Carenado C340A Approach into Friday Harbor

John Dow

I've fiddled a bit with the air file and the aircraft.cfg file for this release to try and get a bit of 'weight' back into the landings.  For me the flight model floats too much in the last 20 feet or so, I've made some minor alterations to the ground effect, flaps drag and wing area to make it feel more like I would expect a twin with a high wing loading would behave.

Here's a video of a long stable approach into Friday Harbor that for me feels about right:

I've uploaded a file with my tweaks to Avsim, search for C340Mods.ZIP in the next file library update.

Hey John, that's interesting. I'm not a real world pilot but have had occasional experience with flying and my initial concern with the C340 was the strange ground effect on landing. It may well be accurate, I don't know, but I will try out your tweak, thanks a lot  ;)  EDIT Just been on Avsim John but cannot find the file. Forgive me, but where exactly should I be looking?  Next file library update?

UPDATE: OK Avsim had a whinge because I didn't put my email address in the readme file, so it seems you won't be able to download the two modified files from Avsim after all.  However, as they are tiny files and won't upset the system here, I'm attaching them to this post.

I have also uploaded the zip file to flightsim.com it's called C340Mods.zip and it should be there tomorrow.

I would love feedback on these files, they work for me but I haven't exhaustively tested the effect on other aspects of the flight model.

Thanks John, i'll give them a go.  The only thing that concerns me is that one of the beta testers for the 340 said on the avsim forum that the air file was correct, and he had x hundred hours in the 340 in real life, the 'floating' was a peculiarity of the real world aircraft and meant pilots had to know what they are doing to get her down.  If this is so, does your mods take this (realistic) effect out?  I'm a little confused.

No, I absolutely agree Ron and following on from what John was saying in reference to the other forum, if it's true that the diffilcult landing parameters are realistic and part of the plane's aerodynamic characteristics then I will wholeheartedly accept them and learn to fly accordingly. My initial concern was that perhaps it was a bug or Carenado had missed this aspect of the plane's design and it was not true to the real world aircraft, however, I now know differently  ;D;)

I understand the concerns about the reality of the landing and the statements that the aircraft floats a little in real life, I cannot argue other than to say there are at least three real world landing videos up at youtube and they all show a bit of power on and a reasonably quick touchdown, except one where the pilot kept the speed up quite noticeably on a long runway in Switzerland and held it off while reducing power slowly for about 5 seconds, and even he had some power on all the way until the wheels were well and truly planted.

So I based my mods on real world examples.  None of the landings on youtube show the kind of throttle closed behaviour that I found necessary to get the original release down on the mains without floating halfway down the runway.  I believe my video closely resembles the approaches that are seen on youtube, without having the aircraft feel in any way like it's lacking lift in the approach.

So forgive me John, are we saying that the Carenado version does not resemble the real world aircraft and that your tweak brings it closer to the real thing?

Hi Howard

Not exactly sure what you got out of my posts, but I believe if you go to Youtube and watch the three in-cockpit landings available you will see the rate at which it decelerates and gets down to the runway once over the threshold, with the engine sound showing there's still at least a little bit of power on until the wheels touch, and then try and duplicate those landings with the original Carenado files, and then try the same with mine, you should find that my files show landing behaviour considerable closer to the Youtube videos.  Other than that I make no claim as to the accuracy or suitability of my mods!

Archived