After updating to 5.1 my waves seem to be missing.

RobC

Hello all, I just updated to P3D 5.1 and so far I'm liking it, I followed Nicks guide for updating to the T and it went smooth as silk. I do have one small problem though.

My waves seem to be missing.

I used the modified waves found here in the forums, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

Any ideas what I can try to get them back?

thanks

Hi Rob, 

There have been so many subtle changes it's hard to keep up.  I just checked a typical rocky shoreline in Orbx PNW and I do in fact see the Orbx Global Wave Effects but less frequently. Once I start seeing them they continue down the shore. EA on or off did not make a difference, nor did whether or not I was using the ultra water setting.  My effect sliders are full right. 

Effects are among the first to go when the sim is stressed and v5 seems to stress my system a lot more than v4. 

Try this, what in the past has been my failsafe way of checking wave effects. In slew mode either start well away from the shore, several miles, or slew in that direction such that you can't see water.  Then turn around and slowly approach the shore. In v4 I would always see waves where they were called for  as soon as I was near the shore. In v5.1 I had to wait a bit, and in one case turn around and head down the shore in the other direction before the waves appeared.  This all may be a function of how powerful my now somewhat dated system is. 

Of course you will want to double check to make sure the add-on is still enabled. 

Cheers, 

On 10/29/2020 at 2:12 AM, RobC said:

Hello all, I just updated to P3D 5.1 and so far I'm liking it, I followed Nicks guide for updating to the T and it went smooth as silk. I do have one small problem though.

My waves seem to be missing.

I used the modified waves found here in the forums, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

Any ideas what I can try to get them back?

thanks

Nick referred to something in that guide that was confusing cuz he didnt actually state the name and I wanna make sure I dont nuke the sim, he said

" 2. Then uninstall the content and then the scenery and finally the top P3D v5 entry in the Windows
control panel."

The top one in the list says P3D Academic and is 68g in size. is it this one he talks about? 

9 hours ago, CaptainLens said:

Nick referred to something in that guide that was confusing cuz he didnt actually state the name and I wanna make sure I dont nuke the sim, he said

" 2. Then uninstall the content and then the scenery and finally the top P3D v5 entry in the Windows
control panel."

The top one in the list says P3D Academic and is 68g in size. is it this one he talks about? 

Yep, like Nick said, follow the instructions step by step, I have done this several times now and it works like a charm.

You have to make sure that IF you have ANY of the Orbx parts installed in the P3Dv5 folder that you pay close attention to that second part as well as you might have to reinstall the Global or some of the LC's, I have EVERYTHING in a library so I just have to re-sync the library/sim and I was good to go. (NOTE: I also re-did my library insertion point again, just to make sure everything was in the right order, not sure if this is even needed but I did it anyways)

And I ONLY delete ALL the shaders from inside the Users/<username>/Appdata/Local/Lockheed Martin/Prepare3Dv5/shaders folder, and the main Prepar3D.cfg file in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5, then you have to run the sim ONCE and fly a short flight because it sets/adjusts your shaders for you, exit the sim, then run it again and you will see some add-ons re-register (like if you have the FSLabs A320) on the second run.

NOTE, not ALL add-ons are NOT 100% ready for this update, I also had to uninstall SODE and reinstall it as it was causing some CTD's at some airports, there is a thread on this over at P3D, also none of the weather apps work yet, they need a "HotFix".  

I am seriously thinking about going back to 4.5 for a year or so....

7 minutes ago, RobC said:

Yep, like Nick said, follow the instructions step by step, I have done this several times now and it works like a charm.

You have to make sure that you have ANY of the Orbx parts installed in the P3Dv5 folder that you pay close attention to that second part as well as you might have to reinstall the Global or some of the LC's, I have EVERYTHING in a library so I just have to re-sync the library/sim and I was good to go. (NOTE: I also re-did my library insertion point again, just to make sure everything was in the right order, not sure if this is even needed but I did it anyways)

And I ONLY delete ALL the shaders from inside the Users/<username>/Appdata/Local/Lockheed Martin/Prepare3Dv5/shaders folder, and the main Prepar3D.cfg file in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5, then you have to run the sim ONCE and fly a short flight because it sets/adjusts your shaders for you, exit the sim, then run it again and you will see some add-ons re-register (like if you have the FSLabs A320) on the second run.

NOTE, not ALL add-ons are NOT 100% ready for this update, I also had to uninstall SODE and reinstall it as it was causing some CTD's at some airports, there is a thread on this over at P3D, also none of the weather apps work yet, they need a "HotFix".  

I am seriously thinking about going back to 4.5 for a year or so....

Thank you for the clarification...... I have mine in a library as well so I think it will be good to go, Im just wondering if there are any issues with the Global products, you say they all seem fine? 

I was told that FsGlobal Weather works with 5.1

Other than my waves missing I haven't seen anything "yet", BUT, except for the initial default flight which looked fine, I have been flying over TrueEarth Florida so I can't say for absolute yet about the entire globe.  BUT, if I have to reinstall Global it's not a huge deal, it goes pretty quick.

I have FSGlobal and it tells me it cannot connect to the sim, wrong version??  I'll try re-installing it.

LM has verified that ASP3D is broken until a hotfix is released so I assumed it was the same for FSGW. 

https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=140043&start=30

Archived