with it, but am I the only one who is experiencing pretty duff framerates? Even with trees and grasses turned off, my framerates in the RealAir Duke are comparable with the NGX at Canberra!!! I easily get 30 at places like KORS and I have also noticed the odd stutter, which I do not normally experience. As I said, it's great scenery but just a little confused as to why I would be getting significantly inferior frames to KORS with similar settings and aircraft...

The grass is set to static in the KBVS control panel by default.

My panel says 'Natureflow grasses' - None, Dense and Heavy

So the Dense and Heavy settings are just static grass? If so that's good as far as I am concerned.

Am I misunderstanding?

Sorry to be on a downer about this new scenery, as I am really impresed with it, but am I the only one who is experiencing pretty duff framerates? Even with trees and grasses turned off, my framerates in the RealAir Duke are comparable with the NGX at Canberra!!! I easily get 30 at places like KORS and I have also noticed the odd stutter, which I do not normally experience. As I said, it's great scenery but just a little confused as to why I would be getting significantly inferior frames to KORS with similar settings and aircraft...

Howard - I do find it tougher on frames than KORS for sure. I am assuming its because of the larger density of the towns around the airport and the associated autogen.

Howard - I do find it tougher on frames than KORS for sure. I am assuming its because of the larger density of the towns around the airport and the associated autogen.

Hi Glenn, sure, I guess you must be right. Although to be honest, KORS is pretty dense with a good amount of autogen?

Tho sparse I've seen some "NatureFlow" at 1WA6 which is the main reason I purchased this scenery in the first place, as I consider it an ORBX classic- being "a first" of it's kind. Using "Atmosphere Deluxe" http://www.vectormediasoftware.com/products.htm to include wind sounds along with other ambient sounds already included by ORBX, has created a flight sim immersion and excitement not heretofore experienced! Fast production of airports out the door-- assembly line fashion, leaving much detail unfinished, has never been the ORBX style. In my opinion the talent pool John has put together with people like Russ, Hugh, and others coming on board (unlike other companies producing lifeless sceneries) assures a resurrection from dead and boring airports to those with new and fresh innovations- thriving with all kinds of activity. Certainly makes it a "no brainer" choosing where and how to invest in flight sim as it continues to evolve...

So far I've not seen nature flowing in any direction at Skagit- if this is happening (and I'm sure it must be)- perhaps someone could please point us in that direction?

Joseph

Actually Hugh's NatureFlow implementatin at KBVS is near perfect IMHO. There are pine trees swaying behind the terminals and also a maple and a beech, both which turn beautifully yellow and red in the fall with leaves falling. Then there is the matter of the huge infield area at this large airport. Hugh and I discussed what the best strategy would be to achieve a balance between performance and also adding some animated grasses, and the end result provides enough animated grass to catch your eyes as you taxi.

You cannot compare the NatureFlow from an intimate tiny airfield like Fall City to what is implemented at a large-area airport like Skagit.

NatureFlow is as much about the subtlety with which it can be implemented, as the tech itself. If we turned Skagit into a sea of waving grass and movng trees it would both kill the performance and be unrealistic versus the real world airport.

Actually Hugh's NatureFlow implementatin at KBVS is near perfect IMHO. There are pine trees swaying behind the terminals and also a maple and a beech, both which turn beautifully yellow and red in the fall with leaves falling. Then there is the matter of the huge infield area at this large airport. Hugh and I discussed what the best strategy would be to achieve a balance between performance and also adding some animated grasses, and the end result provides enough animated grass to catch your eyes as you taxi.

You cannot compare the NatureFlow from an intimate tiny airfield like Fall City to what is implemented at a large-area airport like Skagit.

NatureFlow is as much about the subtlety with which it can be implemented, as the tech itself. If we turned Skagit into a sea of waving grass and movng trees it would both kill the performance and be unrealistic versus the real world airport.

I think both of these quotes go together. Hugh has done a great job on subtle Nature Flow and there is no doubt that this nicely detailed area in the middle of big city population does challenge the frame rates. I have a lot of horsepower in my system and this area does take me into the low 20s for frame rates (of course I am running 5040 x 1050) with all of the scenery options turned on ...there is even a little stutter here and there as Howard mentions.

Based on frame rates, I think the Nature Flow does need to be a bit limited just as Hugh has implemented it. However, it sure is a unique area to fly around. Thanks Hugh for your hard work on this gorgeous scenery.

Stiletto2

John, thank you for your response and maintaining your high standard of impeccable quality for each ORBX release. Some years back many including myself hoped to see what we are seeing now as far as the direction "living" scenery evolvement has taken. Even with the present FSX code limitations - what ORBX has accomplished to stretch the boundaries beyond what most thought was possible is remarkable indeed! Yet the hard and tedious work involved in this feat has been greatly rewarded- setting Orbx as a unique standard bearer of what's possible for all peers involved with flightsim- we all applaud you for that.

I do realize other cutting edge graphics such as "The Hunter" http://www.thehunter.com/pub/, whose every blade of grass moves in a veritable sea of vegetation for virtual miles in every direction while each pine tree sways gently in the wind, is built on a very different kind of engine- able to produce these graphical miracles with acceptable FPS...

Still, I hope to see in time your "NatureFlow" evolve in a more global fashion covering a wider area of Orbx airports- perhaps with more on/off settings to accommodate performance- verses eye candy for minimal, as well as those with high spec PC's. Everyone thereby enjoying realistic wind effects over an entire airport area, producing movement in all directions---

I agree with you it's a very subtle effect- and as far as flight sim, (thanks to Orbx)- a new and different kind of beast- but one that produces an incredible amount of immersion to excite and inspire!

A salute,

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

Yes I am familiar with The Hunter and also other titles like Skyrim which use a licensed API called "SpeedTree" (http://speedtree.com) to add in vegetation by the millions, all controlled by wind speed and direction. SpeedTree was also used by James Cameron in Avatar. I have been following the progress of this tech for nearly six years with the hope that one day this can be used in some flight simulator.

The good news is that I think we don't have long to wait for SpeedTree to show up in a sim somewhere. When it does, you can bet Orbx will be embracing it to the max :)

Meantime, what we're doing with FSX and animated veg is about as good as it's going to get given that the original FSX engine was never designed for it, LOL!

John, thank you for posting that link above-certainly a real eye opener of incredible graphic possibilities ahead-

hopefully coming sooner rather than later- Cameni with Outerra also pioneering some new directions involving space travel...

teaming up someday with Celestia http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/ who knows maybe a first class FTX Martian landscape?

Future looks very exciting indeed!

Joseph

Archived