United Kingdom CDN for FlightSimStore Purchases

Jay Kae

Hello Jay,

Plumped for the 512mb download, speeds varied wildly between 280 and 550 kbps, took 23 minutes to complete.

But, it is Friday afternoon and the internet is quite busy at this time. May do another one at midnight our time to see if there is any difference.

Cheerz. Transport Steve.

Probably because there is nothing in any of the files, as they are demonstration modules purely for Jay's download speed project...... B)

I think Jay should put a little present in them :P

Sunday morning 600 to 700kb/s which is as good as I ever get here on BTbroadband

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Can someone explain to me what this thread is all about ? What does CDN mean ? Why are people downloading something and then reporting back their download speeds ... and what is it exactly that is being downloaded ?

I think CDN is Content Delivery Network and it's a series of servers dotted around the world to allow local (and thus hopefully faster) download of files. The people above are reporting their speeds when downloading a test file to help admin see how well it works.

I'm sure someone with more authority will be along shortly to correct my misconceptions ;)

^^^ in short.. what he said :)

PS If you downloaded from Vancouver, you would have been routed via my server node in Toronto most likely, else it could be Seattle to test:

Traceroute is a common utility that determines the network route data is taking to a destination. It is available on all major Operating Systems.

• Open the Start menu
  • Click on Run
  • Type cmd and then press the OK button to open a command prompt
  • At the prompt, type tracert yourdomain.com and press the Enter key

To copy the output, right-click anywhere in the window and select Mark. You can press Enter to copy all of the output, or select the text you want to copy and then right-click with your mouse. Paste the copied text by hitting CTRL + V.

Note: To traceroute IPv6 you would simply do it as tracert6 yourdomain.com

PS When running this traceroute you will find out what a CDN actually is, even though the file is originating from my UK server, depending on your location it will come from one of my cache nodes closest to you so for example:

Tracing route to flightsimstore-europe.co.uk [108.162.192.156]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms HIDDEN

2 426 ms 440 ms 446 ms HIDDEN

3 469 ms 485 ms 485 ms HIDDEN

4 518 ms 515 ms 527 ms HIDDEN

5 549 ms 562 ms 527 ms Bundle-Ether13.chw53.Sydney.telstra.net [110.142

.193.145]

6 575 ms 587 ms 587 ms Bundle-Ether2.ken43.Sydney.telstra.net [203.50.1

1.29]

7 625 ms 623 ms 635 ms Bundle-Ether9.ken-core4.Sydney.telstra.net [203.

50.11.30]

8 644 ms 652 ms 675 ms TenGigabitEthernet7-1.ken45.Sydney.telstra.net [

203.50.20.64]

9 21 ms 20 ms 20 ms 108.162.192.156

Trace complete.

So in my case the file actually would come from the node (datacenter) I have here in Sydney, Australia not from the source at 108.162.192.156, the connection to 108.162.192.156 is only made to verify the validity of the cached file on the node, make sense ? No? Trust me, it works :)

I think CDN is Content Delivery Network and it's a series of servers dotted around the world to allow local (and thus hopefully faster) download of files. The people above are reporting their speeds when downloading a test file to help admin see how well it works.

I'm sure someone with more authority will be along shortly to correct my misconceptions ;)

Thanks Picnic ! :)

• 3 months later...

Archived