Is there an advantage in buying Landmarks London and Paris while using photogrammetry?

A.Bloom

Hello,

If I am using photogrammetry for London and Paris (from the Asobo world updates), Will it make sense buying Landmarks London and Landmarks Paris? Will the Orbx objects fit seamlessly with the photogrammetry?

Edited by A.Bloom

Hi there

Sure there they worth it and fit so well.

The landmarks completely enhanced many of the buildings in both areas and fortunately they are not expensive

The photogrammetry is yet quite poor specially in London.

I would say it might improve in time but the way they have worked the landmarks is really cool

You won' regret it.

Cheers

Carlos

Here you can see some pictures from me, as a user, so no professional ones

I don't remember having posted for London and I couldn't find a post but I can tell you'll enjoy the prodcuts

Hope this helps

Edited by carlosqr
  • Like 2

Has anyone tried the London and Paris landmarks packs with photogrammetry OFF? do they still fit seamlessly? Contrary to most other simmers I always have photogrammetry turned OFF because the scenery takes ages to load and from lower altitudes looks like a post-apocalyptic wasteland with greybrown distorted building facade textures, bridges where the area behind the bridge is displayed as a solid mass below the bridge (check out Portland, Oregon if you don't know what I mean) and trees that look either like basalt columns or dungeon trap spikes (hello Santa Barbara). Up until now I only read how great the city landmarks packs fit seamlessly into the photogrammetry but never if they also display correctly without it. Until then I'm holding off buying them. 

Edited by fabs79
Typos

On 7/23/2021 at 8:41 PM, fabs79 said:

Has anyone tried the London and Paris landmarks packs with photogrammetry OFF? do they still fit seamlessly? Contrary to most other simmers I always have photogrammetry turned OFF because the scenery takes ages to load and from lower altitudes looks like a post-apocalyptic wasteland with greybrown distorted building facade textures, bridges where the area behind the bridge is displayed as a solid mass below the bridge (check out Portland, Oregon if you don't know what I mean) and trees that look either like basalt columns or dungeon trap spikes (hello Santa Barbara). Up until now I only read how great the city landmarks packs fit seamlessly into the photogrammetry but never if they also display correctly without it. Until then I'm holding off buying them. 

I've settled on PG=off and use the London pack, it works great. The scenery is really crisp and sharp, maybe has that flight sim/computer game look rather than the naturalistic subtlety you get with PG, but the London PG is pretty poor imo, and it spoils the immersion when flying low in the Bell 47G, which is by far my most preferred aircraft. 

50 minutes ago, John Hargreaves said:

I've settled on PG=off and use the London pack, it works great. The scenery is really crisp and sharp, maybe has that flight sim/computer game look rather than the naturalistic subtlety you get with PG, but the London PG is pretty poor imo, and it spoils the immersion when flying low in the Bell 47G, which is by far my most preferred aircraft. 

Thank you, my thoughts exactly, Carlos' shots are great but the low altitude shots along the Thames clearly show the distorted building geometry and textures I mentioned. Also when you fly into a PG area that is not in your cache it loads in awfully slow and the buildings morph from triangular shapes to their final firm while you are flying over them 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Hargreaves said:

the London PG is pretty poor imo, and it spoils the immersion when flying low

Yes it is poor but I think they said it will be improved in time, but currently doesn't look nice, it is a bit better in Paris but London's is the worst

6 hours ago, fabs79 said:

the low altitude shots along the Thames clearly show the distorted building geometry and textures

Agreed

Though I prefer to leave it on.

6 hours ago, fabs79 said:

Also when you fly into a PG area that is not in your cache it loads in awfully slow and the buildings morph from triangular shapes

I think that depends on your internet

I have 100 mb set up to unlimited, it uses the whole bandwidth, so it loads pretty quick

Cheers

Carlos

12 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Yes it is poor but I think they said it will be improved in time, but currently doesn't look nice, it is a bit better in Paris but London's is the worst

Agreed

Though I prefer to leave it on.

I think that depends on your internet

I have 100 mb set up to unlimited, it uses the whole bandwidth, so it loads pretty quick

Cheers

Carlos

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to spoil PG for everyone, if you're happy with it by all means leave it on? I'm glad that the landmarks packs still look good with PG off so I bought the London pack yesterday. Thanks again for the comparison shots. 

• Like 1

Thank you Carlos!

I observed two things though:

1. The "The Walkie-Talkie" skyscraper ( 20 Fenchurch Street ) is facing the wrong direction. I wish Orbx will fix this.

2. The boundary between the photogrammetry area and the autogen is a straight line and very noticeable, but it is Asobo's concern.

9 hours ago, A.Bloom said:

Thank you Carlos!

I observed two things though:

1. The "The Walkie-Talkie" skyscraper ( 20 Fenchurch Street ) is facing the wrong direction. I wish Orbx will fix this.

2. The boundary between the photogrammetry area and the autogen is a straight line and very noticeable, but it is Asobo's concern.

Concerning No. 1 you should report this in the support forum section, maybe they'll make a small update. Concerning No. 2, one more reason to turn the PG off. It just kills the immersion to see these obvious boundaries as it destroys the homogenous, consistent look of the scenery. The Blackshark AI even assigns correct building shapes and roof colors to the autogen buildings based on the satellite imagery, so the overall geometry of the city is still preserved even with PG off, and the textures are much more crisp, and there are no border lines or seams in the scenery. Maybe just give it a try. IMHO the combination of the high quality landmarks and the autogen is enough to make a city recognizable. 

13 hours ago, A.Bloom said:

1. The "The Walkie-Talkie" skyscraper ( 20 Fenchurch Street ) is facing the wrong direction.

I believe this was done so as to not melt any more cars.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-23930675.amp&ved=2ahUKEwjchbn9rILyAhX0xDgGHeQpA98QFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw1ItUVCVQc04pgB-qOwz7QV&ampcf=1

;)

• Haha 1