What is the difference between Open LC and True Earth?

kdus9212

Bought the current Orbx basepack and northern california to fly to the US. Is openLc North America a scenario that covers the whole of America? What's the difference with True Earth?

Prepar3D Screenshot 2022.05.10 - 00.43.00.34.png

Edited by kdus9212
  • Like 1

• kdus9212 changed the title to What is the difference between Open LC and True Earth?

Hi kdus9212. LC is more generic, adding touches that make the scenery more real but not specifically more accurate in detail. Real Earth uses photo sources to add more accurate detail, still not house-for-house stuff but darned close. I can only speak for myself, but I like LC better. To my eye, True Earth oddly enough has an artificial look whereas LC feels more natural. Others will disagree, so I should emphasize that I'm talking subjective judgment. To me, Orbx base pack, LC, and regional sections make as enjoyable a set of scenery as I need. Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hi kdus9212. LC is more generic, adding touches that make the scenery more real but not specifically more accurate in detail. Real Earth uses photo sources to add more accurate detail, still not house-for-house stuff but darned close. I can only speak for myself, but I like LC better. To my eye, True Earth oddly enough has an artificial look whereas LC feels more natural. Others will disagree, so I should emphasize that I'm talking subjective judgment. To me, Orbx base pack, LC, and regional sections make as enjoyable a set of scenery as I need. Good luck!

Thanks for the kind reply! Is there no clash when using truearth and LC together?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kdus9212 said:

Is openLc North America a scenario that covers the whole of America? What's the difference with True Earth?

Yes, openLC North America covers North America.

BradB is correct that both openLC and TrueEarth products can be installed at the same time and TE will automatically take priority.

Just FYI,

FSX and P3D scenery is made up of separate layers that stack on top of each other to make the complete scenery that you see. 

The Global openLC User Guide has a good explanation with images. 

(You can access it from the product page on OrbxDirect.)

https://Orbx-user-guides.storage.googleapis.com/Orbx-global-openlc-northamerica-user-guide-449757.pdf

image.thumb.jpeg.4d97bc923fde1caac23094203e804a66.jpeg

Global openLC is replacing the default Landclass layer.

image.thumb.jpeg.4fbb355da1a51a268be7d09b7da630b8.jpeg

TrueEarth products use photoreal imagery instead of a LC map and painted textures.  They also include distinct textures and autogen for their coverage areas.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

kdus9212, hope you've got some ideas from these smart fellas. Personally, I use Orbx Central to uninstall True Earth so it doesn't override LC. I reinstall it when there's an area where I want its features. I do own the whole True Earth and LC sets, so I can have the best of both.

• Like 1