[SCREENSHOT CONTEST] - Make the new FTX AUSTRALIA SP4 DVD Cover Shot!!

John Venema

Hello all,

The team is in the process of working on the new SP4 release of FTX AUSTRALIA, which is going to include many bug fixes and enhancements.

We also want to offer the Orbx community the chance to provide the DVD cover screenshot.

I will keep this simple:

1. Can be any location in FTX Australia

2. Must NOT feature any airport scenery from Orbx or OZx, just pure FTX Australia only.

3. No payware aircraft in the scene, i.e. use the Default B737 with a Qantas repaint for example, if you must feature an aircraft

4. You can use REX weather

5. The screenshot can not be edited, although you may use up to 20% sharpen and 20% brightness/contrast

6. Should be as high resolution as possible so that quality is not lost when enlarging for DVD artwork at 600DPI

Your shot ideally should encapsulate the "Spirit of Australia"

Resolution

- Highest resolution possible please, to avoid the need to enlarge your shot

- Try to make the orientation "portait' instead of landscape

- The actual resolution of the image used in the artwork is 1550 x 1445

Please submit your entries to this thread, no limit to the number of entries

PRIZE: A free copy of the AUSP4 DVD shipped to anywhere in the world, plus a copy of the magnificent 7cm/pixel YMEN Essendon Airport on DVD when it is released.

Go for it!

CLOSING DATE 6TH FEBRUARY!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an excellent idea ! And what better honnor for custommers to see their pictures on the product !

By the way, an idea : as it is for a DVD, i think there will be a doc... Why not choosen the 10 best pictures : The first one will be the jacket, the 9 others as product screenshots on a little sample page in the doc ?

It's just an idea ;)

I think you'll find the cover has to be of the product that is being sold. If you add ANY addon, someone could say after buying, "Where's the plane on the cover, I can't find it. I want it." John has made it clear and simple, use FTX Australia, and none of his addon airports. Use DEFAULT planes (if you have to picture any), and no editing to make it look different. REX is okay because they recommend REX anyway. Can't be any clearer really.

Picture Pure FTX Australia, the most beautiful scenery developed for FSX.

Oh by the way, my money is on Iain for the best shot, go Iain  ;D

If i may ask, why cannot SP4 DVD have a payware aircraft on it, when SP3 dvd has carenado payware aircraft on it? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Not that i must have an aircraft on the pic, but just a thought that occured to me about this.

If i may ask, why cannot SP4 DVD have a payware aircraft on it, when SP3 dvd has carenado payware aircraft on it? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Not that i must have an aircraft on the pic, but just a thought that occured to me about this.

I'm a bit surprised as my FTX SP3 DVD has Coff's Harbour included... Never get a Carenado inside...

Good idea, we'll use the runners up in the user guide, but only a single prize winner though ;)

You can use ENBSeries since it's pretty much universal these days and I use it on all my cover shots.

Reason for showing a Carenado aircraft on the old DVD cover was because we had a cross marketing agreement with them (in fact, Carenado still exclusively use FTX scenery in their preview shots).

Guys, just a tip - landscape orientation is not preferred for a DVD cover shot. However, if you tip your monitor on its side, you'll produce a "portrait" screenshot which is more suited to a DVD cover. The trick then is to slew and rotate your aircraft so it is on its side.

For example, this is a resized image of what I used for the PNW DVD cover:

Posted Image

Er, turning your monitor on its side and pressing the V key is not editing.

I don't mind if images are cropped.

People ... can we just make some shots and not have a parliamentary debate about the symantecs please? It's a screenshot for a DVD cover, so it makes sense that I have the best aspect ratio to use for such a purpose eh?

Please make some more shots folks, the ones I've seen are great already!

I'm a bit surprised as my FTX SP3 DVD has Coff's Harbour included... Never get a Carenado inside...

Answer for myself... : IDIOT ! gheed was talking about the plane on the cover...  :P

It makes sense that the picture should be adapted to a DVD cover.

When you've taken the picture from FSX, then open it in any editor - paint is perfect ! - and choose the option "image\ flip-rotate" and turn your picture with 90° (in hours sens or against hours sens). If you're satisfy, then save it. That 's all !

Nice submissions! Keep em coming.

What I forgot to mention was that the native resolution of the DVD cover image is 1550 x 1445, so the closest you can get to that resolution the less I have to enlarge your shot, which causes quality loss. I will amend my OP to show the resolution.

Is that more suited to the image requirements for the comp.

Just curious as to where the above entries now stand in regards to the others that will no doubt benefit from knowing that handy little bit of info above.

Cheers and thanks for the tip.

Mike.

Hi Mike, that's great. I have changed the rules so that people can submit multiple entries, because either way, only one shot will be the winner. So have at it some more!  :)

Great shot dextreme , you have to crop it to fit a dvd box .  Man , I wish we could do just standard screenshots and let Orbx crop what they want from it .  Anyways , I'm sorting something out at the moment .

May aswell have a go  :)

Saved it at 600dpi, and resized so my shortest edge matched your requested 1445. Though I think I may have miss-understood, I ended up with a huge image  ???

Anyway, here it is. May have another go though!

Posted Image

Thanks.

What I'm doing here is posting two originals then showing the cropped entries. Reason being is I cant use slew mode , too many addons in the way  - I tried and found myself slewing off at mach 2 and ending up god knows where . Ecza seemed to be one of the culprits .  So , if the guys want one they have the original to work from.  Putting the aircraft on its wingtip is proving challenging -  a short time to line up the shot before the nose starts dropping . Im practising this now which may improve my piloting skills    :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice shot  mrshanks but that seems to be a bit of OZx scenery in there which is not the go ... Its an Orbx product so only Orbx "default" scenery is my understanding    :)

What fun were having !  :P

Oh My, I never knew.  ;D  ;D sorry about that.

I flew half way across Aus to find that aswell !!! back to the drawing board I guess.

I think I might have a go at this competition. Here are a few ones I'll submit for now, I have resized them to 1550x1445.

This one's of Kingscliffe, looking over to Mt Warning, showing coastal and rural living (typical Australian styles of living) with beautiful mountain ranges in the background...

Posted Image

This one's of Narrabri with Mt Kaputar in the background.

[img width=751 height=700]http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/202cover4.jpg

Archived