My upgrade for carenado's Mooney!....UPDATE!

Russ White

As promised here is the next few screen shots of the work in progress! Getting close to finishing now, just a bunch of really fiddly alignment issues to sort out, as well as some shadow ballancing here and there!

Although the differences are subtle, there are many of them, and they all add up to make a big difference in the sim. i am really looking forward to sharing it with all of you. Sorry if this is a bit of a tease for those of you who cant wait any longer, but the finish line is just around the corner ;D

Several people in the last post were asking about the window effects, you can see from the first picture below the tint removal, and can just make out the dirty window corners and edges. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As ever, your thoughts are welcomed.

Cheers,

Russ.

Yep. It' sure coming along Russ. I love the sticker on the pax side window. The floor mats look just right. The door seals and handles are spot on too. If you own the Mooney, just go for a fly and then compare the rendering of the control yokes between the stock Mooney and the pictures of Russ' mod as an example of the improvement. You'll be blown away.

Thanks mate for putting in the hours -  It's a work of art.

Great stuff, keep up the great work.  From what I have seen sofar take as long as you need. Some things are worth the wait, and from the pics you have shown sofar, this will make one of the best planes even better.  I think Carenado should put this on their website for others to use.  ;D 

Also, thanks for all the hard work on this, looks like pic's of the real plane. 

Mango,

I too found the situation with the dome light frustrating, thankfully i dont really fly at night all that much!

I would not know how to solve this issue, i would imagine it is not a limitation of the aircraft but more a limiting condition of the way cockpit lighting has been scripted in FSX. I am not a coder, i just stick to graphics, so i cant help on that one mate.

Thanks for your comments guys,

Russ.

My sim is arse up again by the looks of things but I'll look into what if anything can be changed Mango.

I get a strange error about some corruption or other but the sim will start by opening a FLT file with the Sim .

Both FS9 and FSX are doing the same thing.

My sim is arse up again by the looks of things but I'll look into what if anything can be changed Mango.

I get a strange error about some corruption or other but the sim will start by opening a FLT file with the Sim .

Both FS9 and FSX are doing the same thing.

That would be great Maurice ! Hope that you can wrestle down the error, sounds like something got mixed up.

You have  used the Shift+L to turn the Dome light off without turning the instrument lights off.

Engine Running sitting in the Dark

Hit L and everything is on BUT remember to do this with the switches and IN the VC  Shift+L and the Instrument Lights stay on and the Dome light goes out.

That would be great for the screen shots, I have vista 32-bit.  In vc, I can use the L key to turn all lights off/on and then use the panel light dial in the vc to turn off the panel lights but it also turns off dome light at the same time. 

The dome/panel lights seem to be linked and do not turn independently.  ???

Brendanstacey,

After this project is finished, there will probably be more cockpits at some point! which ones they are will depend completely on what source aircraft i can get "on-demand" photo's of!

In the case of this Mooney, forum member "squeeker" was able to take shots inside the real aircraft cockpit for me to then sample as textures, for any further project, i would need someone who is able to do the same. Eg for me to do a Piper warrior, i would need someone to have access to the cockpit of a real piper warrior to take shots in. So you see this factor really limits what cockpit upgrades are possible :-\

Cheers,

Russ.

I'll post some screenies if you like

Oh yeah, i would like to see how it looks when it looks like it should...  ;D.

Maurice are you running XP ? There is obviously something different and gwolb is reporting the same issue with Vista. Maybe we can get a small update when we find out why it doesn't work for everybody.

Hey, taken great interest in this thread, and I have a propisition (or how ever the hell you spell it!) for you..

If I were to get as many hi-quality photos for you of a Piper Warriors cockpit, what would the chance be of you doing up the Aussim Warrior? Im sure Brad Disher (the creator) would be more than stoked for you to do it!

I fly out RVAC at MMB and would more than happily get as many snaps as you need of the interiors (and exterior hint hint) for the wonderful aircraft that Brad has designed!

Let me know and I could be on it ASAP!

Hey ptgar1!

Thanks for your post! I am real busy finishing the Mooney project at the moment, however i will probably do more cockpits at some point. Your offer is excellent, this is the only way these upgrades can happen...if someone can take specific shots from inside the cockpit of particular items. So this may be a prospect at some time, however i do not own the Aussim warrior and have not seen it's interior so i would need to inspect that first. I would only do a rework of an interior that has a well constructed 3D model and a usable mapping system for expandability, so i would need to see that first!

Plus, what with all the legal talk that surrounded this project to start with, i would need a firm approval from the creator before attempting any other similar projects.

Thanks for your interest,

Russ.

OK here are my Instrument Lights in my FS9 Version of the 201J

Dome Light OFF

CAUTION  Link image is full size .

Posted Image

Thanks Maurice ! That's like it has to look. Unfortunately it doesn't with the FSX version and i can't get this red GoGo light off. We should bring this to the developers attention... Jay ?  ;D

Really like the job and I am in awe of your talent.  The Carenado Mooney is great but your nav instrumentation is better by far.

Will installation be simple enough for those of us who are IT challenged, and need all instructions in words of one syllable?

If I had to do things like resizing and re-placing gauges I'd be dead.

Hey macca22au,

Funnily enough all the guages and instrumentation are stock! they have not been changed from the original! i have learnt from bitter experience that playing with gauages can lead to disaster, so i have left them well alone on this one!

The install will be a sinch, John Venema is going to produce an installer package for this mod so it will be like installing any other FTX download, simple, easy and no fuss!  :)

Cheers,

Russ.

Russ,

I'm very happy to hear that you mod will finally become available, can't wait to try it!

The only thing now distracting from the perfect Mooney is that default GPS device. Would it be possible for you to mod the new one from RealityXP into your VC?

Best regards,

Markus

mburkhard,

Thanks for your interest, however as i mentioned in the post above, i do not play around with the instrumentation side of a cokpit, so there will be no sat nav upgrades from me!

As a personal project in the past i reworked a thunderchief F105D cockpit by Alphasim, as i was so dissapointed by how it had been textured. Part of the rework was to make the gauges better which involved unpacking a .cab gauge file to work on the individual components. Long story short, the result of unpacking the .cab file and changing some of the elements caused so many problems with flickering gauges, black gauges, NO gauges etc etc, it took days to get it back to normal.....Never again!

I am a graphic artist, so i stick to graphics! gauges and instruments etc are driven by a lot of coded variables and everything has to be just right for it all to work.

Cheers,

Russ.

I am a graphic artist, so i stick to graphics! gauges and instruments etc are driven by a lot of coded variables and everything has to be just right for it all to work.

Russ,

I'm quite bad at coding too... The way I understand it is in order to get a RealityXP device into a cockpit one does not have to edit a gauge but "just" replace one. This I might just be able to do so I'll dig into the documentation... A proper GPS device would certainly look amazing in your VC update.

Best,

Markus

Archived