Simulator support

Budlake

Recent product offers have mostly related to MSFS and, to a lesser extent, X-Plane simulators; there has been very few if any offers relating to the P3D simulator.

Does this mean that Orbx no longer provides for any of the P3D versions?

Mike

The commercial addon market for P3D has shrunk in recent years due to MSFS, according to certain devs, it was actually shrinking before MSFS, MSFS just accelerated the issue. So the right product has to be released for P3D now in order to recover at least some developments costs, which is why there's hardly any new P3D products from any developer

• Like 4

Thanks Joe,

Are you refering to P3D 1-3 or are you including version 4+and 5?

If Orbx are no longer producing, or providing, add-ons for P3D then I cannot see any reason for me to continue supporting Orbx.

I have no intentions of buying MSFS or X-Plane, it was expensive enough for me to transitiion from FSX to P3D, I don't want to do it again.

Besides, from what I understand from some that have moved onto MSFS they very often complain about MS forcing updates at often inconvenient times without any notice. I can empathise to some degree as MS do exactly that with windows. Doing it when I want to fly, to the point where it prevents me flying when I want to, is not something that I am prepared to accept.

Mike

• Upvote 1

P3D 1-3 is defiantly a no-go for devs but the declining commercial side also include v4/5, Orbx are still providing an odd product for P3D 4/5, there's still a couple P3D products on the roadmap for this year, and I think a couple Orbx partners still produce for P3D as well like MK Studios.

I don't work for Orbx (just live in a lot of forums and seeing the same trend). They'll probably be an odd P3D addon here and there, but I wouldn't expect a steady flow of P3D addons anymore

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Budlake said:

Thanks Joe,

Are you refering to P3D 1-3 or are you including version 4+and 5?

If Orbx are no longer producing, or providing, add-ons for P3D then I cannot see any reason for me to continue supporting Orbx.

I have no intentions of buying MSFS or X-Plane, it was expensive enough for me to transitiion from FSX to P3D, I don't want to do it again.

Besides, from what I understand from some that have moved onto MSFS they very often complain about MS forcing updates at often inconvenient times without any notice. I can empathise to some degree as MS do exactly that with windows. Doing it when I want to fly, to the point where it prevents me flying when I want to, is not something that I am prepared to accept.

Mike

Yes, different strokes for different folks.  Priorities. Yours are as stated, whereas my focus has been on the most immersive and realistic experience possible. And in every way MSFS wins hands down, from flight modelling, to scenery, to weather, to graphics overall, there's no comparison. In fact, most of the MSFS world is so well modelled that many airports that required add on scenery in P3D and XP are quite acceptable as default in MSFS, so in many ways the need to augment the experience with add-ons from Orbx and others is actually reduced. 

I'm required to return to P3D occasionally to test scenery, updates etc, and I no longer look forward to it! The compulsory updates that interfere with flying the sim are 1-2 a month and are well advertised in advance, so it's not the impost you might imagine. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Budlake said:

Thanks John,

If, as you say, MSFS is so extremely good why does Orbx and other scenery developers produce so many add-ons for it. Are they really needed?

Mike

Because people who know, live in or visit an area or an airport are often keen to see extra realism and detail. 

• Like 4