AI Traffic - Australia

paulb

I have just installed the FTX (Au) AI traffic package and update - Excellent BTW, it makes Melbourne come alive.

I note that it suggests that one should now disable the AI traffic in the individual scenery files.

My question - should I do this for every single scenery or are there some sceneries that still benefit from retaining their original AI traffic?

Thanks

Paul

The AI Traffic included in each of the Orbx airports uses default FSX aircraft which are general in appearance and heavy on frames. They were placed before the FTX AU Traffic pack was upgraded to include AI specific GA aircraft. The airport specific traffic files are now intended only for those who do not have the FTX AU Traffic pack installed.

Leaving these default aircraft in place will result in a double up of AI movements as the schedules from the earlier traffic files are now included in the FTX AU Traffic pack but with more efficient aircraft. There will also be an adverse effect on frames plus you may find there is insufficient parking for all your AI at some airports.

It should also be noted that the next FTX AU Traffic pack release will include some 200 to 300 additional GA aircraft which will not only add more AI to existing Orbx airports but will also add aircraft movements to every AI capable airport in FSX Australia.   

Sorry Graham, I am a little confused. So, do we move the airport vehicle density sliders to the left in the FSX control panel, effectively turning them off? And does this mean we also turn off the GA and airline sliders also?

The AI Traffic included in each of the Orbx airports uses default FSX aircraft which are general in appearance and heavy on frames. They were placed before the FTX AU Traffic pack was upgraded to include AI specific GA aircraft. The airport specific traffic files are now intended only for those who do not have the FTX AU Traffic pack installed.

Leaving these default aircraft in place will result in a double up of AI movements as the schedules from the earlier traffic files are now included in the FTX AU Traffic pack but with more efficient aircraft. There will also be an adverse effect on frames plus you may find there is insufficient parking for all your AI at some airports.

It should also be noted that the next FTX AU Traffic pack release will include some 200 to 300 additional GA aircraft which will not only add more AI to existing Orbx airports but will also add aircraft movements to every AI capable airport in FSX Australia. 

Many thanks for the reply Graham. So should I go to the control panel for each of my FTX AU airports (including the very latest releases) and turn ai traffic off?

Cheers

Paul

As advised by Paulb above, this issue is covered on page 5 of the FTX AU User Guide however I will reprint those notes here.

“Deactivate AI Traffic at Existing Orbx FTX Airports

Many FTX Airports released so far have included a Traffic file to provide a few Cessna’s or Beech’s etc. as AI

traffic using the FSX default aircraft. This traffic pack now incorporates those traffic files using much more

efficient AI specific aircraft models.

Once you have this AI Traffic pack installed, you are advised to deactivate all the airport specific traffic

files to ensure there is no double up of AI activity at those airports. This can be done by unchecking the AI

Traffic box in each of your airport Control Panels.

Three airports do not have an AI Traffic option on the Control Panel so if you have any or all of those, the

traffic file will need to be manually deleted. This is an easy process and can be done by going to your

Scenery\World\Scenery Folder within your Microsoft FSX folder and deleting the files:-

Traffic_Hervey_Bay.bgl,

Traffic_Cessnock.bgl and

Traffic_Lilydale.bgl

All the Avalon and Avalon Air Show mode Traffic files as well as the Tamworth BFTS CT4 Trainer Traffic files are

outside the scope of this AI pack and should not be touched at this time.â€

It should be noted that AI for the newly released Murray Island is not yet included in the FTX AU Traffic pack so you will need to leave the YMUI AI traffic in place until the next FTX AU Traffic pack Update.

Of course, the above is only our recomendation. If you have a more powerful system and prefer to see lots of AI aircraft at your airports, then by all means, leave both lots of AI active if you so choose. Although this is not how the AI Traffic was set up to be used, it can do no harm to your system.

I hope this helps.

Graham, regarding the instructions you quoted from the User Guide, I notice that those traffic files that I have disabled from the Airports' individual control panels appear to have had a ".OFF" suffix added to them, rather than having been deleted. This seems a safer way of disabling them than actually deleting the file, as recommended in the Manual. That is, just add .OFF after the .bgl part of the file name. In that way, they presumably can be readily restored if needed.

For obvious reasons, it is better for our control panels to just disable files rather than actually deleting them. If you feel you would prefer to keep the older traffic files in case you want to revisit them some time in the future, then it is fine to just add/leave the .OFF on the end of the file name.

It is clear from reading the forums here and elsewhere that we all have our own ways of structuring or managing our FSX system. My preference is to just delete the 'deadwood' (unwanted traffic files) and that is what I recommend but I accept this may not be the preferred methodology for others.

As you say, if the unwanted traffic files are deselected, they will just have the .OFF suffix added and while that effectively takes them out of play, they will be able to be re-selected if wanted at a later date. This would be helpful for those who may decide to uninstall the FTX AU Traffic pack at a later time. If those traffic files are deleted altogether, they will not be available for future use and the 'AI Traffic' option will be greyed out on the individual Airport Control Panels. Of course, if you were to reinstall any of those airports then those individual traffic files would be installed and activated again.

The User Guide has the background to the AI structure and suggested actions but in the end, it is the users choice as to what he/she does in this regard.     

Archived