Crash to desktop after scenery install

ABiermans

Hi,

I had a fully functional x-plane 11 install. No problems. I purchase and install True earth US Washington HD scenery for x-plane 11. The game now crashes to the desktop during loading every time. So obviously the Orbx scenery is the problem here. How do I fix this?  That said, if fixing this is going to require weeks of emails back and forth I am just going to request a refund.  Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Also, clicking on the Orbx short cut just opens an empty browser page.

Need your Orbx Central log which should hopefully indicate any installation problems.

Also your XP Log file.

You can get the Orbx central Log file via Orbx central/settings/help as illustrated in the pic below.

1250183120_OCLogfile.thumb.JPG.33bf56bf774201d56fab619f748d598b.JPG

Do you meet all the requirements outlined in the link here especially regarding free disk space and location of your Temp folder.

If you are looking for an immediate answer to the problem then I am afraid it cannot be forthcoming as I will have to resolve the issue from a remote location. This will involve to and fro correspondence so it is up to you if you wish to pursue. If not then you need to raise a Support Ticket:

https://support.orbxdirect.com/hc/en-us/requests/new  @Richard Lincoln for info.

Hi,

Please find attached the requested log files. There were no errors during the install. I have plenty of disk space.

Let me know what else you need.

Xplane crashed with a 'Encountered Vulkan error VK_ERROR_OUT_OF_DEVICE_MEMORY' error. My PC has 32 GB of memory, the GPU has 24 GB of memory.

Not sure which device is out of memory.

EDIT: If I try to load a flight in an area NOT covered by the Orbx scenery the game works fine. So there is definitely something going on between xplane and the scenery it is trying to load.

Thanks

central.log Log.txt

I will ask the Dev to have a look at the logs but the cause of the CTD is being labelled as a Vulkan error. There is nothing in the Logs to indicate an Orbx addon error that I can see. There were/are many reports via Google search of this Vulkan error occurring in XPlane even since the release version. I am not dismissing the possibility that the addon is a possible cause, but the integrity of the addon doesn't seem to have been corrupted at all.

As a test can you try running the addon in OpenGL and report back please. Then try in Vulkan with lower graphics settings. I am interested to know what your GPU model is that has 24GB of memory. Is it a 3090? I am jealous.

Hi,

I changed the render method to OpenGL with current render settings. Trying to load a new flight from say SeaTac (area covered by the Orbx scenery) results in Xplane crashing to the desktop. I then tried loading a flight from Schiphol (EHAM), area not covered by the Orbx scenery pack and the game loads fine.

Switched back to Vulkan and lowered graphical settings to minimal. The flight loads now but obviously it looks like crap.

Visual & texture quality to high (everything else minimal except anisotropic filtering at 16x ): memory usage ~18GB, GPU memory ~6GB. This is just sitting on the runway, so not the most taxing scenario but no crash.

Visual& Texture high, world objects: medium, anti aliasing FXAA : 19 GB / 6 GB

Visual& Texture high, world objects: high, anti aliasing FXAA : 20 GB / 6 GB

Upping textures to maximum now crashes the game. I tried this again and this time Xplane tells me it is running low on memory and warns me the game might crash. Even though the task manager is reporting a total memory usage of ~20GB.  GPU memory usage is still below 10GB. How is Xplane out of memory with plenty of RAM and VRAM still available? I am willing to up the memory if that fixes the problem, the motherboard supports 128 GB of RAM. To answer your question, yes I am using an RTX 3090. Overkill for most games but in this this also used for training machine learning models where that extra memory is important.

On 1/25/2021 at 12:09 PM, Gixxar said:

Not sure if this will work for anyone else? But I got my new system, a i9 10900k, RTX 3090, and if I tried to use Vulcan it would crash straight away. I was have problems with UserBenchmark software regarding the GPU testing part also. So after hours and hours of searching  the web trying to find a solution for UserBenchmarks I came across someone saying that the Nahimic service could cause the Problem. I tried to disable the service in services app/window but couldn't. So a bit more digging and found that it was related to my Realtek Audio driver. I decided to uninstall that driver to see if Userbenchmark would work, and it did so I then tried X-Plane. It loaded up in Vulcan and ran!!! Yes I thought but after a few minutes it crash with the normal error. So more digging around but nothing. So I thought I would uninstall the Nvidia HD Audio driver just to see. to my amazement X-Plane in Vulcan ran perfectly, I have flown for 2 hours now with no crashes and it runs absolutely smooth in VR. Maybe worth a try? Let me know how you get on.

Lee

Dear All,

We are concirdering to buy a new PC. Although the rtx3090 is a verry expensive grahic card, we still think about it.

The bad/said news is there might be a driver problem as Sentry11 reported.

What is the status? is there a solution?

Any input will much appreciated.

Regards Peter KLM051

Current status. If I dial back graphical settings back a bit it will work. Load times are very long despite using an SSD. This is frustrating and surprising. Dialing all settings to their maximum positions will lead to X-Plane crashing even though neither GPU nor CPU nor RAM are anywhere near 100% utilization.

I did not have any Nvidia audio drivers installed so they are not the problem.

For any area NOT covered by the HD scenery I can max out all graphical settings without any issues. So, I don't think there is anything wrong with the scenery itself, somehow X-plane can't handle the 'load' for a lack of a better term. An RTX 3090 has no trouble with the scenery, I think X-plane does since you get a Vulcan out of memory error. A shame really since it prevents you from using an RTX 3090 to its full potential. 32 GB of RAM and 24 GB of VRAM should not result in any out of memory error. Still tempted to try 64 or 128 GB RAM.

What are your XP settings? Reflections is a killer if you have set that to higher than mid range even with your GPU. There is no GPU/CPU combo that will run HD scenery with loads of custom and POI and overlay files, payware detailed planes travelling at jet speed. This is proven by your own experience mentioned above about the areas not covered by HD scenery.

Have you thought about the use of the SD version? I use it as I never really fly below 1800-2000ft and I see no noticeable difference in the quality of the ground texture at all at that altitude. We are talking about  a difference of ZL17 vs ZL16. SD loads quicker and uses much less disk space. Just a thought for you to consider.

Archived