RealAir Turbine Duke S**N!!!!

pilottj

The key points for me -

'A climb from sea level to 25,000ft can be done in as little as 9 minutes. Take off and landing distances have both been cut dramatically — takeoff runway required has gone from 2660 ft in the piston Duke down to 1000 ft in the turbine Duke. Landing distance has been cut from 3000 ft in the piston Duke down to 900 ft in the Turbine Duke'.

and

'Every texture, both on the exterior model and inside the virtual cockpit has been updated and improved. Particular attention has been paid to adding realism to the VC textures in the form of dust, scratches, and other wear. This version of the Duke is still very well maintained but dust is visible on the gauge glass, the windows, carpet, panel fascia and so on. Detailed, realistic reflections have been added to the glass on the VC gauges. The dust and grime on the cockpit windows is now more realistically lit, becoming bright when the sun is shining at it from behind'.

:o

Guest strider

Textures: Every texture, both on the exterior model and inside the virtual cockpit has been updated and improved. Particular attention has been paid to adding realism to the VC textures in the form of dust, scratches, and other wear. This version of the Duke is still very well maintained but dust is visible on the gauge glass, the windows, carpet, panel fascia and so on. Detailed, realistic reflections have been added to the glass on the VC gauges. The dust and grime on the cockpit windows is now more realistically lit, becoming bright when the sun is shining at it from behind. The texture’s fresnel maps came in for close scrutiny and as a result the exterior and some VC textures now feature much more realistic lighting that reflects the environment in a more pleasing and realistic way.

Flight Dynamics: The Turbine Duke’s flight dynamics have been completely reworked to simulate the new turbine power plants as closely as possible. Aside from performance changes, subtleties such as handling changes and slightly lower stall speeds have been modelled. Engine handling, correct engine instrument behaviour, as well as startup and shutdown sequences all came under close scrutiny. Turbine engines are very tricky to model accurately within FSX but we feel we came as close as we could on this release.

Sounds: The sound suite has been completely reworked to match the new engines. The turbine engines sound smooth and powerful, and are a pleasure to listen to while flying.

Cockpit Panels: The panels feature many updated instruments and switches necessary for the operation of the turbine engines, as well as a revised panel layout. New Moritz digital engine gauges have been faithfully recreated in three dimensions. There are now more radio stack layouts to choose from in the new Turbine Duke Config Panel. The realism of our smooth-moving 3D gauges has been further increased by the addition of dust and reflections on the gauges and gauge glass. There are also four different panel colours available in this new version — the original tan, plus white, blue/grey, and black

Here's this too:

"So we'll of course be offering a discount to piston Duke owners but it won't be free - after a year or so of tweaking and developing.

I can also confirm that take off will be extremely lively and there is lots of power in those pratt and whitney turbines....1000 feet run achievable and at least 4,000 fpm initial climb.

We're close to final testing now but we don't like to anticipate release dates until we are sure things are finalised. It will be quite soon though. Thanks very much for everyone's interest"!

Rob Young - RealAir

Love RealAir. My past communications and dealings with them have been nothing but positive and professional, and the SF-260 has been my go-to aircraft for years and years. If I've got some FPS headroom after my system upgrade I'll be in line to buy this. Screenshots look fantastic.

I love the fact that they are making the cockpit textures feel a bit more lived in. That's been just about the only complaint about their aircraft I've ever had (and it was a very minor complaint).

I love the fact that they are making the cockpit textures feel a bit more lived in. That's been just about the only complaint about their aircraft I've ever had (and it was a very minor complaint).

I must admit if they upgraded the Scout VC textures I would be a very happy man. That's still one of my default aircraft even after all these years.

The VC doesn't look greatly different from their piston Duke.  Obviously the PT6s will drastically change the flight model.

The B60 from Real Air has one baffling problem for me - the ASI goes to zero at around 10000ft, regardless of clear warm air and all the de-icing equipment turned on.

The B60 from Real Air has one baffling problem for me - the ASI goes to zero at around 10000ft, regardless of clear warm air and all the de-icing equipment turned on.

I used to have a similar problem. Couldn't exactly pinpoint the problem but it always happened when using REX weather. Seemed to happen at some point near a weather update. Now when I fly the Duke, I use real world weather inside of FSX and have not had one problem since. It's strange for sure.

The VC doesn't look greatly different from their piston Duke.  Obviously the PT6s will drastically change the flight model.

I think it has something to do with the  voltage bug. If you google it you will find a solution quickly.

Yes the electronics suite in the screenshots for the Turbine Duke is still the same basic setup as for the B60 (I bet most of the remaiing B60 owners have long since upgraded the GPS and radios).

It would seem they leave it to the customer to do the upgrade, by buying an expensive add-on like XP reality gauges.

I don't like it, cause I make to many mistakes - I would much prefer to pay an extra $5 for decent equipment in the beginning.

The beautiful thing of having both the piston and the turbine is that the Turbine will be the performance aircraft for sure, but the Piston still provides it's challenges with regard to icing, mixture controls, cowl flaps...etc..  When I was doing my pilot training, one of the most difficult things was hand flying an instrument approach(sometimes partial panel) with a simulated engine failure, in turbulence....and these were in Beech Duchesses and Piper Seminoles...your mind is racing to stay ahead of the airplane.  Instrument approaches are tricky enough when everything is running.  So go out to some PNW airport that has a nice challenging approach with bad weather in the piston duke, shut off an engine and the autopilot and have fun  :D Remember it is Time, Turn, Twist, Throttles, Tires, Talk at each waypoint LOL

Yes, but I am still having trouble with the ASI going to zero at altitude, when:

The only 12 volt output in the config is fro avionics, all others are 24v

All known de-icing is on - fuel vents, pitots, boots, prop

and still it happens!

Yes the electronics suite in the screenshots for the Turbine Duke is still the same basic setup as for the B60 (I bet most of the remaiing B60 owners have long since upgraded the GPS and radios).

It would seem they leave it to the customer to do the upgrade, by buying an expensive add-on like XP reality gauges.

I don't like it, cause I make to many mistakes - I would much prefer to pay an extra $5 for decent equipment in the beginning.

I wasted so much time when I had FS9 trying to upgrade guages, download tweaks, etc.. that I don't do it anymore.

When I want something in FSX I only buy the DVD that "comes with it". If it's not up to a high standard I pass.

I redownloaded and reinstalled - Real Air have an excellent registration system that allows repeat downloads (as some other publishers do I know).

With a reinstallation all seems well so far, and I have had an immediate response to a support email that is also excellent - both for its promptness and detail.  (Again I could write an essay on customer service in this small part of commerce)

Thank you Real Air.

Oh but Talbot you are correct.

Being forced to buy an expensive gauge to avoid the cheap one installed in the orginal is irritating.

Real Air even provide a pre-worked configuration for Reality XP Garmin GNS WAAS 530/430.  A bit obvious.

Hopefully I'm misreading your post - but you're suggesting RA is making you buy the RXP gauges?

Explain to me what developer uses a custom GPS not based on the default one lol?  I can't think of any, except F1 with their Mustang - but the G1000 is a different beast.

The Duke is fully capable with or without the RXP units.

If you have trouble with ASI, try this (in aircraft cfg.) DON'T FORGET TO MAKE A BACK UP OF YOUR AIRCRAFT CFG FILE FIRST IN CASE OF...

electrical]

//BusType, MaxAmpLoad, MinVoltage

//BusTypes:0=MainBus,1=AvionicsBus,2=BatteryBus,3=HotBatteryBus,4-7=Generator/AlternatorBus(1-4)

max_battery_voltage = 24.0

generator_alternator_voltage = 24.0

max_generator_alternator_amps = 60.0

engine_generator_map = 1,1

avionics_bus=2, 5, 12

avionics=1, 5, 12

starter1=0, 5, 1

starter2=0, 5, 1

flap_motor=0, 0, 1

gear_motor=0, 0, 1

autopilot=0, 0, 1

pitot_heat=0, 5, 12

additional_system=0, 0, 1

marker_beacon=0, 0, 1

fuel_pump=0, 0, 1

gear_warning=5, 5, 1

light_nav=0, 5, 1

light_beacon=0, 5, 1

light_landing=0, 5, 1

light_taxi=0, 5, 1

light_strobe=0, 0, 1

light_panel=0, 5, 24

light_recognition=0, 5, 1

light_cockpit=0, 5, 24

Thanks Real - and Ryan I accept your admonishment.  You are right, Real Air doesn't force us to buy the RXP but it is a good bit of 'push' selling.

Having said that, Rob from Real Air very promptly supplied me with the same cfg changes as you have given me Real.  Their response to my support request was outstanding.

Archived