Just had an idea.

Dadtom65

I have an GA-H170-HD3 motherboard with it seems two graphics card slots So I am thinking just for now until I can afford a better card. Plus when they are available.  Could I not buy another 1060 with another 6gb of ram. How does that sound, plus you can buy them on EBay pretty cheap. Just as a stop gap so to speak. Though just thought do not they have to be linked together some how. Thanks Derek.

Hi Derek

I really feel for you as computer parts of any description seem to have become so very expensive.

As I understand from what you told me you are currently using an AOC 2K monitor which your really like (its a great monitor btw) , but it doesn't downscale to a lower 

resolution very well, or at least in a fashion that you find acceptable.

All I ask is for you to consider the following as an option.  The least inexpensive way I could see for you to improve your overall simming experience with your current hardware , at least as a stop gap temporary measure would be to move down to 1080p  for the time being until you are better able to obtain the system that you have planned.

Going from 2K to 1080p is a 1/3 reduction in the number of pixels that the rendering system (cpu through to gpu) has to process. This will result in a reduction in VRAM requirements and an improvement in fps and could be quite noticeable. Your i5 & 1060 are very capable  rendering at this resolution with very acceptable frame rates.

Is it possible for you to borrow a 1080p monitor from a family member ,i.e. in your social bubble ,to try this if you wanted to investigate the idea first without any financial outlay?

If you were to purchase an inexpensive monitor (and there are many available at very good price points in this resolution) , I would suggest that you try to get one of about 24 in in size as its "physical pixel density space" , although not the same as your 2K monitor is at least reasonable. I realize that I am using the term pixel density a little loosely - all I am trying to say is that 24 in is a reasonable compromise at 1080p between the number of pixels and the physical size of the monitor to give a reasonable viewing experience in my opinion.

I recently upgraded from a 1080p to a 2K and to be honest I absolutely love it, so I am well aware of the implication of what I am suggesting. However at this monitor size , the image is quite presentable at 1080p.  Of course I imagine you use your machine for other things, so you could still use your 2K monitor for those purposes . 

It is of course , not to be compared with a 2K, but this is proposed as a temporary measure to give you a more acceptable overall simulation experience in a fashion that minimizes your expenditure at this point in time.

I hope that this might be something that can help you in your decision. I appreciate it is not ideal, and does require you to temporarily change , but if you can consider it, I think that your current system will work very well for you at this resolution.

All the best 

Pete

cc Nick Cooper for info

@Nick Cooper

Hi Pete thanks for your help and yes I do have a 1080p monitor, in fact it’s on my desk now. It’s an HP one but it’s only a 24” one though thinking about it I believe I have a maybe a 27” one up in the loft which I used before I got the AOC monitor. I will let you know. Plus I’m watching a couple of cards on EBay a 2060 Super plus a 2070 Super. Though I’m very wary about buying stuff on EBay. I would rather buy new one but as you know they are like gold dust at the moment. Thanks Derek.

Archived