Vancouver Night Lights

Could someone do me a favor please? Can you set Feb 27th as date and 9:00pm as time on your flight with clear weather, and take a few screenshots of Vancouver B.C. for me? I noted some darkness, where I believed there to be buildings lit up and I am not sure why, also a stream of what literally looked like white Antiaircraft fire/tracers emitting from one building that only had 4 windows lit. Really trying to figure this out...this was on 5k setting, but even defaulting, buildings were darker....going g to look again today/compare to NYC and Chicago which were spectacular. 

Hi Greg,

that looks 'correct'. Photogrammetry is essentially an "unstructured" texture draped over high-resolution mesh and thus has no awareness of where windows are and thus no custom night lighting like autogen or custom buildings do. Instead, some basic algorithm adds window-like overlays at night. In fact, most of the lighting comes from dynamic floating spotlights that illuminate the facades externally.

Photogrammetry and its processing for MSFS can lead to some pretty funny representation of reality, like this Ferris wheel in Tokyo. One can actually gather how the night lighting algorithm works from looking at the daytime screenshot.

Cheers, Holger

MSFS Japan DLC - Tokyo PG Ferris Wheel day and night.jpg

14 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi Greg,

that looks 'correct'. Photogrammetry is essentially an "unstructured" texture draped over high-resolution mesh and thus has no awareness of where windows are and thus no custom night lighting like autogen or custom buildings do. Instead, some basic algorithm adds window-like overlays at night. In fact, most of the lighting comes from dynamic floating spotlights that illuminate the facades externally.

Photogrammetry and its processing for MSFS can lead to some pretty funny representation of reality, like this Ferris wheel in Tokyo. One can actually gather how the night lighting algorithm works from looking at the daytime screenshot.

Cheers, Holger

MSFS Japan DLC - Tokyo PG Ferris Wheel day and night.jpg

Thanks Holger, you educated me also. Never knew that.

Cheers

Graeme :)

Archived