Cool camera utility

John Venema

This camera was originally posted 30 March 2008 (do a search on Camera), but many new readers would not have seen it. Thanks for posting it again. I always use it to walk around my Cessna 172 and do my flight checks, as I used to do with my PPL. Maybe we need a separate section of this forum where these good ideas can be permanenatly posted - without comments - just one post per utility.

It is a great utility, i use it often. I found it during a search on google about 6 months ago, and have used it recently in my video post on the forum. There is a lot of flexibility with this addon and allows very realistic coverage of any subject.

Russ.

I've been playing with it a fair bit this afternoon but cannot work out how to activate the simulated hand movements.  It took a while for me to get used to it, and I was having trouble unbinding my num 1, 0 and del keys so I could move faster! Is there any way to hide the cursor when you are using the world view camera?

Great add on but instructions are a little light on, I have played with it a bit, when I walk out of the aircraft and look back I'm left with half the fuse missing, just a set of wings and a see through cockpit.

If anyone has the time to upgrade the instructions and post them I'm sure I'm not the only person fumbling around in the dark.

cheers

had the same issue with transparent plane, and then played around with it for a few more minutes and seemed to be working okay.  Still have not totally figured it out yet.  But for free, its great.  Still trying to figure out how to set the camera position for the neat flyby type of views.

Kman,

I have had this utility for a while now and find it great, but you are right! the instructions are a little thin on the ground. The issue you mention about missing plane parts when viewing outside, is not an "issue" with the utility. This is the way FSX handles what is "see's" as 2 different environments. By that i mean when you are in virtual cockpit, the sim uses a different plane model than when you are in spot (exterior) view.

The virtual cockpit mode has all the internal detail and only external parts of the plane that you would see from inside the aircraft (wings, tail plane, cowling etc), the exterior model has all the outside of the plane with only a very basic representation of the interior. They are both two completely different entities in the sim!

Therefore you have two modes of viewing the FSX world, the "VC walk" camera and the "World walk" camera. If you are inside the aircraft you need the VC walk mode, and if you are outside then you need the World walk mode, you cannot transition between the two, as you have found out! (unless you use some seamless video editing afterwards)

The World Walk camera is deployed in a possition of your choosing, you have to get your aircraft to a possition you would like the camera to be placed, then on the EZ Walk utility panel press the "place camera" button under the world walk tab (this is best done with FSX in window mode so you can access the EZ Walk utility at the same time). The camera will now be placed at that location for you to select under "views", but only after restarting FSX. I know it sounds a bit tricky, but once you've done it once it's quite straight forward.

It is difficult to use exterior flyby's etc in real time while flying. The best way is to fly around as you like while using FSX's built in flight recorder, then set your world walk camera up and replay the recorded flight. This way you have a predictable flight path that you can work the camera with.

Hope this helps mate.

Russ.

Thanks for the info on that Russ.  One question about the World Walk camera, is this new view added to the planes aircraft.cfg file, or to your main camera.cfg file?  Seems like you will have to remove these added view when you are done with them. 

Weird stuff.  I can't make the screen large enough to see all the entries / buttons. I can't get it to expand. I only see a bit of the program interface on my screen.  HELP!

didnt even get a chance to test this, installed it and lost any textures on all aircrafts, now I cant even find the folder this little worm installed itself! can anyone help with a location as I want to get rid of it.  Thanks

Yikes, that is not good.  I know when I unziped this, it had a couple readme files and then the exe file.  No actuall install, just the exe file to start the program.  Iam at work right now so not able to see the name of the exe, but you should be albe to see it from the download file. 

From what I can tell, the only file it changes is the cameras.cfg file, by adding the walk in world camera view location.  Seemed to be very unintrusive besides this change.

Hope this helps.

Yeah I dont know what it is but its the only thing I altered for a long time, probably a vista issue but it killed pretty much all of my addon aircrafts paints its very indescriminate. but I am trying not to have to reinstall my whole FSX to fix the issue

Archived