Winter in PNW

John York

Right, this is it.  I'm abandoning flying over snow and ice.  It was truly beautiful at the beginning of the season but now I'm fed up with it.    Its bad enough here without doing it as a hobby! ::)

From now on until the spring, its Australia and Europe for me.  I'll come back to PNW when the weather improves. ;D

John

I can associate with that!  It's probably the same sentiment that drove me to load-up Aerosoft's Tahiti X scenery yesterday, and revel for a few hours in the sunny beaches and palm trees.

My tolerance for winter has dipped to an all-time low!  :(

:o So since when Howard did Somerset secede from the United Kingdom?  No wonder my Council Tax is so high!

Or is then that you can't spell 'Jon'? ;);D

Yes, Jon I have hawaii too and its very nice but somewhat limited.  After a few flights, well, you know.  I'll take Australia or the UK any time simply for the variety in the scenery.

I'll be glad when we get New Zealand.  Now that's a place for variety, especially over the two Islands! 

John

. . .Yes, Jon I have hawaii too and its very nice but somewhat limited.  After a few flights, well, you know.  I'll take Australia or the UK any time simply for the variety in the scenery.

I'll be glad when we get New Zealand.  Now that's a place for variety, especially over the two Islands! 

John

Agreed, John -- on both points.  It's nice, in these scenic times of plenty, to be able to opt for all these pleasant alternatives.

Ironically, hard winter is set for the Seattle area for the month of January, so in-game the area was snow-covered for the entire month even if IRL it hardly ever got below freezing- so FSX was worse than real life. It had gotten to the point that real weather was giving me highs in the 50s (F) so I kept the real-time weather and changed the date to Feb 1 to get rid of the permafrost. Now if one is flying around PFJ, it probably actually is a wintry wonderland.

Ironically, hard winter is set for the Seattle area for the month of January, so in-game the area was snow-covered for the entire month even if IRL it hardly ever got below freezing- so FSX was worse than real life. It had gotten to the point that real weather was giving me highs in the 50s (F) so I kept the real-time weather and changed the date to Feb 1 to get rid of the permafrost. Now if one is flying around PFJ, it probably actually is a wintry wonderland.

I took off from Prince Rupert yesterday heading Northeast to Alice Arm and about half way there it started snowing big time. Visibility dropped to nothing and I was forced to a frightening rocky landing because that's not a place that can be easily navigated without visual cues. Fortunately I was outfitted with tundra tires that came in more handy than expected.

Have any of you guys ever flown over the valley at Scar Creek, BC during January in a snowy winter setting? You want to talk about some breathtaking scenery!! It's what made me fall in love with that place, and made it my most favorite place in the world to fly. So before you go flapping your jaws so negatively about  winter in PNW, maybe you ought to check that place out first. I guarantee you will be totally amazed by what you see. Also, try checking out places like Skykomish, Ranger Creek (Greenwater), Clearwater, and Randle as well. You know, it just might completely change your mind about flying in PNW in a winter scene!!

So go ahead and give it a shot. What have you got to lose?

'Have any of you guys ever flown over the valley at Scar Creek, BC during January in a snowy winter setting

Skykomish, Ranger Creek (Greenwater), Clearwater, and Randle as well. You know, it just might completely change your mind about flying in PNW in a winter scene!!'

Yep, done all that Heliguy52.  Beautiful but cold, cold, cold! ;D

John

Archived