Very strange issue of freezin display in P3D 5

jfri

A new issue has popped up in P3D 5 ( it was not there from start ). First it surfaced and a restart of the system fixed it. But now it seem constant. At Save ESGP and to a lesser extent at nearby Landvetter ESGG the display freezes at regular interval when looking around (TrackIr) or flying around. These pauses could be a fraction of a second or longer up to 10 seconds. In the latter case the whole sim seem to be hanged up for a short while. Setting and which plane does not matter. I even made a flight from a nearby airport and at start no problem but as soon as I got to about 20 nm from ESGP the problem started to show up. When this problem shows up and a I go to another airport the issue vanish. And as soon I go back to ESGP it comes up again.

I have concluded that this is because of Orbx scenery in this way. I completely uninstalled P3D 5.0 and than made a new full install of 5.1. I even formatted the SSD used for P3D. The problem popped up after installing the first Orbx scenery. I also think I remember that the problem first arose after a Orbx libraries update. Then another strange thing. After uninstalling the Orbx scenery the problem did not go away.

What on earth could this be and what can I do ? I don't think I have ever seen such a strange problem before.

I just tried this area and yes, over ESGP when I turn or look around quickly I get long pauses.

I then disabled ESGG and OLC Europe and the problem remains.  I also tested in P3DV4 and the pauses are there as well but not as severe.  That can be explained by the smaller LOD radius in V4.

I think it might be a P3D problem rather than an Orbx one because it seems to be related to the scenery around the harbour and the objects loading into the distance.

However if @Nick Cooper can check as well to confirm we can try to investigate further.

6 hours ago, John Dow said:

I just tried this area and yes, over ESGP when I turn or look around quickly I get long pauses.

I then disabled ESGG and OLC Europe and the problem remains.  I also tested in P3DV4 and the pauses are there as well but not as severe.  That can be explained by the smaller LOD radius in V4.

I think it might be a P3D problem rather than an Orbx one because it seems to be related to the scenery around the harbour and the objects loading into the distance.

However if @Nick Cooper can check as well to confirm we can try to investigate further.

I don't see how it could be a problem with P3D since the problem was not there before I installed some Orbx scenery. Also when this problem first surfaced I did not have GLOBAL pack so it was pure default terrain there

It is interesting to see that it's not only me who experience this

Hello All,

I too concur with what is being stated above. "display freezes at regular interval when looking around or flying around. These pauses could be a fraction of a second or longer up to 10 seconds. In the latter case the whole sim seem to be hanged up for a short while." The only difference here is that I am not using TrackIr but just nor mal panning around the scenery causes this and is visibly more in P3D V5.1 than it was in P3D V5.0

Here are the things I tried and to an extent has mitigated the issue (please note to an extent only but not completely though). I also, I could be wrong and some of you might have already tried this but just trying to help incase this works for you.

1. I have tried this solution mentioned in the P3D forums: http://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=138374&start=15

The solution mentioned in where you need to download Rivatuner Statistics server v 7.2.3 and set it up.  

All the steps to setup the Rivatuner and setup are mentioned along with the screenshot. This somehow seems to help.

Please also make sure you follow the advise at the last which states "Make sure the switch is set to "start with windows". Then restart the PC. Start p3D, set it to "unlocked fps" and have a perfectly smooth sim, of course only if the settings aren't set in a way that cause stutter in anyway"

2. The second thing I tried is "I somehow reduced my stuttering problems by turning off all of the roads/railroads/etc in Orbx Vector. Most of the rest of the Vector features are disabled"

3. I reduced my Autogen Vegetation Density and Autogen Building Density down by one notch.

Hope this helps someone and if anyone could try the same and give some feedback it would be great!

On 11/3/2020 at 5:46 PM, jfri said:

I don't see how it could be a problem with P3D since the problem was not there before I installed some Orbx scenery. 

Hello,

good advice from your fellow customer.

If you suspect "some Orbx scenery", could you specify which Orbx scenery that is please.

I cannot replicate the problem with only Orbx ESGG installed and await your answer, so that I

can test the scenery that you were using.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

If you suspect "some Orbx scenery", could you specify which Orbx scenery that is please.

I cannot replicate the problem with only Orbx ESGG installed and await your answer, so that I

Thanks.

From what I remember the problem surfaced after a libraries update so that is what I suspect. When the problem first surfaced I did not have any Orbx scenery in that area. After complete reinstall of P3D 5.1 I did not have the problem until I installed Global together with the required libraries.

On 11/5/2020 at 2:31 PM, Ams said:

Hello All,

1. I have tried this solution mentioned in the P3D forums: http://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=138374&start=15

The solution mentioned in where you need to download Rivatuner Statistics server v 7.2.3 and set it up.  

All the steps to setup the Rivatuner and setup are mentioned along with the screenshot. This somehow seems to help.

Please also make sure you follow the advise at the last which states "Make sure the switch is set to "start with windows". Then restart the PC. Start p3D, set it to "unlocked fps" and have a perfectly smooth sim, of course only if the settings aren't set in a way that cause stutter in anyway"

2. The second thing I tried is "I somehow reduced my stuttering problems by turning off all of the roads/railroads/etc in Orbx Vector. Most of the rest of the Vector features are disabled"

3. I reduced my Autogen Vegetation Density and Autogen Building Density down by one notch.

Hope this helps someone and if anyone could try the same and give some feedback it would be great!

That thread which is about micro stuttering is irrelevant to my problem. My freezes for several seconds occurs no matter what settings or plane I use and only in the specific area around ESGP.

If I go to a more densely and thus more performance requiring area like KSEA I don't have the problem.

On 11/8/2020 at 7:26 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

Thanks.

And I did answer and are now waiting for your advice

On 11/8/2020 at 7:26 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

Thanks.

I want to clarify that it is not the area around ESGG (I don't have that Orbx airport) but around ESGP. Neither did I have Orbx Global or vector when this first appeared.

The scenery I had then was NA regions and Australia V2 + a number of airports. So I suspect the libraries.

I have been having another look at this.  I've disabled all the sceneries in my sim except a few North American ones that for some reason don't want to untick in the addons list, anyway there are no active addon sceneries in the whole of Europe.  Buildings HD and Open LC Europe are disabled.  The only thing that is left of Orbx scenery in the Global Base Pack.  I still get 10 second stutters.  If I pull the autogen sliders back to nothing I don't get stutters.  The buildings and vegetation that are being loaded must be P3D files since there are no Orbx sceneries active.  (Libraries has also been unticked).

So, my feeling is it's an issue with P3D.  I don't have a virgin install of P3DV5 to play with but I can't think of any reason for the replacement textures in Global to be causing such a problem.

Maybe you need to see if there's anyone over at the P3D forums who has the P3D scenery without any addons to see if the ESGP area is actually running smoothly within P3D?

On 11/17/2020 at 3:14 PM, John Dow said:

I have been having another look at this.  I've disabled all the sceneries in my sim except a few North American ones that for some reason don't want to untick in the addons list, anyway there are no active addon sceneries in the whole of Europe.  Buildings HD and Open LC Europe are disabled.  The only thing that is left of Orbx scenery in the Global Base Pack.  I still get 10 second stutters.  If I pull the autogen sliders back to nothing I don't get stutters.  The buildings and vegetation that are being loaded must be P3D files since there are no Orbx sceneries active.  (Libraries has also been unticked).

So, my feeling is it's an issue with P3D.  I don't have a virgin install of P3DV5 to play with but I can't think of any reason for the replacement textures in Global to be causing such a problem.

Maybe you need to see if there's anyone over at the P3D forums who has the P3D scenery without any addons to see if the ESGP area is actually running smoothly within P3D?

I have made a post about this in the LM P3D client forum and the answer given was to try a clean install and see when the problem appear. When doing this the problem was absent until the point I installed the first Orbx scenery. So me myself is actually someone who has seen ESGP smoothly without addons. And when this was the case I only had P3D files and autogen set at very high. So how could it be P3D files causing this ? If so I would expect it to be present even with no addons installed.

Archived