Ocieanic Virgin Ailines Merge- What will it be called

qantas747

Hey guys,

you may have seen in my earlier topic about how I went on a brand new Virgin Blue plane in a white livery and non-virgin interior. I later found out from a post in that topic Virgin Blue, Polynesia Blue, Pacific Blue and V Australia will merge in the not too distant future which is the reason all new VB aircraft are in white. Also, if you are a frequent Vigin Blue traveller you may have noticed that the 'lounge' at melbourn, sydney and brisbane are having a make over, apparently for the new airline.

So far it is not known what the new airline will named, some people say Virgin Australia, but I don't know. I reakon something like Virgin Oceania, or something like that.

What do you guys think?

Also tell me if you have any other info on the merge, or if what I know is completely wrong.

Thanks guys,

Ollie

Knowing Branson, he'll probably call it Shrimpy Skyliners or something

Very good, very good, but theses days Branson has almost no imput in virgin blue and so on, he is just a figure face in the market, no need for him to work, what is funny is that he doesn't even fly his own airlines :)

I thought the white livery was just on those A330s because they are leased aircraft, however I may be wrong

I remember early on John Borghetti was saying that even the Virgin part of the name wasn't even safe but the latest I heard was that they would be keeping the Virgin part

I thought the white livery was just on those A330s because they are leased aircraft, however I may be wrong

I remember early on John Borghetti was saying that even the Virgin part of the name wasn't even safe but the latest I heard was that they would be keeping the Virgin part

Don't know if the A330 is leased or not, I think a saw it at melbourne airpot, well atleast there was a white a330 that at a vigin gate. I know that vigin blue owns the 737 that I went own as the pilot told me that it was owned by them.

The A330's are leased some from EMirates i beleive..

And to combat VB's A330 assault on the Sydney Perth route Qantas are flying the 747 domestically ;) means there gotta be a whole lot of cheap fair coming up whilst these 2 go to war ;)

Sine they've used the slogan "More experience than the name suggests" and "Mine's Bigger Than Yours" on a real campaign some time ago, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a "not a Virgin anymore" or something. B)

Sine they've used the slogan "More experience than the name suggests" and "Mine's Bigger Than Yours" on a real campaign some time ago, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a "not a Virgin anymore" or something. B)

Yeah, probably. Wonder what the livery will be like, if Branson had it his way it would be covered in pictures of girls :)

I would suggest there is a reason all the new Virgin aircraft have been delivered in white, I would also suggest Virgin will be retained in the name. I would also suggest all will be revealed sometime around the 4th of May perhaps two aircraft arrive in some fashion with the new paint and name.

I honestly don't know what it is and what they will look like but, the smart money is on Virgin Australia or Virgin Pacific, and perhaps this might be a solid indication of the livery.
/>http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7089740&nseq=0 or this http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7090292&nseq=0

The 747s paint seems to be a bit different with a metallic look to it which i think looks nicer

The CEO did recently hint it might still have a dual name brand initially so i would say Virgin ****** and V ******

I should point out what i have just said is widely already been reported, just in case anyone thinks i am any much the wiser. It is all been a very very closely guarded secret.

What i do know is all the new 737s are coming with the new 787 inspired Sky Interior which is really cool, all LED lighting, re sculptured interior which much more cabin space overhead, and drum roll please a proper two class cabin with proper Business class. So Virgin will not be a budget airline any longer but will be a hybrid along the lines of the very successful Air New Zealand model which has full service and user pays components on its flights which obviously makes sense as they are going to code share.

Thank you martin for your information, it is much appriciated.

The new virgin atlantic livery looks really nice, in the latest Australian Aviation magazine the author says that maybe it could end up looking like it, but instead of the engines being fully red there would be a red band around it, just like what the latest VB a330 to arrive for VB had on it.

It is sure to take over QANTAS as aussie's biggest airline, with it's business class.

The sky interior is so nice, and I have experienced it myself, as you can see in my other topic.

Thanks again,

Ollie

Thank you martin for your information, it is much appriciated.

The new virgin atlantic livery looks really nice, in the latest Australian Aviation magazine the author says that maybe it could end up looking like it, but instead of the engines being fully red there would be a red band around it, just like what the latest VB a330 to arrive for VB had on it.

It is sure to take over QANTAS as aussie's biggest airline, with it's business class.

The sky interior is so nice, and I have experienced it myself, as you can see in my other topic.

Thanks again,

Ollie

I don't think Virgin have any particular plans to be bigger than Qantas in size. Qantas's problem is that they are politically tied to a level of service coverage across the country. Virgin has no such obligation so have the luxury of picking and choosing its routes and destination as determined by the market so size is not really a factor. If Virgin pick up just a few percent of the business market it will produce quite substantial financial benefits for the company because its cost base is much lower than QF. The most important thing for the flying public is that there is true and honest competition, that is what improves service levels and price for the customer and that is what Virgin have always been about.

Its funny as much as we can moan and groan about our employees, it think the VB employees are really excited about the "Game Changer" strategy and where it will take the company. I just did a round trip with Etihad to the UK and I found them excellent, easily on par with Emirates/Singapore. So it seems a solid partnership and business decision.

I honestly don't know what it is and what they will look like but, the smart money is on Virgin Australia or Virgin Pacific, and perhaps this might be a solid indication of the livery.

http://jetphotos.net...=7089740&nseq=0 or this http://jetphotos.net...=7090292&nseq=0

The 747s paint seems to be a bit different with a metallic look to it which i think looks nicer:)

*IF* the livery is similar to those images, it's almost the same as Qantas' from a distance, and with the silvery look, it would be like positioning yourself in-between Jetstar and Qantas (Livery wise, and most likely business model wise).

Doesn't make you stand out much in the Australian market to me, sounds like a way to blend with it...

I know my 4yo son is going to have all sorts of trouble with airline identification as the aircraft fly past to land at YBTL if that's a yardstick for success in positioning yourself to stand out from the crowd.

The current AFL liveries are confusing him enough as it is (and are most likely a good stand in for painting new aircraft until the new livery is announced). They are like the paint job you have when you haven't decided what your l livery is and you want to promote something (and rub Qantas' nose in it) to fill the gap. There isn't much to them, they are essentially blank white with a big decal down the sides and nothing on then fin. Not very visually appealing, eye-catching, or clever. But then again, not hard to remove to put on a new livery Posted Image

But then again, it's all conjecture at this stage, what transpires will be whatever it turns out to be.

cheers

Bungo

*IF* the livery is similar to those images, it's almost the same as Qantas' from a distance, and with the silvery look, it would be like positioning yourself in-between Jetstar and Qantas (Livery wise, and most likely business model wise).

Doesn't make you stand out much in the Australian market to me, sounds like a way to blend with it...

I know my 4yo son is going to have all sorts of trouble with airline identification as the aircraft fly past to land at YBTL if that's a yardstick for success in positioning yourself to stand out from the crowd.

The current AFL liveries are confusing him enough as it is (and are most likely a good stand in for painting new aircraft until the new livery is announced). They are like the paint job you have when you haven't decided what your l livery is and you want to promote something (and rub Qantas' nose in it) to fill the gap. There isn't much to them, they are essentially blank white with a big decal down the sides and nothing on then fin. Not very visually appealing, eye-catching, or clever. But then again, not hard to remove to put on a new livery Posted Image

But then again, it's all conjecture at this stage, what transpires will be whatever it turns out to be.

cheers

Bungo

True in a way, but V Australia's 777s are easy enough to distinguish from Qantas in their current scheme, and having seen the Virgin Atlantic aircraft in person last week they do look more different from QF than you might think. They really are quite striking, with the metallic shine making the difference.

The AFL aircraft were obviously ordered in white to do the new branding at a later date. The decals i believe are top remain for 12 mths. The problem with repainting Vertical Stabs is that the Rudder has to be removed and balanced after painting ( search for 737s on the production line, you will see all the aircraft rudders are painted while the remainder of the aircraft is in primer). These aircraft only arrived in late December, too close for the brand relaunch to paint the tails with anything, only to have them repainted again in a month or so. I would expect them to be some of the first to be sent across the ditch for the tails to be branded and have the Business class etc to be fitted. But they had to have the AFL branding done for the start of the season.

I am expecting Red, White, Silver and Purple to feature in the scheme in one form or another.

Yeah, I am expecting them to go with a livery which is very similiar to the one of V Australia, as the latest A330 has been given the same engine decals as the V Australia B777. But the real question is what the tail will be.

Recently Virgin Blue submitted this to the Australian government's intellectual property division. The new name is Virgin Australia, however the V Australia product will remain the same, The New Logo is heavily influenced by the Virgin Atlantic logo, bearing a very close resemblance. The first 737 is currently nearing completion in Christchurch (VH-YFC which is also the first aircraft to feature the sky interior). It is not known yet if Polynesian and Pacific Blue will be folded into the V Australia or Virgin Australian Brand. VOZ also now have permission from Singapore Airlines to use the Virgin Callsign/Brand internationally. The New ATR's are expected to come in this livery as well. Quite an improvement I think (though I doubt the Australian market is big enough for two full service airlines) The announcement ceremony is set to feature one A330 and one 737 in the new livery

The New Logo

Posted Image

Recently Virgin Blue submitted this to the Australian government's intellectual property division. The new name is Virgin Australia, however the V Australia product will remain the same, The New Logo is heavily influenced by the Virgin Atlantic logo, bearing a very close resemblance. The first 737 is currently nearing completion in Christchurch (VH-YFC which is also the first aircraft to feature the sky interior). It is not known yet if Polynesian and Pacific Blue will be folded into the V Australia or Virgin Australian Brand. VOZ also now have permission from Singapore Airlines to use the Virgin Callsign/Brand internationally. The New ATR's are expected to come in this livery as well. Quite an improvement I think (though I doubt the Australian market is big enough for two full service airlines) The announcement ceremony is set to feature one A330 and one 737 in the new livery

The New Logo

Posted Image

Thanks Jackson for the information in which you have given us. I have been on VH-YFC before, actually on its first day of service. For me info read my topic about it. http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/31718-brand-new-voz-737-800/page__p__273000__fromsearch__1#entry273000

The new sky interior is very nice, with more legroom as well.

Thanks,

Ollie

Now that is smart, a great combination of names and objectives. But does it foretell future triumphs or solitary failure? Maybe its just too ambivalent for the company to use.

Not of course that Branson hasn't played the double entendre game withour apology.

That depends, not sure if they have the branding on the belly.

Word is that all four airlines will be Virgin Australia by the end of the year after Branson reached a deal with Singapore Airlines for them to use Virgin on the international flights... or that Singapore is going to sell its 49% perhaps to Ethihad.

As far as repainting and reconfiguring the fleet, the Christchurch paint hanger has been booked out by VB... oops i mean VA for the next two years. There is actually nowhere left in Australia to have an airliner repainted after a company in Townsville either closed down or failed CASA regs not sure of the full story there.

Maybe it will grow on me but for the moment I am thinking, bland, unimaginative and boring

Ben Sandilands has already labeled it Virgin Bland... whoops. Mostly I think there is too much white. Personally if they had just done the Virgin Atlantic (big type, red engines and branding on the belly) scheme with this new tail so its not confused with Qantas it would look better.

I hope they haven't swung the brand too far away from the fun airline it has been for the last ten years. I hope they remember that regular travelers keep the airline afloat while business travelers make you the profit.

Well I just feel for the AI crowd... lotsa work coming up!

That tail livery doesn't look particularly easy to reproduce.

Bland perhaps, but way classier than the VB, a natural evolution of a now established brand.

It's a much more logical brand name than the tongue-in-cheek "blue"

This is an attempt to go for a much more mature / different market than the "Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls" clientelle of the past. Those people now fly JQ and Tiger because they are cheap. The business market is what makes the money for these carriers, and competing on price alone has had its day for VB

Whilst we might like the look of planes, companies don't make money from people looking at them!

Personally, my choice to fly is based on: aircraft type and maintenance, pilot training and standard, safety record ... and indirectly perceived viability (profitable company, sustainable reasonable fares).

New "serious contender" image. I'd imagine that's what they want. "Bland" by definition is what offends the least number of people ;)

It does look bland, but I have to admit the old Virgin Blue exterior was looking old and and a bit dirty, especially with the older 737-700s. The new livery looks a lot cleaner and sharper, but the tail needs to be white on red, not red on white, but then it would look to much like Virgin Atlantic.

I personally really like the new livery, similar to what folks above have said, after 10yrs in the market the time has come for the Virgin Blue brand to mature and I believe there is space in the Australian market for this 'new world carrier' product they are offering. I don't see any reason why Economy class passengers would cease flying the airline, in fact I think their new image coupled with the same fares they've been always offering will potentially attract many Economy Class Qantas passengers to the airline as well. And a Business Class will surely be a hit with business travellers.

And in my opinion the best part about this change is the new agreement with SQ allowing Virgin to use the Virgin-brand on all their flights. While I don't think Virgin Blue flights to the U.S. would be so appealing, I'm sure that Virgin Australia flights will be

I can't wait until my next flight with this airline Posted Image

And in my opinion the best part about this change is the new agreement with SQ allowing Virgin to use the Virgin-brand on all their flights. While I don't think Virgin Blue flights to the U.S. would be so appealing, I'm sure that Virgin Australia flights will be

That has been one of the big issues. V Australia is a full service airline on par with any of the leading full service airlines and modeled off Virgin Atlantic. But the public perception has been that V is a low cost carrier like Virgin Blue. So now that they will be all under one name both domestic and international can be marketed together with out confusion of what level of service to expect. The main difference is that domestic will probably still have a user pays component such as food and entertainment in the economy end, but i would expect an Air New Zealand style pre-pay system of ticketing which has proven very successful.

Now some whine about user pays, but the principle is about having choice and keeping the cost base for the airline down. You wouldn't believe how much waste full service catering produces, huge amounts of food and products get thrown out after each flight as many people don't each much or any of it, Not to mention that all that stuff has to be carried around in the aircraft for no reason.

It does look bland, but I have to admit the old Virgin Blue exterior was looking old and and a bit dirty, especially with the older 737-700s. The new livery looks a lot cleaner and sharper, but the tail needs to be white on red, not red on white, but then it would look to much like Virgin Atlantic.

Or look too much like Qantas

I really agree with Martin's idea about the Air NZ style of ticketing. I think it's one of the smartest ideas ever to create the sort of 'virtual' cabin they have created, where people just prepay for seat, seat+bag, the works etc. Perhaps those on connecting flights with international Virgin Australia might get the full-service, I suppose we'll see how this pans out in the future.

And yes, to have white writing on red would look far too much like Qantas, not on the ground but definitely from a distance while the aircraft is in the air. :)

That has been one of the big issues. V Australia is a full service airline on par with any of the leading full service airlines and modeled off Virgin Atlantic. But the public perception has been that V is a low cost carrier like Virgin Blue.

Interesting you said that Marty,

I consider my self well up to date on the happenings of the Australian airline industry, reading various forum and the Australian business traveller and what not (my kinda goss lol)

And im flying to LA in June with Qantas on the A380 and I although I preferably fly Qantas I did prefer the B777 but since it had a "V" on its tail and was related to the Virgin group I thought I'd be paying for meals and IFE.. The last thing anyone wants to a 12+ hour flight!!

It seems their marketing department may be falling short of letting people know that it is a full service airline and not a 90degree seat pitched pay as you go airline..

Josh

Interesting you said that Marty,

I consider my self well up to date on the happenings of the Australian airline industry, reading various forum and the Australian business traveller and what not (my kinda goss lol)

And im flying to LA in June with Qantas on the A380 and I although I preferably fly Qantas I did prefer the B777 but since it had a "V" on its tail and was related to the Virgin group I thought I'd be paying for meals and IFE.. The last thing anyone wants to a 12+ hour flight!!

It seems their marketing department may be falling short of letting people know that it is a full service airline and not a 90degree seat pitched pay as you go airline..

Josh

Hi Josh,

I flew to LA last year with V Aus and thought they were fantastic. All meals are provided as well as some alcohol. The service was great,entertainment was great and the plane was great. It was all good. I would highly recommend them.

Archived