Second attempt at ATC with Airservices

Ed Correia

Hello all,

Some of you may or may not recall my attempt early last year to join Airservices Australia, to be trained as an enroute controller. I had passed all the psych tests and got to the final interview

stage, where I was unsuccessful. Feedback I received later was that they had some concern as to how I was going to study full time & run my business at the same time.

Well, I have now made it to the final stage again. And this time, I'm no longer self-employed. The testing this time around was a little different. Two-thirds of the applications were knocked out in the first round of online testing which this time around was much more in-depth & difficult. Did a phone interview last week & was successful with that. Last step is a day long session of group & individual assessmets up at Tullamarine airport.

This will take place next week, so I'm pretty excited & slightly nervous. Anyone here have any experience with group assessments when applying for jobs? From what I can gather, they use this method

to see how you work in a group.

I hope to get through this time around & hopefully will have some good news in the next few weeks.

Cheers

Ed

Ed,

To be honest, the best preparation you can make ... is none.

Be yourself, do what comes naturally on the day. They'll work out if you have the right stuff.

There's no value in trying to pre-think these things , in the hope of coming up with the "right" answers.

You may fluke it ... but you'll end up in a job that you're possibly not suited to.

Go with the flow and try to enjoy the process.

Guest bliksimpie

Ed,

To be honest, the best preparation you can make ... is none.

Be yourself, do what comes naturally on the day. They'll work out if you have the right stuff.

There's no value in trying to pre-think these things , in the hope of coming up with the "right" answers.

You may fluke it ... but you'll end up in a job that you're possibly not suited to.

Go with the flow and try to enjoy the process.

+1

Good luck..!

Had a group interview for my job. Did some research on what they'd ask me. So, I spent a lot of time practicing the interview, that meant a lot of talking to myself ;-)

You also have to be aware of your posture when sitting at the table, they'll look at your hands, are they fumbling with the pen all the time, are your knuckles white etc. Sit relaxed, don't change position  in the chair all the time like you've got to go to the bathroom (actually do that before interview ;-)). Take your time when asked a difficult question.

And remember to be yourself.

They'll probably ask open questions like "what are your strong points/weak points or where would you like to improve yourself", "where do you see yourself in five or ten years (your level of ambitions). But you can perhaps dig up what they'll ask.

Hope this gave you some inspiration. I wish you the best  of luck!

Bjorn

i also got the second test sent to me but I can't do it as I just do not have the time to take out of working at this time unfortunatly because I must support my wife and the work I have at this time is not very good so I am looking for a better job but I wish I could do this. I applied to customs at cooly airport but was knocked back I think because my age but I would love to work in customs maybe sometimes in life if you miss the chance when your young you wont get another bite at the cherry.

oh well if my wife gets a great job in time maybe I will have the time to look at better options :)

good luck Ed and please let me know how you go, as i'm in the process myself, I have just been sent an email saying I passed my pyhsc test they made us do. What a relief!!

it was a grueling couple hours let me tell you lol.

I am yet to do the phone interview so trying to be positive and take 1 step at a time.

anyways wish you good luck mate

i also got the second test sent to me but I can't do it as I just do not have the time to take out of working

Its all about motivation, If that's something you really wanna do.

I applied to customs at cooly airport but was knocked back I think because my age

oh well if my wife gets a great job in time maybe I will have the time to look at better options :)

Mate I hope things workout for you, no point in doing something you don't love! Just keep on fighting for it  ;)

Cheers

Bara

Archived