Terra Flora v2 package issues ??

Hey Folks,

I was hoping if someone @ Orbx can confirm if there is an issue with the TF2 package.

I ask because, while developing and testing gauge programing I noticed the errors below popping into the ContentErrors.log, quite a few in repeating runs flying from 11S.

error=Texture VEG_BROADLEAF_OAKSYCAMORE_SU_TF_D.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)

error=Texture VEG_BROADLEAF_CHESTNUTMAPLE_SU_TF_D.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13

A review of the TF2 files shows sure enough I don't have them, infact there are only 7 SU (Summer I assume) textures compared to,

21 x Winter

24 x Hard winter

21 x Spring

58 x Fall

7  x Summer

I did perform a verify and no changes to the file count.

There are also a few entries in the orbx_cpl_TF2.xml that don't have the look of being quite right.

The majority are,

<onpath>TF_Common_Orig.BGL</onpath>
            <offpath>TF_Common_Orig.BGL.off</offpath>

But there are a few that look like the below.

<onpath>TF2_Common_Default.BGL.off</onpath>
            <offpath>TF2_Common_Default.BGL.off.off</offpath>

Is there something going on ?

Cheers

Edited by Quantum Amiga

More items.

error=Texture VEG_BROADLEAF_THIN_SU_TF_D.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)

error=Texture VEG_BROADLEAF_MESQUITEOLIVE_SU_TF_D.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)

Has all the looks of a regression issue to myself (I do work for a software R&D company and reguarly QA releases from the dev crews).

Cheers

I seem to remember from a year or more back that the error logs in P3D were developer tools only and did not necessarily represent any faulty in the scenery, and people were advised to disable error log reporting. 

The real test is the scenery itself, if it doesn't show any missing textures then it's almost certainly working as designed. 

Hi John,

Yes logging is typically used when developing and in tracking down and resolving bugs as well as in customer issues, however I'm not about to be burying my head in the sand...

I use logging extensively when tracking down customer reported issues and during development in web, client and server related issues, and I am aware software dev is not an exact science hence why there is QA and there is the availablity of logging.

The way I see it there are 2 x possiblities.

1), The files are actually missing, this would be a bug. I see this in the QA of R&D releases where dependancies and various files are missed, the old adage "it works on my machine" but when packaged things are missed.

2), The files are not intended to be released in the package, however given the scenery is requesting non-existant files that would be a bug.

And I gather there would be holes in the vegetation display given files are requested but are unable to be loaded.

Still there is the issue of the config being regenerated as .off and .off.off what's that all about ? because it seems like enablement is not a possiblity at all.

Cheers

Hello,

it does indeed look as if either the wrong textures are being called or that the right textures are missing.

I would agree that the control panel also seems to be switching files from off to off.off, meaning that 

they are permanently disabled.

Perhaps the best person to ask is @Greg Jones, whose Turbulent Designs were the original developers.

Hi,

The .off and .off.off is the correct naming of the files - for a number of reasons this was the way we were able to get the system working as intended.

As far as any missing textures are concerned, I need to know what your current control panel settings are in order to verify what textures should be being loaded at the time. 

It's always possible that we've overlooked a texture file though I'd be surprised if it's only becoming apparent this long after the product was released. Are you seeing a visual anomaly (ie black textures or lack of vegetation)? The textures your error msgs refer to constitute the bulk of the broadleaf vegetation in the Dark setting (as I recall) this would mean that in areas such as NE US where there's an abundance of broadleaf species, you won't be seeing much at all in summer. Best place to check would be around KMHT.

Regarding the number of textures per season; there is intended to be an variance in the volume of textures for each season and the numbers you're seeing look about right to me.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Thanks for reviewing this issue.

As per your suggestion I created a test flight for KMHT, set to summer with a date of 21/06/2019, then flew around a bit and found an area that looked a little devoid of trees.

A check of the ContentErrors.txt logging showed the following.

• error=Texture VEG_BROADLEAF_CHESTNUTMAPLE_SU_TF_D.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)
  • error=Texture VEG_BROADLEAF_OAKSYCAMORE_SU_TF_D.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)
  • error=Texture VEG_BROADLEAF_THIN_SU_TF_D.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)
  • error=Texture VEG_BROADLEAF_MESQUITEOLIVE_SU_TF_D.DDS failed to load (FE_REQUEST_STATUS==13)

At this point I took  4 x copies of one of the palm tree textures and renamed as the above four files to act as easily identifiable test textures.

Result with missing textures recorded in logging:

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Result using palm tree testing textures to replace the missing textures:

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Looks pretty clear cut.

The Config I'm using is as per:

Spoiler

H:\Addons_P3D\04.Scenery\Orbx\Global\p3dv4\Global TerraFlora v2\scenery\global\scenery

off         TF_Common_Orig.BGL.off
off         TF_FA_Orig.BGL.off
off         TF_SP_Orig.BGL.off
off         TF_SU_Orig.BGL.off
off         TF_WI_Orig.BGL.off
off         TF2_Common_Default.BGL.off
off         TF2_Common_Default.BGL.off.off
bgl         TF2_Common_Desat.BGL
off         TF2_Common_FTX.BGL.off
off         TF2_FA_default.BGL.off.off
bgl         TF2_FA_FTX.BGL
off         TF2_FA_Vibrant.BGL.off
off         TF2_HW_default.BGL.off
off         TF2_HW_default.BGL.off.off
off         TF2_HW_Light.BGL.off
bgl         TF2_HW_Orig.BGL
off         TF2_SP_Default.BGL.off
off         TF2_SP_Default.BGL.off.off
bgl         TF2_SP_Desat.BGL
off         TF2_SP_FTX.BGL.off
off         TF2_SU_Default.BGL.off
off         TF2_SU_Default.BGL.off.off
bgl         TF2_SU_Desat.BGL
off         TF2_SU_FTX.BGL.off
off         TF2_WI_default.BGL.off
off         TF2_WI_default.BGL.off.off
bgl         TF2_WI_Desat.BGL
off         TF2_WI_FTX.BGL.off

I await Orbx's further advice.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 9:28 AM, Greg Jones said:

Hi,

The .off and .off.off is the correct naming of the files - for a number of reasons this was the way we were able to get the system working as intended.

As far as any missing textures are concerned, I need to know what your current control panel settings are in order to verify what textures should be being loaded at the time. 

It's always possible that we've overlooked a texture file though I'd be surprised if it's only becoming apparent this long after the product was released. Are you seeing a visual anomaly (ie black textures or lack of vegetation)? The textures your error msgs refer to constitute the bulk of the broadleaf vegetation in the Dark setting (as I recall) this would mean that in areas such as NE US where there's an abundance of broadleaf species, you won't be seeing much at all in summer. Best place to check would be around KMHT.

Regarding the number of textures per season; there is intended to be an variance in the volume of textures for each season and the numbers you're seeing look about right to me.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Details provided.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...