MSFS Orbx - Scotland

Chewbacca

Hi!

I was just wondering if there is any plans to do anything Scotland wise for MSFS 2020 at the moment? Loved the Orbx Edinburgh Airport Scenery. Noticed sadly MSFS lacks scottish landmarks at this time such as the Forth Bridges and Queensferry Crossing / Kelpies etc. I was also wondering if I could be incontact with any of your developers for information/help in developing some scenery for Scottish Airshow scenery as i've been in contact with the Scottish Airshow Organisers and was wishing to develop some for P3D/MSFS with your expertise! 

Wishing everyone safe and well during the current global pandemic,
Ben "Chewi"

7 hours ago, aero-3fsx said:

Give Orbx time

I think it's more of a question of what the roadmap holds for existing packages coming to MSFS. I think we would all like to see some of the TrueEarth magic sprinkled on to MSFS even if this is only landmarks. Asobo themselves I'm hoping will come to Europe and Scotland soon.

One thing which is a real shame was the Scotish government license for higher resolution DEM data and Orbx not paying to get it (which I completely understand). I certainly hope that Scottish DEM data can be sourced above what I already have in X-Plane, it would make the world of difference.

10 hours ago, aero-3fsx said:

Give Orbx time

Dude, if you dont ask, you dont get, of course everyone is giving Orbx time, you are not helping with comments like that.

Having said that though, Scotland looks MS2020 dreadful in many areas where Bing Maps are lacking, its some of the best VFR country flying areas's too for natural scenery and man made POI's too. there is a great opportunity for Orbx or Asobo to fix this and I would not mind paying for.

At the very least get the Forth bridges right, its not even the depictions of them, its the number of them Asobo have got wrong ... looks dreadful. even FS4 and earlier sims always got this area right and much more.

I've lived in Germany for three years of my life and loved it there, glad you and I are more than happy with Asobo's work there, but Scotland is lacking an awful lot.

There is an opportunity here for someone to do it justice.

3 hours ago, dtrjones said:

One thing which is a real shame was the Scotish government license for higher resolution DEM data and Orbx not paying to get it (which I completely understand). I certainly hope that Scottish DEM data can be sourced above what I already have in X-Plane, it would make the world of difference.

Do you have a link for that and how it effects Orbx.

I'll be happy to push Scottish Gov to find out why something like this is happening.

Not having a go at Orbx, but this is awful news :( and if true needs to be addressed.

PLS feel free to PM me so we can compare notes

Thanks.

1 hour ago, B12 said:

Do you have a link for that and how it effects Orbx.

I'll be happy to push Scottish Gov to find out why something like this is happening.

Not having a go at Orbx, but this is awful news :( and if true needs to be addressed.

PLS feel free to PM me so we can compare notes

Thanks.

Hi B12 :)

The article was in PCPilot for an interview with John Venema, fortunately there is a link on the internet. Sorry in my head I thought it was the Scottish Government - I do appologise - the article references a supplier but doesn't say. I think the point being was at the time it was financially not viable to source higher resolution DEM data for Scotland, maybe that situation has changed though.

http://dl.magazinedl.com/magazinedl/PC Pilot/2020/PC Pilot - January-February 2020(magazinedl.com).pdf

John Venema:Some of the data for the UK is hard to license, such as the nice 10m/pixel elevation mesh for Scotland which a supplier wanted £50,000 for! We also sometimes find it hard to get tree data, which means for much of Scotland we have had to hire junior developers to hand-mark the locations of all the trees in Edinburgh and other cities. This will be rolled out in a service pack. The same applies to Northern California. We actually ended up downloading terabytes of LIDAR data [a very accurate model of the earth’s surface - Ed] and using our own in-house code to create tree-height data - not a trivial task!

Again appologies for the confusion :)

Dave.

Archived