FTX Central and maybe an idea

maxter

I was looking at the list of PDF's on FTX Central and was wondering if the app could interrogate our installation and maybe report alongside the PDF list, the current version numbers of our ORBX sceneries.

I would find it easy to check what versions I have and then go and download the latest updates.

Comments? or have I missed something that already does this :o

Slightly off topic, but very much related to this: I find it increasingly difficult to stay up to date with all patches and SPs across all the areas and airports. I recently had to take a break from FSX and when I came back I spent quite some time finding out which updates where available. This of course is a credit to the ORBX after sales effort in continuing to provide new features to their products.

What I would really appreciate is an update manager built into FTX Central, which tracks which products are installed and then (upon request - NOT automatically) checks if new updates are available, and then installs them if desired.

More time to fly and less time fiddling! :)

Cheers

Remko

Mmm, sure Tim, thanks for the link. But JV commented on two points, the first that he was not interested in going down the road of an automatic installer, which is understandable and second he mentioned the fact that he could not see an issue with time it takes installing an update. With respect to JV, I wholeheartedly agree with Remko. It would IMO be a fantastic asset and step forward to incorporate some small extra which simply pops up and lets you know when an new update is available and for which airport. Or, probably simpler, something that alerts you each time you run FTX central. I agree, with so many updates etc it's very easy to forget to look for them and then often when you do, you forget which version you already have installed!

Hi Rockliffe,

The other issue that may arise using an automated updater, is, the updating of software that may not have been purchased. This, I think, would be unwanted by ORBX (My Opinion). I think that the latest news tab in the Forum is an ideal way of seeing the latest updates. Yes this is more useful once all your updates are current.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

open ftx central where Tim instructed then open your web browser in a minimized view so you can see both windows at once got to orbx support page that list the newest updates and compare the two to see that what you have in the ftx control panel matches the support page EZ :D

We're back to dates again really aren't we? As I've said in earlier threads on this subject, it is a chore to discover what updates you have and those you haven't. If their subject heading could include the issue date it would resolve quite a few of these time wasting searches.

But, for some reason, never explained, Orbx won't do it.

John

We're back to dates again really aren't we? As I've said in earlier threads on this subject, it is a chore to discover what updates you have and those you haven't. If their subject heading could include the issue date it would resolve quite a few of these time wasting searches.

But, for some reason, never explained, Orbx won't do it.

John

I would have thought a pretty good idea would be to rename patches and updates with a date. So instead of an update being named as 0.002 or whatever, it could be named Apr 11 or similar. Or am I being too simplistic?

Archived