VFR into IMC - A Case Study & Advice (MSFS)

VMC into IMC continues to be a world-wide stubborn source of too many accidents & deaths. In this video we look at a 2022 Australian case study involving a Cessna 182 Skylane, analyse what went wrong in that case, & then provide some advice on preferably avoiding VFR into IMC, or surviving it if entered inadverdently. Hope you find it interesting. If this helps save even one life, I will be a happy chappie. Cheers.

• Upvote 1

What gets me is that the pilot had been IFR rated in the past, but because he wasn't current, he couldn't legally fly on instruments through the cloud. But it seems he could have chosen to climb to a safe height on instruments and proceed to the coast without the danger of CFIT, which surely would have been the better option, even if there were consequences after the flight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Dow said:

What gets me is that the pilot had been IFR rated in the past, but because he wasn't current, he couldn't legally fly on instruments through the cloud. But it seems he could have chosen to climb to a safe height on instruments and proceed to the coast without the danger of CFIT, which surely would have been the better option, even if there were consequences after the flight. 

Yeah John, that’s also what I thought! The whole thing is so weird with such a highly qualified and experienced pilot. He really must have been convinced he could get through at low altitude where he was used to flying!? Cheers.

• Like 1