Elevation Issues

[url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/MpxBpZn3/2021-12-4-21-4-29-510.jpg[/img][/url]

Hi:

I have a ton of elevation issues. I know this is an old issue, but I seem unable to find much.

I strongly suspect the issues are related to the order in my scenery.cfg file, which I've attached. Any chance you could take a gander at it to confirm/dispel my suspicions?

Also, assuming the order needs changed, can you recommend an editor program?

Win10 Home, Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Pro AX, LGA 1200 motherboard, Intel Core i9 10850K (5.2 G/Hz boost clock) 10 Core prcessor, Corsair H100i Pro XT 240mm liquid-cooling RGB, 64 GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM, 3200MHz RGB, 8G Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070, Super GDDR6, 1000W Seasonic Focus Gold power supply, (1) 4TB Sabrent Rocket MVNe PCIe SSD drive, and (1) 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, V-NAND SATA SSD drive

scenery.txt

Hi

No, but you will need to install the product called the "Orbx Libraries", they will install into your existing Prepar3D directory.

You can find the product called the "Orbx Libraries" if you click on "My Products" in Orbx Central and scroll to near the bottom of the list.

KELN.jpg

Doug (or whomever):

I re-installed the Orbx Libraries to the Prepar3d folder, and it now appears in scenery.cfg at entry 140 (attached). Unfortunately, the elevations problem at most Orbx airports persist. I only have Orbx scenery installed.

Poring-thru the forum threads, I have since migrated almost everything to a separate Orbx Central P3D library. The exceptions are ObjectFlow, for which I followed a post from Nick: I created a C:\Orbx Central Library, and installed ObjectFlow there. Also, A2A C172, Accu-Feel, and ChasePlane required their own libraries. Everything else is in the P3D library.

If I could be so brazen as to hog continued attention, I have a number of questions: 

1:  Is the above installation scheme okay?

2.  Am I correct that once scenery files are placed in a library, they show only in add-ons.cfg, and not scenery.cfg?

3.  Is there a preferred sort order for add-ons.cfg, as there is in scenery.cfg?

4.  I have attached my new scenery.cfg and add-ons.cfg files. Any chance you could scope them-out for me?

5.  Once I'm in the air, the scenery is beautiful. It's when I'm at airports that things are awry. Runway lights moving along with the plane, buildings in a hole, runways floating in the air, etc. I've attached the new pix in the hopes it will assist. The pix is KELN, but it is typical of the problems I'm having at most Orbx airports. Any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

scenery.cfg add-ons.cfg

1 hour ago, cheeselo said:

KELN.jpg

Doug (or whomever):

I re-installed the Orbx Libraries to the Prepar3d folder, and it now appears in scenery.cfg at entry 140 (attached). Unfortunately, the elevations problem at most Orbx airports persist. I only have Orbx scenery installed.

Poring-thru the forum threads, I have since migrated almost everything to a separate Orbx Central P3D library. The exceptions are ObjectFlow, for which I followed a post from Nick: I created a C:\Orbx Central Library, and installed ObjectFlow there. Also, A2A C172, Accu-Feel, and ChasePlane required their own libraries. Everything else is in the P3D library.

If I could be so brazen as to hog continued attention, I have a number of questions: 

1:  Is the above installation scheme okay?

2.  Am I correct that once scenery files are placed in a library, they show only in add-ons.cfg, and not scenery.cfg?

3.  Is there a preferred sort order for add-ons.cfg, as there is in scenery.cfg?

4.  I have attached my new scenery.cfg and add-ons.cfg files. Any chance you could scope them-out for me?

5.  Once I'm in the air, the scenery is beautiful. It's when I'm at airports that things are awry. Runway lights moving along with the plane, buildings in a hole, runways floating in the air, etc. I've attached the new pix in the hopes it will assist. The pix is KELN, but it is typical of the problems I'm having at most Orbx airports. Any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

scenery.cfg 26.26 kB · 0 downloads add-ons.cfg 23 kB · 0 downloads

Hi

1. Yes the installation scheme is fine.

2. Yes, this is correct, and they will also show in the P3D in game add-ons menu.

3. No, the sort order does not matter with add-ons.cfg items.

4. Your add-ons.cfg is fine. Your scenery.cfg is also fine...except two entries are unchecked\deactivated, one being the default "Western North America" and the second being the FS Global 2020 Africa mesh.

So please check\activate the default "Western North America" in your scenery library.

5. Your screenshot is far too dark for me to see anything, please post screenshots that are in the light of day.

Doug:

Thanks for catching the un-checked NA box. I've got that checked now. Unfortunately, the elevation problem remains.

The only non-Orbx scenery software I use is Pilot Software's mesh. Should I un-install that (huge) program and see if thats the problem? Do you have any other suggestions? 

It's all Orbx scenery, and apparently in the proper layering. So, it's a puzzle, for sure.

@CaptainLens:  thank you for your input. Somehow your post slipped my notice.

I followed your suggestion, and set my mesh at 5m. I do like the overall resulting effect, but sadly, it had no effect on my elevation issue.

I am baffled. Everything is Orbx, and it all is (now, at least) in proper configuration, but I've lost the ability to enjoy my dozens of Orbx airports because of all the wild elevation anomalies.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what I might try? I'm retired, so I don't mind spending the time to explore this to the ends of the Earth, but I would sincerely appreciate any suggestions you princes of the skies might provide.

• Like 1

Hi

If all your Orbx products are in an external library, you could leave them, and just do a full uninstall and reinstall of the simulator.

Then run the sim once and shut it down.

Then Open Orbx Central and go to settings\help and run the sync simulator function.

On 12/15/2021 at 7:17 PM, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hi

If all your Orbx products are in an external library, you could leave them, and just do a full uninstall and reinstall of the simulator.

Then run the sim once and shut it down.

Then Open Orbx Central and go to settings\help and run the sync simulator function.

Thank you, Doug. I had feared Orbx had given-up on my sorry troublesome butt.  :huh:

Yes; I hadn't read your reply, but I knew about and had considered the shorter method of uninstall/reinstall, but elected to do a full uninstall/reinstall of P3d as well as my Orbx software.

Here's what I did:  after the prescribed uninstall, I ran a disk defrag, ran CCleaner, did a re-boot, turned-off Win10 "Real Time Protection", and did a full re-install of P3d as administrator, this time placing everything in the P3D folder, except the airport and ObjectFlow, which i put in Central libraries (I put ObjectFlow in its own library because it seemed that somewhere Nick had once suggested that to someone as a fix (I have faulty memory, but I figured it couldn't hurt). I re-installed Base, Vector, OrbxLibs, and ObjectFlow, and Orbx Libraries, verifying each after each reinstall.

I then re-installed North America, Pacific Northwest, and Washington. Then I un-installed and re-installed Base (seemed redundant, but my shrinking, fast-disintegrating brain reminded me that I had read to do that from someone somewhere sometime in the forum; again, I figured it couldn't hurt). I then verified Libraries, and ran Orbx Central sync. Then I tested.

Holding my breath, I flew from KELN Ellensburg (because it was the one from which I happened to have taken the pix). No-go. The scenery from the air was gorgeous (as it always is), but the elevation problems remained at the airport (buildings in the air, grossly elevated runways, etc.). :unsure:  I also ran a test from my home strip, W04 Ocean Shores, and there was an added feature: a couple of parked aircraft half buried in the tarmac (to my knowledge, they hadn't even crashed!).

I really enjoy Orbx scenery. Once I'm off the ground, even now, it is enormously enjoyable. Excellent work. Kudos to Orbx. But, P3D default airports "suck"; it really needs scenery add-ons, IMHO. But, I have no clue how to fix this persistent problem. I have I have researched until my eyes burn (after awhile the posts are dealing with really old versions of P3D, and one begins to wonder whether the advice given is applicable). You have certainly tried your best, as well.

At this point, I'm circling the wagons. My choices seem to be: 1) put-up with the airport problem, but otherwise enjoy Orbx once I'm in the air, 2) go backwards and revert to my huge library of MegaScenery gathering dust (I had long ago switched to Orbx), 3) give-up on P3D completely in favor of XP or MSFS, or 4) continue trying to solve the problem (although I'm at a loss as to what next to try).

Logically, I can't see how, but is it possibly caused by my P3D settings? Short of running naked thru the neighborhood, I'll try anything...  :)

Hi

Thanks, and your above process sounds good.

The other issue I am having is viewing your screenshots properly, they are too small and I have not had any success enlarging them. 

It does not sound like a settings thing but I have attached images below of mine.

I will also post a screenshot of KELN in my next post.

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

KELN two screenshots below and no issues.

KELN.PNG

KELN 1.PNG

Two below screenshots of W04 had floating buildings when I arrived from KELN, but no sunken aircraft issues.

So I unchecked\deactivated my TE Washington and no more floating buildings.

I then reactivated TE Washington and still no more floating buildings.

W04.PNG

W04 1.PNG

Oh MAN! I'd give-up a testicle to see it that way!! Very very nice. Thank you; now I'm miserable!  :P

Floating-FBO-on-left-on-the-far-right-th

I don't have anything remotely as nice as yours (neither does the real one!) This taxiway is facing West approaching Runway 7, which is the distant grey line recessed on the right. Floating building obvious.

I know you asked I not send night shots, but I wanted to show you how deep the drop-off was, and you can see it here. Same exact spot. That must be the floating building down there, somehow no longer floating.

Showing-how-deep-the-drop.jpg

This last one shows the sunken aircraft (poor bastards) at W04.

W04-small-parking.jpg

Thank you for your reply and your settings. I'll try those and let you know Monday.

Go Seahawks!

• Like 1

No-go. I created a profile w/ your settings, and I tried to un-check re-check of TE WA, but the curse remains.

I’ve got great equipment, great software, apparently proper installation and organization, yet floating runways, etc.,. Computers are like women, methinks: fascinating & and insanely frustrating, all wrapped-up in the same beautiful package!

would you be so generous as to share your NVIDIA settings, please? The delicate dance between the Win10 graphics settings, the sim graphics settings, the NVIDIA settings, and the monitor settings, like the rumba, is something that has always eluded me. Maybe there’s a conflict there. Your screenshots are so very tantalizing, yet vary wildly from mine.

’I have tried isolating various layers, like serially un-checking/re-checking each of PNW, Washington, even Pilot’s mesh. No-go. Sure is purdy in the air, though!

thanks for all your suggestions. Sorry to be so needy.   :banghead:

Hi

My Nvidia settings are all at default, I don't do anything with them.

Please post again a copy of your “scenery.cfg” file and the “add-ons.cfg” and the “scenery_add-ons.xml” file found at C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5.

Also, KELN and W04 are default P3D airports, so have you had a look at them with just a clean install of P3Dv5 without anything added?

I guess if one is to whine and whinny about Orbx scenery elevation issues, it makes sense to use an Orbx scenery in the tests. Yes; good catch! I just used those because I regularly use them. Duh.

Let's try these instead (I have a smaller monitor upon which I place ATC, an internet browser, etc. It is hopefully much better for the purpose than my 49" curved one).

The first one is Orbx KPSP Palm Springs, lying atop TE SoCal, Vector, and Base:
Parking-at-kpsp-palm-springs.jpg

This one is on a taxiway at CYYC Calgary:

Ya I don't know how you are accomplishing that, I can't replicate the elevation issues if I tried. :)

The CYYC screenshot didn't make it above, but I would like to see it.

So, Please post again a copy of your “scenery.cfg” file and the “add-ons.cfg” and the “scenery_add-ons.xml” file found at C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5.

(Sorry; I didn't mean to send that first one. I wasn't yet done). But, this is from Calgary (not Orbx). The Display settings are in my "Orbx Doug's" profile, btw:

CYYC-Calgary.jpg

The one from Palm Springs, btw, was simply set for a small plane parking lot. I didn't do anything to pose the shot. I particularly liked that one myself!

The next one shows a helicopter below grade at Orbx KTNP 29 Palms, same underlying software as Palm Springs. On the left you can see the taxiway signage up in the air:
Helicopter-below-KTNP-29-Palms.jpg

You had asked about KELN Bowers Field (not Orbx) w/o NA or WA checked. This is w/ your P3d settings. Same air buildings/taxiway, etc:
KELN-Bowers-Field.jpg

scenery.cfg

scenery.cfg add-ons.cfg scenery_add-ons.xml

Thanks Chelsea

I wish you could take screenshots from outside the airplane without the massive zoom factor, is that the nose of the aircraft protruding from the bottom of the picture?

I can still see very little in your screenshots, they are horrible to try and diagnose anything with. For the most part, all I can see is the nose of the aircraft, some tarmac and sky.

The only reason I asked if you tried the sim as a fresh default without anything added, is to verify that these issues are not being caused by a corrupt P3Dv5 install.

Then if all is well with the default install, you could start adding one by one to find the culprit.

I also see you have a library located at C:\Users\Chelsea\Orbx Main Library\p3dv5\.....I would uninstall the Orbx ObjectFlow and Global TerraFlora v2 from this location and create a new library that is not in the C:\Users\Chelsea\ file structure and then reinstall Orbx ObjectFlow and Global TerraFlora v2 to this new location. There have been many cases of Windows permission issues when using the C:\Users\ file structure.

Sorry about the pix. Yes; that's the nose. But, its not zoomed; the point-of-view is moved forward in order to show just above the dash on the screen. That's because I have a physical panel for the instruments. You're right; outside views are better. Thanks for your patience and persistence. I do enjoy my sim.

I hope these shots help. They're all taken with your settings profile. The 2 Orbx airports (Palm Springs and 29 Palms) are taken with SoCal loaded. The 2 (non-Orbx) WA shots are w/ WA loaded. 

KPSP Palm Springs. This was set at "active runway". There appear to be 3 different layers here: the one the aircraft is on, the black flat area below it, and then the street and parking lot areas. Notice the yellow line behind the aircraft:
KPSP-Palm-Springs.jpg

KTNP 29 Palms. Everything black appears to be its own layer, and all appear to be about 50-75 feet above the airport buildings below:
KTNP-29-Palms.jpg

KELN Bowers Field. Notice the curved double yellow line to the left. From it, you can see that the taxiway appears to disappear into infinity. The buildings appear again to be 50-75 feet below the taxiway:
KELN-Bowers-Field.jpg

Home airport W04 (about 6 miles btw from Orbx's free KHQM Bowerman). Same shot; same location, just shows the sunken parked aircraft better:
W04-Ocean-Shores-Mun.jpg

CYYC Calgary. Only sent this because I assumed you might be quite familiar with it. The runway appears to be on its own layer, and appears to angle to the left right over the top of that building below. Hoping that it may be diagnostically helpful, the next (last) shot shows that if I actually follow that taxiway, I will crash into a building:
CYYC-Calagary.jpg

CYYC-taxiway-end.jpg

I also followed your suggestion re ObjectFlow and TerraForma Library files. 

Thanks again for trying to resolve this.

Thanks Chelsea and no worries. :)

My next thought is I noticed you have six different libraries for P3Dv5 on two different drives (listed below). Is this really necessary? I wonder if all these paths are working correctly?

Would it be possible to reinstall you Orbx stuff all in one library? It is also very confusing with all the different but similar Library Titles and paths.

Because my next recommendation would be to do a verify files of all your Orbx products or at least Global base, Vector, all the Open LC products, and all the Regions, so it would be nice if they were all being read from the same library location. Maybe Orbx Central or the simulator is getting confused also lol?

[DiscoveryPath.0]
PATH=D:\Orbx Libraries\Airports for P3dv5\p3dv5
TITLE=Orbx Airports for P3dv5

[DiscoveryPath.1]
PATH=C:\Users\Chelsea\Orbx Main Library\p3dv5
TITLE=Orbx Main Library

[DiscoveryPath.2]
PATH=D:\Airports for P3D\p3dv5
TITLE=Orbx Airports for P3D

[DiscoveryPath.4]
PATH=D:\Orbx Airports for P3D\p3dv5
TITLE=Orbx Orbx Airports for P3D

[DiscoveryPath.5]
PATH=C:\Orbx Central Library\p3dv5
TITLE=Orbx Orbx Central Library

[DiscoveryPath.6]
PATH=D:\Orbx P3D\p3dv5
TITLE=Orbx Orbx P3D

Wow! That is confusing! I did not install them that way.

All of Orbx was installed into the Prepar3D folder, except ObjectFlow, Terraforma and A2A. All Orbx airports were installed into an Orbx library on D drive. I’m guessing this is leftover stuff somehow.

Let me clean it up and I’ll get back later. 

thank you. 

• Like 1

Well, as soon as I think I may have breached the surface of Win10, something like this happens and I'm back to kindergarten!

Path 0 is the only path with files. Path 1 was there, but empty. I deleted it. The remainder were no longer there. They no doubt had been at one point (I've tried several re-installs over time trying to fix this issue), but no longer exist.

I'm thinking that you got those addresses from the files I sent you. So, I've again attached the 3 files you requested in case they now have updated data.

You'll remember I had un-installed and re-installed P3d. I installed everything into the default Prepar3d folder. The only files not installed there were the airports, which are in their own Orbx library, and ObjectFlow & TerraFlora, which you suggested I move to their own Orbx library.

I have now done a re-Verify on all Global and all Regions files, although my technique when I download from Central is to one-by-one install, then verify. I probably over-kill, but...

I then tested. The devil continues to elude us. Maybe the answer is golf?  :unsure:

Please don't give-up on me.

BTW, if I might dastardly sneak-in an unrelated question: is there any disadvantage (memory, etc) in leaving all the Orbx scenery files checked, other than loading time?

add-ons.cfg scenery.cfg scenery_add-ons.xml

Ok, so no, there is no disadvantage in leaving all the Orbx scenery files checked, other than loading time.

So now lets delete the “scenery.cfg” file and the “add-ons.cfg” and the “scenery_add-ons.xml” file found at C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5.

Restart the simulator to rebuild them, then shut down the simulator.

Then open Orbx Central and go to settings\help and run the sync simulator function.

Then do a verify files of the Orbx Libraries, and Orbx ObjectFlow, 

Then have another look at the sim.

Drats! I was really anticipatory on that one, but no-go.

I ran the same airports: 2 Orbx: KPSP (aircraft still in the air), KTNP (still elevated taxiway), and 2 default: KELN (taxiway elevated) and W04 (airplane sunken in parking area).

I am so sorry. I am nervous that I am monopolizing your time. You must suspect me of being a mental institution escapee, but...

If it's diagnostically significant, it doesn't occur at all Orbx airports. For example, I noticed no problem at KHQM Bowerman in Hoquiam (only six miles from W04 here), and I flew yesterday out of KFHR Friday Harbor, without the problem. 

I've only had my computer a hair shy of a year, and I had it built and the software initially installed by the flight sim nuts at Jetline Systems, who Virtual-Fly's American outlet and deal with high-end sims. Its a real stumper. I am so sorry for how difficult its been. I do appreciate your expertise.

Win10 Home, Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Pro AX, LGA 1200 motherboard, Intel Core i9 10850K (5.2 G/Hz boost clock) 10 Core processor, Corsair H100i Pro XT 240mm liquid-cooling RGB, 64 GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM, 3200MHz RGB, 8G Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070, Super GDDR6, 1000W Seasonic Focus Gold power supply, (1) 4TB Sabrent Rocket MVNe PCIe SSD drive, and (1) 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, V-NAND SATA SSD drive

No worries, and no you are not monopolizing my time. :) I am on vacation from my day job and just at home enjoying hanging out with you guys.

I would like to see those three files again tho please (“scenery.cfg” file and the “add-ons.cfg” and the “scenery_add-ons.xml”).

We can be in same boat, because I am feeling a bit brain dead myself wondering what is going on lol. I did consider you may be an escapee but soon we will find out that would be me hahaha. 

I just did a new full uninstall and reinstall of P3Dv5.3, only because I didn't want to do just the hot fix.

I am sitting at KSPS right now and see no floating aircraft or anything, KSPS is looking perfect on my end, and I will do some checking on those other airports you are using as a test.

As far as floating buildings and sometimes floating aircraft are known as a normal phenomenon that can usually be cleared up by just doing a scenery refresh, such as going to the in game scenery library and clicking on OK to let it rebuild.  I somehow seem to think it's based on memory or video memory and something to do with the simulator not calling those objects at the correct time, or them not being available at the correct time.

You have a very nice system indeed, we don't have to worry about that or old style mechanical hard drives.

Just to confirm...you do have your mesh resolution setting in P3D at 5m, correct?

I just did a flight from W04 to KELN and only found near perfection at both.

Also paid a visit to KTNP and all is well, image below.

Another thought....for the airports that are not correct for you, maybe do a search of your entire system for example without the quotes "KTNP.bgl" and see if it will locate more than just the default or Orbx files. 

KTNP.PNG

KTNP 1.PNG

KTNP 2.PNG

Season's Greetings! I was away a few days for the holidays. Now I'm back to haunting you.

First of all, I am soooooo jealous of your screenshots. Ahh... fond memories of 29 Palms as it was artfully created!  

We may be getting warmer.  Choosing KELN Bowers as a non-Orbx test, a PC search using the search term "keln_bowers.bgl" brought-up 5 files:

Screenshot-17.png

However, if I search the folder FTX_NA using the search term "keln.bgl" it finds these:
Screenshot-18.png 

You'll notice that each of 2 folders have 2 KELN_Bowers files: one with "CVX" and one without. The lower 2 folders have "WA" before KELN in the folder name. I'm assuming that I should test by re-naming one or more file extensions, but I wanted to check with you first as to which one(s).

Choosing KTNP 29 Palms as an Orbx test, I did a PC search with the search term "ktnp.bgl":

Screenshot-19.png

Same thing: which of the file should I re-name the extensions?

Hi, Seasons Greetings to you as well!

We don't want to rename any of those files. We were only looking for rogue non Orbx files.

The next move I would make is a full uninstall and reinstall of the SCA region, the CRM region, and TE Washington and anything else I missed that is in those areas of KELN and KTNP.

This is a real brain-teaser, isn't it?!

I uninstalled/reinstalled, then verified openLC North America, TE Southern California, NA Pacific Northwest, and TE Washington. Then, for good measure, re-synced simulator. No dice-a. Parked planes still buried in the tarmac at W04 Ocean Shores WA, and still up in the air at KELN Bowers Field WA and KTNP 29 Palms CA.

Doesn't seem to make sense. Stumped.

Hi

Ok, I have another idea...

Below are the files I have for KELN and KTNP, so maybe compare.

Or, do a full uninstall and reinstall of the TE SCA region, the CRM region, and TE Washington, except this time, do a search again for the KELN and KTNP and delete anything that is left over before reinstalling.

KELN 2.PNG

KTNP 3.PNG